3 month stay in Italy

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
nlm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 month stay in Italy

My husband and I will be retiring in 2010 and are planning to go to Italy for a 3 month stay to become immersed in the culture. Presently we are thinking of renting an apartment in Florence - thinking that the location is central - won't need to rent a car except on occasion and it is close to the train station. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for us. Also, which 3 months of the year would be the best.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 09:07 AM

How about spending a month in three different cities? Rome, Florence, Venice?
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Well there's no way I would do July or August - just way too hot/humid and mobbed with tourists.

I too would do a month in 3 differnt places - since getting to many rom Florence will be a trek - in terms of both time and money.

Depending on you interests, you cold do a month in Florence, a month in Rome and a month either in Sicily or the northern lakes region or even the Amalfi coast.

Based on where you will be staying I would probably do April, May and June.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Given 3 months---and a desire to immerse in the culture--I would pick locations in 3 diverse regions and in towns with good rail connections but not major cities. My choices are:
April in Sicily[ Cefalu or Siracusa]
May in Lucca, Tuscany
June in Asti, Piemonte
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM

We stayed for nine weeks in Venice last Christmas for most of December, all January and a little of Feb. Pretty cold, but not too many tourists. You'd find my trip report if you clicked on my name. Three months - excellent!

Florence would be a good choice.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM

nlm,

I'd suggest April through June. And I might add that for a trip of that length, the value of a personal porter can't be overstated. I'm sure I could clear my schedule for you should you see the necessity.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 05:47 PM

I wrote a little about Venice. Mainly ramblings, collected (and not so collected) thoughts, impressions of a nine week stay. It's here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-verbose.cfm
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Do not spend the summer in Italy unless you love hot and humid weather. If it were me I would spend a 3 month shoulder season in Italy, fall or spring. If you have never been then spend a few weeks in Rome, Florence and Venice (spend the coolest months in venice because it is at it's very best then). If you really want to get a taste of all of Italy you need to spend a little time in the country. Little villages, little restaurants, bars and just sitting around in a small village. Tuscany, Umbria, Piedmonte... just spend time in a smaller place than Roma, Firenze or Venice.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Congratulations on your retirement!

Definitely April, May, June. I would start in the south (Sicily perhaps) and then move north as it gets hotter. I would not want to be in a city in June because of the heat and I would move around among several destinations. Florence may be central but day tripping via train or bus will take a lot of time. Many of the small towns in Tuscany and Umbria (and other areas) are best seen if you have a car as public transport is not frequent.

Finish up in the north - the Lakes and Domomites where it would not be so hot in June.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Just a jealous 30'something checking in to bookmark this one. I am estatic at the possiblility and love reading about y'all who pull it off.

Buena Sfortunata! (took ITA 101 few yrs ago, I could say it... spell it tho!?) - Kristy
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:59 PM

I'm in Florence right now for six weeks, and while it's not nearly as long as three months, I can tell you that we're absolutely loving every minute. We rented an apartment through www.firenzelodging.it - Lorenzo and Francesca have been fantastic and our apartment is exactly like the pictures on the site. We're in a simple one bedroom, one bathroom and although it's small, it's set up where you don't necessarily notice the size. We're in the Oltrarno part of Florence - which is nice because it's not filled with tourists and the associated noise. I highly recommend it, but I can see the perk to doing at least one other town for an extended period of time. Train tickets are adding up pretty quickly for us!
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Auguri (Congratulations)on your retirement!I have lived in Italy for twelve years and I'm certain you will enjoy a three-month stay and the chance to get to know the country better. I second some of the others with suggesting spring - April, May and June are very nice. July and August are just too hot and Florence is often one of the hottest cities in Italy in the summertime. Enjoy the planning!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM

April-June for sure! Or September-November.....this way you'll avoid the evil muggy summers. And staying in Firenze itself you won't need a car, but it may be nice to do a month in the city and then maybe rent an apartment in a farmhouse or villa outside for another month and enjoy daytripping through Tuscany's natural beauty. Here's a link to a site that always helps me out when I need to house guests or house myself outside of Rome and they have some apartments and suites too, as well as private apartments in Tuscan villas..Personally I stayed at "Le Macchie" last summer and it was still convenient to be able to drive into all the cities, but the surrounding area was just soooo peaceful and lovely....now I miss it: Anyway: http://www.italiancollection.com/en/...partments.html

Just remember that even though you will get a discount on an extended stay, the weather is nicest in high season, so that may bump up the cost. If you care little about weather and more about budget come in November or January
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 11:34 AM
nlm
Original Poster

Ciao to all - thank you for all of your suggestions - it will be a great help as we plan our adventure. Now leaning toward the spring time and like the idea of not spending the entire time in one place. Thanks again
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I vote for spring or fall. And for 6 weeks in two places.