Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 full days at Santorini. What to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-full-days-at-santorini-what-to-do-182478/)

Gilberto Mar 26th, 2002 05:33 AM

3 full days at Santorini. What to do?

From may 26-29 will stay at the hotel Volcanoes view villas. Any suggestion on what to do will be apprecciated.

Paige Mar 26th, 2002 05:41 AM

You could spend a day wandering around Oia, another driving around the island (Akrotira-I think that's the name of the ancient ruins, the black sand beach, the little villages) and another day wandering around Fira. Have fun!

Wendy Mar 26th, 2002 08:24 AM

Santorini is so beautiful! You will really love your time spent there.<BR><BR>I highly recommend Akrotiri. It is very interesting and doesn't take long to go through. When you finish you are very near a little, not so well known by the tourists, beach called Red Sand. It is gorgeous! You can hike in to it, it's not acessable by car! and then in the afternoon a boat comes and you can take the boat back to Black Sand beach. A great day!<BR><BR>Also we really enjoyed taking donkeys up to Ancient Thira, the top of the highest point on the island. We went up in the morning and then walked to Perissa beach in the afternoon. <BR><BR>Diving or snorkling the volcano is suppose to be a blast (couldn't do this as my friend had a broken foot!) <BR><BR>And as Paige stated wandering Oia and Fira are fun and relaxing also!

Jeri Mar 26th, 2002 09:11 AM

Gilberto-<BR>Was on Santorini in 93'. Had the BEST time. Very relaxing!I hope the places I am recommending are still there.<BR>In Thira town there was a magnificent little bar called the "Sunset Bar". Owned and operated by a gal from Santa Barbara. The best place in the world to watch the sunset (I know because that's my favorite thing to do while travelling). Go before sunset, grab a drink, sit on the patio, listen to the music and relax like you've never relaxed before.<BR>Also on the island, the beaches mentioned above are truly fantastic. Rent a moped or motorcycle to get around. It's the most fun.<BR>For breakfast, there's Mama's Cafe-run by "Mama" with the foulest mouth around but the cheapest breakfast. Her husband runs a small restaurant on the Caldera called "Georges". No menus, just the daily specials. He will have you fat and happy by the end of your trip.<BR>Enjoy, I'm envious!<BR>Jeri

Wendy Mar 26th, 2002 09:26 AM

Oh I loved the Sunset Bar! She makes the best margarita's!!! Great memory Jeri!

Alexia Mar 26th, 2002 09:37 AM

Go to Oia to watch the sunset. Many small restaurants and bars play classical music to the sun setting. <BR>Melissa's Wine Bar in Oia is excellent.<BR>Do not moped to Oia.<BR><BR>Go to Selene's Restaurant in Fira.<BR>Kamari Beach, Perissa Beach, Red Beach (watch jellyfish on rocks).<BR>Go to Akrotiri - well worth it and great views along the way.<BR>The wineries in Santorini (particularly Boutari?)is excellent.<BR>But most of all, enjoy getting lost through the maze of cobblestone walkways in Fira.

michelle Mar 27th, 2002 08:13 PM

Sunset bar is really quaint and nice. Stay in Oia or Imerovigli for a night. Otherwise, I think Fira or just outside (Santorini Palace Hotel) is really nice. Kamari is fun for the day. Sit on the beach. But the other beaches are nice too. Some of the wines are good but I didn't make it to the winery, although there's what looks like a really nice hotel there. Like everyone says, Akrotiri is worthwhile. Most of all, enjoy the FOOD and architecture. It's awesome there.

Monica Mar 28th, 2002 05:09 AM

Here's my web site of our trip to Greece in May 2001: <BR>http://greece2001mjp.homestead.com/greece2001.html You can read about what we did, check out the restaurants we dined in (Lucky's has the best gyros!) and see some photos. <BR><BR>My husband and I really enjoyed our stay in Santorini (Enigma Apartments) and hope to return someday soon.

Blaise Apr 3rd, 2002 12:56 PM

These are all good thoughts. My wife and I rented motorbikes and went everywhere on the island. If you do this, start back from Oia before dark, the road is narrow and unkept - at times it dropped straight down a few hundred feet.<BR><BR>One place I didn't see mentioned is Alt Thira - an acient ruin at the top of the island. Some think is was built by Spartans. Spectacular views from here.<BR><BR>I also vote for Akrotiri - where else will you see a 4000 year old Minoan ruin.<BR><BR>If it's still there, we wandered into a "ghost town" where an earthquake 50 years ago had chased people from their homes. We rode in close to sunset and it was a little erie, yet magical. Cool to see if it still exists in that state - I'm sure the travel books will say.<BR><BR>Other than that, the beaches, bars and dining will keep you busy. Have fun!

BasicBlack Apr 3rd, 2002 03:02 PM

You can catch a 'cocktail hour' cruise<BR>on an old sailing boat; it goes out to<BR>the islet in the caldera and you get<BR>off and hike/swim. The view looking<BR>back to Oia and Imeroviglia is amazing<BR>at sunset.<BR><BR>Selene's deck for dinner at sunset is<BR>pretty spectacular too!