Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 3 Night Stopover mid September - What to see/do?
Notices

3 Night Stopover mid September - What to see/do?

Apr 28th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

3 Night Stopover mid September - What to see/do?

I'm excited to take advantage of Icelandair's stopover on our way back from Europe to the US! Now I just need to decide how to best use my time We will stay downtown Reykjavik all 3 nights. We're most excited about the diverse landscape and hopefully seeing the northern lights. Any thoughts on this itinerary, and how to spend our one "free" day? We're young and fit, so hiking on well-marked trails is always an enjoyable way to see an area.

Day 1: Land at KEF in afternoon; evening in Reyk, maybe northern lights tour at night
Day 2: Golden Circle Tour
Day 3: ???
Day 4: Blue Lagoon in morning. 5pm flight back to US.
Apr 28th, 2016, 09:03 PM
mms

You will love it! We did a stopover in October and have a return trip planned for just there.

Your plan looks good. We did not rent a car, so used Grayling for the Golden Circle Tour. It was very good! I would spend day 3 in Reykjavik, since you won't have much time there otherwise. There is a really good free city walk tour (you tip what you feel it is worth, and he takes any currency) run by a guy who graduated a few years ago from college. You can tell he really loves what he does! Those tours are at noon each day, and you do need to book ahead as they fill up. Then after the tour you would have the entire rest of the the day to check out more of the city. We did not make it to the BL as we ran out of time. Really wished we had, as everyone we know that has gone has raved about it. When our kids went over NYE, they said we really missed out by not going.

Search this Thread