Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trips From Bern - Would You Recommend Any Others?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We currently plan on spending 5 nights in Bern - one of those days will be mostly travel from Paris.

Our Bern itinerary looks like this:

1. Paris-Bern, afternoon - explore Bern.

2. Visit Neuchatel, evening in Bern

3. Visit Thun and maybe Interlaken

4. Visit Chillion and Montreux

5. ?? We are considering Solothurn, Gruyeres and Murten, Brig, Basel?

The next option is to only stay 4 nights in Bern and move on down to Lugano a night early.

Right now our itinerary is

7 x Paris
5 x Bern
3 x Lugano
5 x Venice

We are waffling between 4 nights in Bern and 4 in Lugano though.

Any suggestions?

Any thoughts on our current Swiss itinerary?

Thanks!

Molly
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM

You should definitely try and spend some time in Fribourg. It has some great architecture and is interesting because the line between french and german Switzerland runs through it so it has influences from both cultures. I would think half a day here would be good.

Another option would be to spend some time in the mountain areas. A couple of incredibly cute towns are Gstaad and Zermatt. There is some great hiking at Zermatt and fabulous views of the Matterhorn - both are very stereotypical Swiss villages.

Lugano and the Lake District is beautiful and worth the 3 days you have allocated to it. You can easily travel to Locarno by bus/train - both are gorgeous!

My only other comment would be on spending 5 days in Venice. Not sure if you've been there before but we've been there a number of times and LOVE it but 2-3 days to explore seems to be plenty of time. It's beautiful, intriguing and very romantic but there really aren't a huge number of huge sites to see. Anyway, my two cents on Venice.

Hope that helps...
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How are you travelling? Train? If so, you're spending many, many hours moving from one base city to the next, and then you want to add three or four day trips by train?

I did not find a train between Paris and Bern that was fast enough to provide that first afternoon to explore Bern. But whether you travelling by train or not, I think it would be a shame to spend four or five nights in Bern and never really see the town.

You have no interest in seeing the mountain villages above Interlaken?

What is there in/about Lugano that has you thinking you need to steal a day from Bern?
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:10 PM

Of all the cities we visited in Switzerland last summer, I think I enjoyed Gruyeres the most. They had an interesting cheese "factory", a medieval castle and the best meal I had on the whole trip, fondue, raclette and an absolutely decadent dessert made with meringue, ice cream and double cream! I also really enjoyed Lucerne even if the weather was not cooperating on the day we went.

And although I might be in the minority, I have to agree about Venice, 2-3 days is enough to see everything.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM

Jean- this is so late in coming its embarrassing, but last year, when I was planning a trip with my parents and sister, you suggested the Hotel Belle Epoque in Bern and I've always meant to thank you for that. We stayed for one night last April and loved it. Thank you for making wonderful recommendation!

Molly- I can't help you with daytrips, I've only spent one night in Switzerland, though it was in Bern. It's a lovely little city, and I only wish I had more time to explore it. My sister and I spent some time walking at night- there are all sorts of nice restaurants and interesting looking clubs and bars. There is a beautiful old cathedral that must be wonderful inside...I think dedicating a full day to Bern would be a good idea.

I would also consider doing the 4 nights each Bern then Lugano split, mainly to spread out the train rides. So for Bern, that would give you one day of travel, then say one day of Bern sightseeing, then a daytrip, then either another daytrip or a day to laze around and do nothing, then the ride to Lugano.

I would love to spend a day lazing about in a room at the Belle Epoque in Bern. They have pink toliet paper, a real flower in the bathroom, an automatic window blind with buttons to press to make the blind go up or down (hours of entertainment right there), minibar, huge comfortable bed, and, best of all, gigantic bowls of candy.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM

Meant to post this:

http://www.belle-epoque.ch/

...and gosh what a load of typos in my post. My apologies.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Great feedback thanks guys!

I see that we have many day-trips from Bern...out thought are that we have the evenings to wander the city itself. Perhaps we will make one of our other daytrips just a half day so we have more "day" time.
We will definatly do some more research on the towns and cities you mentioned including Zermatt which I excluded becaue I assumed it was too far?

We are very excited about Lugano. We hope to see Bellinzona and Varenna at least from here. I would love an extra day to check out more of the Italian lake area - Como etc. too.

This would be our first trip to Venice we want to ensure we are not rushed - especially if it is our last stop - but its good to know you were able to comfortably see the city in 3 days.

We are traveling by train. We have been a bit torn by the rather long trains between base cities. (Paris-Bern 6hrs), (Bern-Lugano 3.5hrs), Lugano to Venice (5hrs). This has been the hardest decision of all. We got this hankering to see Venice and showing Paris to my DH was originally the whole point of the trip! On the plus, this trip gives us a bit of a smapler to some areas I have always wanted to see. In the end, I feel like it would be wiser to cut Venice and spread those days out amongst the Italian lakes and Strasbourg in France to cut up some of the train travel - but then...no Venice.

I've lamented these woes before on this site and we've always gotten some great feedback!

Appreciate all of your responses,

Molly
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM

Molly, we spent 3 weeks training around Switzerland in June and loved every moment. We didn't find the train trips too long as the scenery is
so pretty.

We always tried to have our own picnic on the longer stretches. There are great supermarkets near most of the stations, grab a salad bowl, a piece of cheese, some bread and of course a bottle of wine but make sure you pack some plastic glasses and a bottle opener, sit back and let someone else do the driving and just relax and enjoy!
Best wishes for a great trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM

Hello,
Day 1: OK
Day 2 and 3: visit of 2 cities alongside a lake. Both are OK cities for a day visit. Neuchatel has the more old city character with a nice pedestrian area. Thun has a more scenic surrounding once you are at the lakeside. Considering the rest of your trip, I would choose Neuchatel and skip Thun. I would certainly skip Interlaken, which is merely a starting point to visit villages in the Berner Oberland.
Day 3: Visit Fribourg. The old town is fabulous by its architecture and its topography. It also has excellent restaurants. I can recommend some if you want to. In the early afternoon, you could go to Gruyeres. It takes about 1 hour to get in Gruyeres by public transport (bus and train), or 40 minutes by car.
Day 4: Visit Chillon and Montreux, or Vevey. You can have a train ride up the mountains. You could also go from Bulle to Montreux by mountain train (1, 1/4 hours).
Day 5: Solothurn maybe, Brig not at all, Basel if you wish to see a more modern city with excellent museums.
About the waffling, you could also waffle between Lugano and Venice and make it 4-4. 3 full days in Venice is OK.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:19 AM

Hi MollyBrown,

Great choice to use the train system! I think you'll find it to be easy -- and FUN!

You haven't said if you've been to Switzerland before. If you have not, I'm concerned that you don't have any trips up into the high mountains; all of your trips are to other cities and towns. I think you would really enjoy spending at least one day in a car-free mountain village, topped with an excursion to a mountain peak. That's a really beautiful and essential picture of Switzerland. You might consider Mürren & Schilthorn or Wengen & Jungfraujoch.

I would do the mountain village & peak instead of Neuchatel and/or Montreux (much as I love Montreux).

Have fun!

s
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Hello, Molly.

Bern is such a lovely old city with so many daytrip possibilities that you could spend ten days there and never run out of splendid experiences.

Have you tinkered around with the rail schedules at the sbb website? You might be able to combine Murten with Neuchatel one day (I preferred Murten). Your visit to Thun could make time for the castel at Oberhofen across the lake from Thun, or Spiez just along the same shore, or even Brienz on the next lake over. I concur with eliminating Interlaken.

To go up into the hills a bit, perhaps you could combine a visit to Chateau d'Oex with your visit to Chillon. Yes to Solothurn, and Fribourg, and Gruyeres. So many beautiful places; so few days. And did I mention Lausanne? I love that old city.

Will you be traveling at the time of the year for a vineyard walk? If so, you cannot miss a stroll through the Lavaux, and a look at very tiny S.Saphorin. OMG, I'm not helping you narrow things down at all. Good luck! J.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:03 AM

When I was working in Basel for several weeks, I did a lot of daytrips. Out of those, Neuchatel was probably the most disappointing. I wasn't that crazy about Thun either, but it was a damp, rainy day, not particularly good for enjoying its setting.
Basel is an interesting place, but perhaps not on such a short trip when there are other places you'd like to see.
At any rate, I'd recommend skipping Neuchatel.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys! You've given us lots to consider. Clearly we will have to revisit Switzerland many times to see all of its splendours.

We've been leaning toward medieval towns/villages because that is so foreign and interesting for us. We live not far from the Rocky Mountains, so we are hesitant to spend time where the goal is mountain scenery (though if we can see old stuff while in the mountains all the better - lol!)

BTilke - I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Neuchatel - that was our first choice for a day trip. Fribourg also sounds very cobblestoned and interesting.

I do like train travel so that is a saving grace. We rarely get to sit back in forced stillness looking out the window in our daily lives. I suppose that is a better way to view the lengthy train rides...

jmw444 - I'll have to look some of those spots out! Oberhofen etc, I haven't come across some of them before. We do love a good castle.

Thanks again!

Molly