Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 days London, 3 days ---, 3 days Cotswolds (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-days-london-3-days-3-days-cotswolds-339529/)

joanw Jul 21st, 2003 06:58 PM

3 days London, 3 days ---, 3 days Cotswolds

Please help us fill in the middle 3 days. We will be driving, so have some flexibility. We are looking for quaint villages. Can you suggest some and some b & b's as well. Thanks. Joanw

Mrs_Wilde Jul 21st, 2003 07:49 PM

We did a similar trip 2 years ago only with London at the end - we went to Bath then Chipping Campden. Stayed at the Holly Villa in Bath, Kettlehouse B&B in Chipping Campden. Both places were very comfortable with great breakfasts. We drove around the Cotswolds for several days and overloaded on quaint! The Batsford Arboretum and adjacent falconry center were quite interesting. My husband didn't want to leave.

Have a lovely time.

myst Jul 21st, 2003 09:31 PM

You could visit Salisbury, Avesbury, Glastonbury, Wells, and Bath. I circled this area on a very nice road trip and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I stayed in B&B's every night and found it very to have the tourist information booth in whereever I was in the morning make me a reservation for where I planned to be by the evening. The people in the TI booths were always extremely friendly and helpful and gave me lots of insider tips --such as Scrumpy Cider!

ron Jul 22nd, 2003 08:25 AM

I would think you might be sated with <quaint> villages with three days in the Cotswolds, but if you want more, you could try Herefordshire north of Hereford - Pembridge, Eardisland, Eardisley, et al - the so called black and white villages. Combine that with Hereford itself, the Welsh borders (Hay-on-Wye to Abergavenny) and the Wye Valley south of Ross to Monmouth would make a nice three days. Try Sink Green Farm near Hereford as a base to stay.

hadley Jul 22nd, 2003 08:34 AM

We did a similar trip a number of years ago. Bath is really lovely, and very interesting. Also - a day or two in Oxford with a visit to Blenheim Palace is fun and not too far afield of where you're headed. Definitely stay in B&B's - we stumbled into a few great onesin the Cotswolds as I recall.

kaudrey Jul 22nd, 2003 10:01 AM

We went to Salisbury and Bath. Salisbury is a wonderful little town with a cathedral that has the tallest spire in England. We stayed at the Byways House - search for it on www.smoothhound.co.uk. It was a great place. Salisbury is 10 miles from Stonehenge so you can see the rocks on the way to town (or on the way out as you head to Bath).

In Bath, we stayed at the Brompton House, a B&B I'd recommend. It's about a 7 minute flat walk to the Roman Baths and Bath Abbey (whereas a lot of other B&Bs are up hills). www.bromptonhouse.com, I think, but you can also find it on www.smoothhound.co.uk.

Have fun!
Karen

joanw Aug 14th, 2003 12:03 PM

Thanks for all your help. Any more ideas? Joanw

vstanton Aug 14th, 2003 12:22 PM

We have been vacationing in the UK for the past 10 yrs and usually fly into London, take the train to Bath, stay over and rent a car at the RR station and drive to the Cotswalds (abt 70 mi) to Stanton. It is a wonderful drive and there are many many quaint villages. We usuall rent a self catering cottage and go out from there. The villages are fairly close and you can see a lot in a day, but you will always want to do and see more. We also stayed at the Brompton House in Bath and would recommend it. If you are doing B&B's we stayed at the Manor in Morton on Marsh and in Stow on Wold we stayed in one right on the main road, can't remember the name. Broadway is nice, touristy, but nice. Bourton on Water. A real small and very quaint village is Big Tew all the homes/stone cottages have thatched roofs. Upper and Lower Slaughter are well worth visiting. Cheltnham is a large city but very nice. You won't have any problem filling in your three days and may wish you had more time. Enjoy, I always do.

TuckH Aug 14th, 2003 12:34 PM

Here's my idea: Get to the Coast!

The white cliffs and seaside villages along the English Channel are special and shouldn't be missed. You have two choices as I see it.

a) The stretch from Rye (a great town) to Seaford (including the fabulous Seven Sisters) in East Sussex.

b) The stretch from Weymouth (Thomas Hardy) to Branscombe (a beautiful village) in Dorset and Devon.

By all means take a hike along the clifftops at either a) Seven Sisters, near East Dean, or b) South Devon Coast Path near Beer and Seaton or Lyme Regis.

Distances in England are relatively short, so you'll have no problem getting to the Cotswolds from either a) or b) for your last three days.

andy Aug 14th, 2003 03:37 PM

I did a trip like this once and did London, then headed to DEVON and then back up to Cotswolds--

Yummy- that DEVON clotted cream- and scones ...NO one does it better!!

janis Aug 14th, 2003 03:45 PM

The area around Bath/Avebury/Salisbury is really nice. But not really that much different than parts of the Cotswolds. If it is a contrast you are looking for, I'd probably head for the Dorset or South Devon coast for a couple of days - then to Bath for one night before heading up to the Cotswolds.

(BTW the village vstanon mentions is Great Tew - not Big Tew)