Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 or 4 day side trip from Paris-- where should I go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody, this is kind of a loosely put together question, but I am planning on going to Paris from June 28 to July 18th and I'm thinking of taking little side trip. I've narrowed it down to London, somewhere on the Amalfi coast, or somewhere on the French Riviera. I'm leaning towards the last two because I love the beach, it will be summer and I don't know if 3 or 4 days is long enough to do London justice. They all sound so good to me so any advice or shared experiences would be helpful!!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Take the 3 hr TGV down to Avignon & visit Provence, or to Aix & explore the Riveria. The Amalfi coast will consume a lot more time in getting there.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

ttt.... please guys!! haha

thanks stu
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM

Hi paka,
The only beach we have here in Dijon is at Kir lake (like Paris plage) but I think you could stop there on your way down south.(1h40 from Paris) It is worth it!
And as I noticed you like pictures here are mine :
http://www.kodakgallery.fr/BrowsePho...id=43499444733

Happy travels!
coco
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:35 AM

London is only a few hours away by fast train, so I think 3-4 days is a good amount of time for London. Actually, I don't like London well enough to want to stay longer than that, it's a very big city and it's just another big city in many ways to me.

I supposed the French Riviera is fine if you know where you want to go, but it will be very crowded down there in July (worse in August, probably). I don't love beaches so don't feel that attraction, but a lot of beaches along there are not that nice, in case you don't know. It will take a lot longer to go each way, also, and with only 3-4 days I would not do a Riviera beach trip.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

The Amalfi is going to be a mob scene, and very pricey. It's also not easy to get to. You might consider the Italian Riviera. How about a town like Camogli? (Fly to Genoa airport.) It too will be hot and crowded, especially on weekends, but you'll be with Italians, not tour buses. And from there you can take boats to Portofino.

Have you considered the western coast of France? I hear it's very beautiful, temperate in the summer and that the food is great. The southern coast of France is also a mob scene, but you might find a less touristed spot down there (and one less devoted to parading around the beach in expensive desinger digs, unless that's your pleasure).

Three or 4 days is certainly not enough to enjoy London. Plus it would be terribly expensive and you could run into a heat wave. And London has next to no air conditioning.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:14 PM

>>The only beach we have here in Dijon is at Kir lake <<

You're kidding - isn't Cassis from Dijon???? Did they name a lake after the famous aperitif made with Cassis & Bourgogne-Aligot wine????

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM

If you're a history buff, go to Normandy. Mont St. Michel is fantastic, the Bayeux tapestry is cool, and all the WWII history is very interesting. We also stopped in Rouen and Le Havre on the way. Rouen is where Joan of Arc was burned at the steak and Le Havre is a pretty port town. We did all these things in three or so days and it was with a four year old in tow.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM

pakabug
What you are expecting?
First what do you mean by love the beach. Sunbathing or walks along it?
Second have you ever been to the French Riviera? Amalfi?
Third do like crowds?
Fourth are you into the city scene or do you want to see some of the country?

If the answer to number one is sunbathing go to the French Rivier or Amalfi. If you just want to be near the ocean with sandy beaches. Go to the Northwest coast of France. Brittany/Normandy.
If the answer to question two is no than here are some things to consider. The beaches in Nice are rocky not sand. If you want a sand beach go to Canne. But you have to pay to get on the private beaches with sand. Although I think this is included with some of the hotels. Monaco will be the most expensive. My preference is Menton. Not as famous so a bit less crowded. And you can do a nice day trip to Monaco and Nice from there.
If the answer to number three is yes go to Amalfi or the French Riviera. If it is no (and your prefernce is swimming/sunbathing)go to the Southwest coast of France near Spain. This is the surf area. The Northwest coast of France is more like the Northeast coast of the US with very beautifully preserved port villages. The French Riviera is like Florida. Amalfi is unique.
If your answer to four is cities than by all means go to London. If Paris is enough city scene than skip London.
Ahh, but IMHO, if you will never have the opportunity to go to Italy and you like crowds than I would say Amalfi. My bias, Sorrento is my second most favorite place in the world.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I also like Menton, but I was there off-season.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM

We need to stop telling people about Menton or it will become the next town to experience massive tourist invasion.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Stu, I'm surprised you don't know that Kir was the mayor of Dijon (until 1968).
Here is what I wrote on another thread :
>History
Canon Kir was the Rabelaisian mayor of Dijon from 1945 to 1968 and loved to drink his white wine mixed with a blackcurrant liqueur to sweeten the often acidic local whites. He was so fond of it that it became the official aperitif at town hall receptions and he authorised a blackcurrant liqueur producer, Lejay Lagoute, to use his name when promoting their Creme de Cassis de Dijon. The best white wine to use in a kir is Cote de Beaune or serve with champagne to make kir royal.<

He decided to built a lake which was inaugurated in 1964 and gave it his name.
If you can read french :
http://dijoon.free.fr/kir.htm
and a blog in English about the lake :
http://mustardzone.com/blog/?p=22

et voilà!