Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 nights in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-nights-in-paris-97630/)

Janie Dec 27th, 2000 05:26 PM

3 nights in Paris

I'm looking for a book or a knowledgeable source to help plan an itinerary for a long weekend stop-over in Paris during Oct 6-9, 2001-the "must-sees". I'm would also like recommendations on unique restaurants, preferably close to the Madeline area. Thanks!!

Edye Dec 27th, 2000 05:32 PM

Janie, janie, haven't you done just a little research before posting? For a book, I would try Fodor's Paris which has lots of good recommendations, and after I read the book and knew a little bit about what I wanted, I would read all of the Paris threads vaialble by doing a search on this forums website. There are no definitive answers as to the best or right things to do, excpet to bring clothes which can be layered because it can be cool, and to pack comfortable shoes because you walk your ____ off! And plan to use the Metro which is the best public transportation in the world imo. We had a great time in Paris in Oct 2000. Just start reading everything you can!

elaine Dec 28th, 2000 09:16 AM

Janie <BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me. It includes suggestions for guidebooks, maps, sightseeing, restaurants, etc.

Christina Dec 28th, 2000 03:42 PM

If you only need Paris planning rather than more of France, I'd recommend Frommer's Paris guidebook; they give good itineraries for a couple days in a city. I'm not familiar with Fodors as much, as I haven't seen one of theirs in some years. I don't think the other major guidebooks will be as well-organized or helpful from their format for what you need. On the other hand, you can gain a lot of information online for free. For a couple day visit, you could forego the guidebook and get very good summaries of the cities and major sites on the Rough Guides web site (used to be able to, anyway, haven't seen it in a while) and www.timeout.com/Paris is superb, it's just a little more time-consuming and clunky to click every section and print it out in comparison to buying a book and perusing it. Generally unique restaurants are very expensive, not sure if that's what you had in mind. I don't think of any food as being that unique in one particular restaurant as there will always be another one around Paris somewhere with good food of that style, so I think of decor as being unique. Lasserre in the 8th arr isn't far from the Madeleine (it's near the Grand Palais) and is unique in that it has a retractable roof where you can see the stars; it's not cheap (maybe US$100 a person). I think the Eiffel Tower restaurants are unique, of course, because of their view and because they are in the Eiffel Tower (Altitude 95 is cheaper, Jules Verne very expensive) but it's not near the Madeleine. Le Souffle in the 1st arr. near the Concorde metro isn't far from your requested area and is unique in that the menu revolves around souffles and is very French. If that sounds good to you, you will probably like it; it is not super expensive.

Susan Dec 28th, 2000 04:20 PM

Janie, <BR>Try leafing through some of the travel books in Barnes & Noble or Crown Books. I like the Eyewitness Guides, they are so beautiful. I also like Fodors. But, you know, you can get a lot of info on the web - for example, if you think you might be interested in the Left Bank, try searching for "walking tours left bank" or something. You'll be amazed how much you can get.