Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 nights in Rome, 'best' (accessible & safe) areas to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-nights-in-rome-best-accessible-and-safe-areas-to-stay-786289/)

rishijd May 24th, 2009 08:20 PM

3 nights in Rome, 'best' (accessible & safe) areas to stay?

Hi,

I've been doing some research on Rome (my wife to be and I are going for our honeymoon, starting in Rome for 3 nights this August) :) :) In regard to hotels:

I was considering the Quirinale area first, but after some feedback on how safe those areas are (near Termini, especially to walk around at night).. I want to consider these areas:

- Pantheon,
- Campo de Fiori
- Navona

Would anyone say if any of these areas are 'unsafe' or 'inconvenient' in terms of transport? For example lets say my wife and I come back from a tour in the day, and then at night we want to walk to dinner and explore the night life in the area, and come back late at night. Will transport be a problem, or will walking be unsafe (i.e. I assume lots of tourists will be around)?

My other concern is transport - if I will be able to easily use buses or taxis? For example in Campo de Fiori, will it be easy for me to get to and from my hotel if I stay in that area? (please let me know any areas you do/do not recommend if this is an issue).

Finally :) Are taxis quite expensive in Rome and do people usually take buses, or would you usually use taxis as a tourist? Say from the international airport to the hotel, and then the hotel to sites like Vatican City or the Termini station..(considering whichever area you are familiar with from the above list)

Many thanks!!
Rishi

kybourbon May 24th, 2009 08:34 PM

First, the Quirinale is not by Termini, but your other choices are a bit more central. They are all essentially within a few blocks walk of each other. The historic center of Rome is pretty compact with areas that are pedestrian only. You will be walking much of the time.

From the airport many of us train in, but you would still have to get from the train station to your hotel so it would make more sense to taxi (fees are set, but make sure you get an official Rome taxi) or book a car service. The price will be about the same (around 40€). If you book a car service, they will wait for you outside of baggage claim with a sign with your name on it. Make sure you stop at the ATM in the airport so you can pay them.
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/

Lexma90 May 24th, 2009 09:35 PM

The Pantheon and Piazza Navona areas (within 5 min. walk of each other) are more centrally located than Campo d'Fiori; all are very safe. Each time we've visited Rome, we've walked around those areas very late at night, and there are always many Romans and tourists around.

We're quite active in our "regular" lives, so tend to walk more on vacation than others might; we rarely take buses or taxes, except to and from the airport. In Rome, the subway doesn't go in the historical center, so it's best for destinations like Ostia Antica. Anyway, most everything that tourists want to see is within walking distance of the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area.

Vttraveler May 25th, 2009 03:50 AM

All three areas you mention are close to each other (within a few blocks) and convenient to many tourist sites. They are places you can (and would want to) walk around safely at night. Probably you would want to have dinner in that central historic part of the city, too. Another major area for restaurants and nightlife is Trastevere, across the Tiber, and that is an easy walk or tram ride away.

I am not sure where you think you would be leaving from for tours so can't really comment on that part of your transportation concerns.

Our family stayed in the Jewish Ghetto neighborhood east of Campo de' Fiori a few years ago and walked or used public transit, mostly buses, the whole time.

bardo1 May 25th, 2009 05:44 AM

Pantheon, Campo de Fiori, and Navona are all excellent options, all easy walks to most tourists sites (including Vatican City) and all safe for evening walks. I would pay the few extra Euros any day to stay in one of those three areas.

bardo1 May 25th, 2009 05:52 AM

I would have your hotel arrange a driver (around 40E) for transport between airport and hotel. You'll be exhausted and disoriented. It is your honeymoon after all. Once you are in Rome and oriented, I would walk (mostly) or bus (very occasionally) to get around Rome.

SaraLaw Jun 24th, 2013 03:45 PM

agreed with bardo1

nytraveler Jun 24th, 2013 04:42 PM

For a trip 4 years ago.

hollywoodsc Jun 26th, 2013 03:34 PM

nytraveler - thanks for the laugh!

darlenef17 Jun 26th, 2013 03:50 PM

Pantheon, Campo de Fiori, and Navona are all great options for what you were looking for.

For a honeymoon, I would not chose Campo de Fiori. It draws a younger (college age) and rowdier crowd at night. The other two areas are busy and bustling at night as well, but the crowd is a bit more diverse. Of course, this is just my opinion. That said, from a location and safety aspect you cannot go wrong with any of them as they are all in the historical district.

We recently returned from Rome in May and stayed close to the Pantheon. We walked everywhere, including the Vatican and the Colosseum. We only took public transportation to the Borghese Gallery (bus) and to and from the airport/train station (taxi).