Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 nights outside of Paris - What to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-nights-outside-of-paris-what-to-do-791666/)

Flying_Kangaroo Jun 23rd, 2009 05:53 AM

3 nights outside of Paris - What to do?

My wife and I have three nights to do something outside of Paris and are not sure what to do. We are arriving at Paris Orly at 4:00pm Oct 6 (a Tuesday). At this stage we think we would like to spend our time in Provence, away from cities etc.
We are thinking of flying straight to Marseille from Orly as there seems to be no direct trains and we can get cheap flights. We won't arrive until around 8pm.

What I would like to know is:
Do we get a car and drive straight to Avignon after landing and base ourselves there for the 3 nights or have our first night in Rousillon for example? Or should we stay in Marseille for the night and head off the next day (and to where?)

What are the best places to see (I take heaps of photos!). So far our draft list contains Avignon, St Remy, Rousillon and Arles. We don't want to do too much and it seems that these are all within driving distance of each other. Anywhere else?
Too many options and I'm getting more and more confused!!

On top of that, is there somewhere else totally different we should consider??

Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Flying Kangaroo

BobbyPam Jun 23rd, 2009 05:58 AM

Hi Kangaroo -

How about Giverny? It's a charming small village, and Monet's garden and house are breathtaking!

adrienne Jun 23rd, 2009 06:03 AM

Of the towns you mentioned I would stay in St-Remy as I really liked the town and it's a good base for a few days. I prefer a town large enough to have restaurant choices so I don't have to take the car out at night. You can walk to restaurants and have as much wine with dinner as you want to without worrying about driving afterward, especially on dark, windy roads. Then take a stroll around the town after dinner.

StCirq Jun 23rd, 2009 06:11 AM

Jeez, BobbyPam, can you please read what the posters are asking? Giverny is a nice place, but it has nothing to do with what the posters you are responding to are asking. Is it the only place in France you've been to or what? Give it a rest.

To Flying Kangaroo: I'd either follow your proposed plan of flying to Marseilles and then driving to Avignon (it's an easy drive), or take the shuttle over to CDG, spend the night, and take an early morning train to Avignon. If, as you say, you want to be away from cities, I'd rule out Arles and Avignon. My choice would be St-Rémy or another town like that in the Bouches-du-Rhône.

Flying_Kangaroo Jun 23rd, 2009 07:10 AM

Thanks guys
Sounds like St-Remy is a good place to stay.
St-Cirq, I suppose when I said cities I meant big cities. In a trip we are staying in Tokyo, London, Rome, Paris and New York. I hear really good things about Savignon though.

Flying Kangaroo

BobbyPam Jun 23rd, 2009 08:07 AM

Chill out StCirq!! He was asking for the best places to see outside of Paris, and I was just trying to help. How about you give it a rest, huh?

StCirq Jun 23rd, 2009 11:29 AM

No,he said <<we would like to spend our time in Provence, away from cities etc>>

Giverny isn't anywhere NEAR Provence. And you've responded to several other threads with the same irrelevant NON-helpful suggestion. That'll get you zero credibility here in a heartbeat.

BobbyPam Jun 23rd, 2009 12:09 PM

StCirq: Bullying also gets you "zero credibilty in here in a heartbeat". Try an anger management class!!

yk Jun 23rd, 2009 12:16 PM

BobbyPam, I see that you are relatively new here. If you stick around a bit longer, you'll realize that StCirq has decades of France traveling under her belt, so sorry to tell you this, her suggestions have 1000% credibility in my mind.

BobbyPam Jun 23rd, 2009 01:23 PM

YK, my point is that I won't tolerate being bullied when all I'm doing is offering suggestions that people are free to disregard or follow as they see fit. Just like everyone else here!