Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 nights in Burgundy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-nights-in-burgundy-998516/)

ReneeLJ Nov 22nd, 2013 01:51 PM

3 nights in Burgundy

As part of our trip to France we were planning 3 nights in Burgundy (this will be after 7 nights in Paris and before we move onto Lyon for 2 nights, then somewhere in Provence for 5 nights, before making our way to Italy) I just wanted peoples opinions on whether 3 nights would be too long to spend in Burgundy, or whether it would be better to spend that extra night in Lyon? We are wanting to experience the French countryside which is why we chose Burgundy, would like to stay at a B&B so we can have more of a 'homely' experience rather than a hotel. Have researched some and found a few, one we like the sound of is in a place called Sacquenay. Does anyone know this area, would it be a good base? We are planning on hiring a car for the time we are there so we can see more of the area.

michelhuebeli Nov 22nd, 2013 02:04 PM

Three nights in Burgundy will go by like that, there is so much to see and do. Sacquenay is just barely still in Burgundy, right on the northeastern border, unless you have overwhelmingly compelling reasons for staying there, you could do better in more central locations.

But first you need to know just what interests you, because you'll only have three days, and because you'll soon be next-door in Lyon - what will you do there?

Point of interest - Vézelay (a must for many), Beaune (Hôtel Dieu etc), Dijon, Mâcon, Autun, and on and on. What are your interests? History? Wine? Architecture? Cuisine? Figure that out then make your choices, it could be that Sacquenay involves more driving to and from than you'd like.

More info at www.burgundy-tourism.com of course.

iris1745 Nov 22nd, 2013 02:12 PM

burgundyeye.com

dugi_otok Nov 22nd, 2013 02:59 PM

I agree with Michel. Earlier this year we stayed 3 nights near Beaune at LA SAURA B&B which we liked very much.You could stop in Vezelay on your drive from Paris.

http://www.la-saura.com/en/index.asp

Jocelyne, owner of La Saura, was very helpful in recommending and making dinner reservations. Also planning daily activities.This B&B is listed in burgundyeye referenced by iris above.

StuDudley Nov 22nd, 2013 03:12 PM

>> 3 nights would be too long to spend in Burgundy<<

Three weeks might be a little too long - but 3 days is too little time, IMO. We were there for 2 weeks a few years ago - and didn't have time to see everything we wanted to see. We were in Lyon for 3/4 of a day this past July, and saw everything in Vieux Lyon (where the traboules are located) - plus about 1 1/2 hrs in the Fabric museum. We never got to La Presqu'Ile section.

If anything, 2 nights in Lyon & 4 nights in Burgundy would be my choice.

Here is an itinerary I did for a friend who stayed in Burgundy for 1 week.

Burgundy
Use map 328
Leave Annecy by heading north on the A41, then west on the A40 toward Nantua, then southwest on the A404 , and then north on the A40 towards Bourg en Bresse. Stay on the A40 as it turns west towards Macon.
Switch to map 320.
Head north towards Dijon on the A6. At exit # 27 near Tournas, get off the freeway & follow the roads to Cormatin. It is circled in red on my map (the bluegreen marks indicate towns with restaurants we considered dining at). Visit the Chateau Cormatin** (pg 162) – this is one of our favorites. The interior & especially the gardens are fantastic. Look at the brochure titled “Route des Chateaux en Bourgogne du Sud”. Cormatin is in there. Note that there may be a lunch closing. Don’t miss this chateau.

Visit another chateau if you have the time – perhaps Couches or Sully (see the brochure). Or head to Beaune for a visit.

Visiting Cheateaux in the brochures:
Save your ticket for the first chateau, and you will get a discount on the second chateau. Save the ticket on the second chateau & you will get a discount on the third, etc, etc, etc. This was the case for the chateaux in the “Route des Ducs de Bourgogne”, and it may be the case for chateaux in the “sud” chateaux brochure

Monday (remember, shops close in Dijon & Beaune).
Leave the Gite & take the D17 south to La Rochepot – this is a pretty drive. The town of Orches is quite cute (noted on my map). Continue on the D17 to La Rochepot or Nolay.

Market in Nolay. This is a very small market, but the town has several antique shops. If this interests you, go there. I think the shops are open on Monday because there is a market there on Monday

Vist Chateau Rochepot*. Pg 279 in my Green Guide.. Note that it closes for lunch

Visit Chateau Sully* (pg 305 in GG) or Chateau Couches .

Tuesday
Visit Beaune*** in the AM. This is one of our “top 5” medium sized cities in France. Spend the better part of the morning there. The “popular” Hotel Dieu*** gets a lot of attention and it is quite elegant from the outside – but only OK on the inside. But it deserves a visit on the inside.

Afternoon – one of the chateaux you didn’t visit yesterday.

Wednesday.
Head out northwest on the A6. Get off the A6 at Exit # 21 and head towards Tanlay

Get the “Route des Ducs de Bourgogne” brochure. Remember about saving the entrance tickets.

Visit the Chateau de Tanlay**. This was our favorite chateau in the region. Tours start at 10 – so get there then . It is about a 1 ¾ drive from the gite (1 hr of freeway).

Next, drive to Noyers & explore this cute village. Note on villages in Burgundy - compared to Provence, Dordogne, and many other places you have visited in France – there are not as many “cute little villages” in Burgundy. This is one of them, but not in the “top 50%” in France.

Visit Chateau Ancy le Franc** Note that it closes for lunch – that’s why I have you visiting Noyers during lunch. If you can get to Ancy le Franc by 11:30 when their last tour of the morning departs – do that if you don’t mind back-to-back chateaux.

Visit Abbaye de Fontenay*** if you like abbeys.

Take the D980 south from the Abbey to Semur en Auxois*. See pg 296 in the GG. This village is more interesting from the outside than from the inside. As you take the R de Paris from the D980 toward Semur – there is a very nice view of the perched village. If you want to see the “scene” pictured on pg 298 of the GG. Circle clockwise around the exterior of the village to where I have marked “fantastic view” on the GG map of Semur. Next, drive toward the informatioin center (marked on map) & park your car outside the “gate” of town & explore the old section of Semur if you like.

Thursday
Visit Dijon*** This is our favorite city in France – after Paris. Find the “Dijon the Owl’s trail” brochure I sent you & follow this walk. The walk is fantastic. The “centerfold” has the route for the walk.. This may be market day in Dijon at Les Halles – but only in the AM. Lots of interesting sites to visit.

Friday
Head out north on the A6. Take the exit #22 and find your way west to Vezelay** pg 314. We did not approach Vezelay from this direction – we visited Vezelay after Auxerre. But I figured that on your last day in the gite, you might only want to do a half-day – so I “cut out” Auxerre – which is too bad because we really enjoyed Auxerre.

After Vezelay, head south on the D958 on a pretty drive to Chateau Bazoches. I mentioned Vauban earlier – this is his chateau. There is a “self guided” tour, but note that it closes for lunch.

Stu Dudley

jamikins Nov 22nd, 2013 03:47 PM

3 nights will barely scratch the surface of this lovely area. A day in Beaune and a day in Dijon are musts...

Our pics from the area are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gir...7607493717331/

rhon Nov 22nd, 2013 10:03 PM

I have to agree with the others. We have spent four weeks in different parts of Burgundy and are going back again next year. It is a large region with lots to see, wonderful food and wine. For us it is the countryside and small towns and villages as well as larger places such as Dijon. Three nights is only two days, so yes. It is not long enough.

waterdog Nov 23rd, 2013 03:48 AM

We spent 5 nights in Beaune in September. We visited Dijon for a day and toured the area for a couple of other days and we still did not see everything we wanted to. We plan to return for a longer period of time in the next year or so.

Huggy Nov 23rd, 2013 05:16 AM

Hr

MarySteveChicago Nov 23rd, 2013 06:01 AM

Wish I'd followed all these recs when we stayed in Beaune! A week was not long enough! The food! The wines!

Stu, had to chuckle about the fabric store since I have read your Provence itinerary! Your wife is a woman after my own heart!

joannyc Nov 23rd, 2013 09:23 AM

Bookmarking

ReneeLJ Nov 25th, 2013 03:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions! Think we have found a place to stay in burgundy now which is more central to Beaune than Sacquenay (which is where I first looked). Thanks for the suggested itinerary Stu! Thank you iris1745 for the suggestion of the website 'Burgundyeye'...great website!
Now onto our planning for Lyon:-)

waterdog Nov 25th, 2013 05:18 PM

If you dine in Beaune, for a fun place with a great wine list try Ma Cuisine. Reservations are always helpful.