Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 Days in Zurich to see Best sites (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-days-in-zurich-to-see-best-sites-895524/)

Serega Jun 19th, 2011 07:15 AM

3 Days in Zurich to see Best sites

Hi. I'm going to be in Brugg Switzerland near Zurich renting room in Old Roman Castel called Brugg Hostel for 3 nights and 3 full days...
My plane arrives at 8 AM in Zurich...I'm dumping my bags and going back to sight see in the city...For the next day I plan to Visit Mount Tilt and Jungfraujoch by train and back to Brugg...(not sure what the best way to do this...any suggestions)
So 1 full day left to do whatever (Thinking to rent a bike at main train station and strall around the Zurich Region... for the full day biking not in the city but around the coutnryside.
(any destination point suggestions)
When I finally leave to Italy (VENICE) I plan to take train rout through CHUR, TIRANO, St MARTIZ, to MILAN and eventually to Venice. I heard it is most Seinic route...though I am afraid to arrive too late in Venice...its 14 hrs this way and even if I leave at 7 am that means i'm In venice around 2200 and check in to my hostel ends at MidNight :/

I'm conserding to purchase a 4 day Swiss pass, Is it worth 300$? or train tickets arent that expensive in the end?

Thank you Serge.

Serega Jun 19th, 2011 07:24 AM

Cogwheel railway journey from Lauterbrunnen via Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch IS IT private Rail road or is it included in Swiss Pass?

Serega Jun 19th, 2011 09:28 AM

Is Bellinzona worth visiting???

artsbabe Jun 19th, 2011 09:53 AM

Really long day to get from Zurich to Jungfraujoch and back. You'll spend most of it (6 or 7 hours) on a train. I believe most of the passes cover up to Kleine Scheidegg or perhaps a little further (the Jungfraubahn pass did), then a portion of the remaining fare, which means you might have to pay 50% of the fare. There are some real experts on train travel in Switzerland on the forum, and I'm sure one will chime in with more info.

nytraveler Jun 19th, 2011 10:35 AM

You're staying in the wrong place. If you want to se the Junfraujoch, Mt Titlus, and the berner oberland - that;s where you should stay - or you'll spend many hours each day trekking back and forth on the train.

Zurich is primarily a business city - you would be much better off styaing in either Lucerne or one of the villages in the BO.

Serega Jun 19th, 2011 11:58 AM

Day 1 BRUGG site seeing and Rest,
Day 2
Planning to dedicate a full day for Jungfraujoch now looking at hours on the train. I may also consider Tourist Tours wich cost around 240$ (I hear CogWheel costs 200 to the top)
Day 3
Than The Mount Tilt which on itself appears to worth take swiss pass since it covers the cable car to the top and back.
Luzern and Zurich town scrolling
Day 4 Leaving to Venice through Chur, Tirano, and Milan

Thanks for your answers but I already have accomodations in Zurich...and thats where my Plane arrives to

Bern, Belliziona, etc. will have to do some other trip there.

Serega Jun 19th, 2011 12:00 PM

also considering on DAY 4 to go through Bellinzona to Venice to see the Castles overthere! + Shorter trip

tipsygus Jun 19th, 2011 12:42 PM

without wishing to be rude, you will see the inside of a train more than the countryside and attractions. To get from Zurich to Interlaken is nearly three hours, from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch another two hours plus. That's five hours one way. I think it is Mount Rigi that is included in the Swiss Pass cost this is more possible since it is close to Lucerne.

scatcat Jun 19th, 2011 01:15 PM

A Swiss pass is valid only up to Wengen. I just returned from Switzerland last night. I did not go to Jungfraujoch on this trip, but last September it cost 102 CHF per person with the 25% discount with my Swiss pass. The cost from Wengen just up to Kleine Scheidegg was 31 CHF RT per person.

Serega Jun 19th, 2011 07:53 PM

tipsygus, you're not being rude...I'm there to see Switzerland afterall not trains!
I'm sticking to the plan but considering to take the WHOLE 14 hr day trip to Jungfraujoch out of my schedule...maybe some other time! Route> Chur, Tirano,> Milan should be scienic enough, and with a Swiss pass I can get off the train when I see something I like! (Any suggestions here?)

P_Peppington Jun 21st, 2011 10:20 AM

I can't understand why you are staying outside of Zurich. There isn't that much to see in Zurich, for a tourist that is.

Zurich is a very pleasant city, but it is full of VERY expensive shops and cafes. Walk down the Bahnhofstrasse and oogle Prada, Cartier, and Ferragamo. Sit with the Jet Set at the Terrasse of the Baur au Lac. Rub elbows with the ladies-who-shop at Sprungli.

I would much rather stay in the BO and see the most beautiful place in the entire world.

You are making a huge mistake.

P_P

PalenQ Jun 21st, 2011 10:55 AM

For Train fares go to www.sbb.ch - Swiss Railways site for fares in Swiss francs - whether or not the pass is a good deal of course depends on how many train trips you take and with your biking plans you seem not to be taking many train or boat trips so regular fares may well be best - even better than Half-Fare card which costs about $120 to get - but the 4-day straight pass is a great deal if you were taking the train say to the Berner Oberland and ditching Zurich, which I would recommend if you want to see the essence of the Alpine Swiss Wonderland etched in your mind's eye perhaps - a Valhalla place with so many great and varied things to do and a place where a Swiss Pass can be so so valuable - Zurich is a really nice city but it is a large city - most folks with just a few days in Switzerland would rather head to the hills - I would do that and then head via what I consider Europe's most scenic rail route - the Bernina Pass routing from St Moritz to Tirano, Italy. anyway for loads of great info on Swiss trains, passes, etc check out these fantastic IMO sites - www.swisstravelsystem.com (link there to Bernina Pass rail line on the Rhaetische Bahn, railway which operates that line, link; and www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. Swiss Passes currently seem to be significantly cheaper if bought in North America as a recent check showed over buying them in Switzerland but check both prices as this can change.

PalenQ Jun 21st, 2011 11:44 AM

Cogwheel railway journey from Lauterbrunnen via Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch IS IT private Rail road or is it included in Swiss Pass>

A Swiss Pass covers 100% of the train fare from Interlaken to Wengen or Grindelwald but from those stations via Kleine Scvheidegg it then only gives a 25% discount so if going to Jungfraujoch station you would still have to pay a lot of money even with a Swiss Pass.

Serega Jun 21st, 2011 12:12 PM

Your guys input is most valueble...

I've decided to see Luzern, Mount Pilatus, Tiltis, and Rhine Falls...also scroll through Zurich and maybe rent a bike at the rail station for couple of hours...if time permits
On the way to Italy I will take the Bernina Express, but since it'll take to long to go to Venice...I will have to stay to the train schedule...From Tirano trains leave every 2 hrs to Milan and I have 20 minutes to catch that train...Considering to booking in advance since I guess Swiss pass will not work no more...Check out Milan Dome and walk around for couple of hours and off to Venice :)

Train 1953
6:00AM July 9 Brugg AG, 7:52AM Chur
Bernina Express Train 951
8:32AM Chur 12:38PM Tirano FR
Train 2569
1:10PM Tirano FR 3:40PM Milan

Does anyone know how long I need time to see Dome of Milan and Castello Forzesco using Metro access and Walking?

Last decent hr train leaves at 20:05 from milan to Venezia

PalenQ Jun 21st, 2011 12:52 PM

Well if you are planning to visit all those places then strongly consider a Swiss Pass!