Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 Nights In Dublin (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-nights-in-dublin-460229/)

dj917 Jul 16th, 2004 09:10 AM

3 Nights In Dublin

We are planning a very short 5 night trip
the last week of September, this is also our first time to Ireland.We would like to stay in a B&B in Dublin and would like any suggestions.We would like to explore other ares as well but not sure which direction to go . I have read Rick Steves' book but I seem to be more confused.Dingle sounds wonderful but not sure if it may be too far for such a short trip and maybe we should just explore outlying ares from Doublin. Any ideas?? Thanks Donna

chris1234 Jul 16th, 2004 10:19 AM

I cant speak for any B&B's but 3 days/nights in Dublin is plenty. I think you are on the right track to spend a couple nights in the country. there is a lot to do in the countys south of dublin between dublin and cork. have fun.

dj917 Jul 16th, 2004 12:38 PM

Chris,
Thanks so much for such a prompt reply.
Do you have any othe suggestions?

althom1122 Jul 16th, 2004 12:51 PM

While 5 nights is a short time, I wouldn't spend more than 2 nights in Dublin. In fact, with so little time, maybe just one night! The west beckons! Dingle is indeed wonderful - certainly the most scenic place we visited while in Ireland recently - but quite a drive from Dublin. Galway with its proximity to Connemara and the Aran Islands is also worth considering - and not quite as far (just under 4 hours) as the Dingle area. If I were you (and if you're pretty energetic!), I'd spend the first night in Dublin and then get an early start for either Galway or Killarney and spend the rest of your time there before heading back to Dublin. From Killarney, you can see Muckross House and parts of the Ring of Kerry in one day (the drive to Kenmore is beautiful), and the Dingle Peninsula in the next. If the considerable amount of driving puts you off for such a short trip, there are many areas around Dublin that are well worth it! We visited Glendalough, Kilkenny and arrived at the Rock of Cashel all in one day. (We move fast!) The Rick Steves' book suggests many other options near Dublin - but definitely get out of the city and stay in a B&B or two. Ireland's charm, we found, is in its rural areas and small towns.

mkdiebold Jul 16th, 2004 02:27 PM

The drive between Dublin and Dingle is really long. The closer you get to Dingle (actually, any place along the coast) the worse the roads get. They are very narrow and lots of blind curves. If you are unable to find enough interesting things to do in and around Dublin, AND if you want to a little bit of "the real Ireland" including the driving challenge, I'd head to Galway and then play it by ear. If the weather cooperates, see the Aran Islands and some of the Connemara area. Driving to Dingle just isn't an easy trip unless you are use to left-hand driving on roads the size of a typical USA driveway!
As for B&B's, I can't recommend anything in particular. If you insist on booking ahead, just make doubly sure that it is located where you want it located. If you want to stay in the city center within walking distance to the night life, then make sure you don't have to get back in the car and drive.
If I sound negative, I'm sorry but I just returned from a 2 week trip that didn't meet my expectations. I didn't know enough before making plans. Consequently, we booked B&B's that were in the country rather than the city, and we factored in way too much difficult driving. If I can save you some disappointment, then I feel my trip has some redemptive value.