Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 nights in Lisbon...would love suggestions of where to stay

Oct 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi fodorites. I have't used the Portugal section before but looking forward to hearing form everyone! We are picking up our 21 year old daughter in Alicante, spain (she studied abroad) and flying to Lisbon for 3 nights-Dec. 16, 17 & 18. What hotels would you reccomend and why?
Oct 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Lapa Palace or Four Seasons. Lapa Palace is not the best location but it is a GORGEOUS hotel. I loved it! Four Seasons is great to and a good location. I have some info about them at http://www.bombasticlife.com
Oct 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM

The best located are the Bairro Alto Hotel and the Heritage Av Liberdade Hotel. These are two lovely hotels. Charming and not too large.You are next to good shopping and restaurants, specially in the Bairro Alto Hotel.

I agree the Lapa Palace is beautiful but very out of town center. The Four Seasons for me is too big. If you like large hotels it's ok.
Oct 6th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Mondial, reason: location (at Rossio, steps from the Baixa).
Oct 6th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Mundial is very centrally located and very close to Rossio train station.
They have a fabulous rooftop restaurant with awesome views of Lisbon. The only down side was the very slow elevators!
Oct 6th, 2007, 12:02 PM

We stayed at Mondial too and found the location to be very good. We had a nice corner room that was quiet and roomy. Breakfast is very busy and you may have to wait a bit in line unless you take the back entrance (which we did).
Oct 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM

We spent 4 nights in the Avenida Palace Hotel in early September and were very pleased with it. A simple room, but beautiful public areas and competent service. Fabulous central location one block North of Rossio.
Oct 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM

We recently stayed at the Marriott for a business conference and then moved to the Lapa Palace. The Marriott is a typical Marriott but very far out of the touristy area so that there's nothing you can really walk to. It's ok as a conference hotel, but I wouldn't stay there on vacation.

I loved the Lapa Palace. There's a great pool and garden area. In December, you probably won't get much use out of the pool, but most of the rooms overlook the pool and gardens and have a balcony and you can hear the fountains running during the day during our visit.

The restaurant at the Lapa Palace is excellent, as is breakfast. Look for specials on their website. The staff is very helpful and their concierge is great. They also can arrange car rentals with Europcar at discounted rates.