Getting From Madrid to Malaga

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get from Madrid to Malaga. I've checked out renfe and raileurope.com, but I'm not sure if would be better to travel by bus or plane.

Can anyone give me more information or other websites to try? (Especially on buses!)

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

I'm also looking for tips on getting from Malaga to Granada!

Thanks again.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM

buses may be cheaper but not faster than the train as the train takes a newly opened high-speed route all the way. Probably in about 3.5 hours. www.rense.es Spanish rail web site has much more complete info that raileurope.com and can book your tickets on the site for often a whole lot less than RE. But can also easily book IME in Madrid for this type of train. Buses probably take twice as long i would suspect.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Not rense www.renfe.es is the spanish rail website
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Hello! I did this trip 2 years ago. Took a flight from Chicago to Madrid and flew Spanair from Madrid to Malaga. We then took a coach bus from Malaga to our resort in Puerto Banus. It was very easy and reliable!! Enjoy!!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for all the advice everyone! I can't wait... less than two weeks til I'm in Spain!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM

As you have found out there are a lot of ways to get to Malaga from Madrid. The easiest may be by train as it will leave you in Malaga. Flying requires you to get to the Madrid airport and then from the Malaga airport to wherever you are going. There may be a local intercity train once you get to the Malaga airport. You did not stay where you will be staying so I cannot say for sure. If you consider flying, look up Vueling. Do not dismiss the bus if finances are limited. A young university student visited us in Torremolinos when we were there this winter and she took the bus down from Madrid. She said it was comfortable and reasonable. There is good bus service from Malaga to Granada.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I found out that the Alahambra is sold out for weeks, so I'm thinking about staying in the Costa del Sol for the entire weekend. It will be July 20-23. Are there other interesting day trips for Sunday-Monday... I'm interested in seeing as much of Spain as possible while I'm there and I love beaches, nature, architecture and history. All suggestions welcome!

Also, airfare looks much cheaper and faster than either bus or train and the Malaga airport has bus/train services into the city of Malaga, but I'm worried about the time necessary to check in, go through security, etc. Any advice about this?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Nevermind... I just found a thread on day trips from Malaga.

But, still interested in advice on plane vs train vs bus in Spain.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:29 AM

Buses are a good option if you have a tight budget and the distance is not very long, but Madrid-Malaga is long enough to make the train or plane worthy. It's about 7 hours long, while the train is about 4 hours. If you find a good price for the flight..I would prefer it. If not, then the train is a good one too.
To make day trips buses are fine and often the easiest way to go

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM

Madrid to Malaga is an easy trip by train, AVE most of the way, it takes little over four hours. Departs from Atocha station in Madrid, and Malaga train station is in the city center, about 5 eur to most hotels, though some are walking distance.