Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 days in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-days-in-rome-251450/)

VV Aug 20th, 2002 12:57 PM

3 days in Rome

Hi!<BR> I wil be going to Rome this weekend!for 3 days...<BR>Can anyone suggest things to do?where to start?<BR>will it be possible for me to a day trip to Alamfi coast?<BR>I have seen the 3 day itinirary from fodors.com,but i beleive i can cover a little more than what they have given!<BR>any suggestions are welcome<BR>Thanks<BR>VV

Wendy Aug 20th, 2002 01:13 PM

When I was in Rome it was hot which sapped a lot of energy from me and my friend was on crutches, but here is what we did.<BR><BR>Day 1 -(late in the afternoon start)- Coliseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain.<BR>Day 2 - St. Peters, Spanish Steps, shopping.<BR>Day 3 - Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore, Parthenon.

Vita Aug 20th, 2002 01:23 PM

W, I generally agree with Wendy's schedule. Just one thing, this coming Sunday is the last Sunday in the month so I think the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel are free. The down side is that it might be crowded on that day. If you want to do Sistine Chapel, do it on the same day as St. Peter's.

vv Aug 20th, 2002 01:23 PM

thanks Wendy!<BR>when were you in Rome?

Peggi Aug 20th, 2002 01:47 PM

Don't miss the Pantheon!!!

Kristin Aug 20th, 2002 02:21 PM

I don't think you can day-trip to the Amalfi Coast. Unless you want to spend 7-8 hours just riding to get there and back. If it can even be done that quickly. JMO

Marla Aug 20th, 2002 02:37 PM

I read Wendy's post and I immediately felt exhausanted because in May I did everything she listed in 9 hours in a marathon sightseeing event (with tour guide and a private driver). Of course, I had already been there before for a week a few years back. But thanks for bringing back the memories :-)<BR><BR>Actually, you may want to skip the Parthenon - that's in Athens ;-) The Pantheon however, is a sight to behold.<BR><BR>Personally I prefer the Coliseum and Forum early in the morning due to the heat. Also, I prefer the Trevi Fountain after sunset because there are less crowds.<BR><BR>Piazza Navona is a great place to eat lunch or dinner. I'd do Wendy's itinerary but just moving things around a bit and change it slightly:<BR><BR>Day 1 - Spanish Steps, Shopping. Eat dinner at Piazza Navona and work off the calories with a nice walk to the Trevi Fountain. Buy gelato there. You'll have a bit of jet lag so go easy that day.<BR><BR>Day 2: Coliseum, Forum, Capitoline (bad spelling) Hills, Pantheon. Campo di Fiore if you still have time/energy left.<BR><BR>Day 3: St. Peters, Villa Borghese, shopping.<BR><BR>Don't go to the Amalfi coast if you only have 3 days. 3 days isn't even enough to see everything in Rome. Save it for another time - you'll need ever minute you can for Rome.<BR><BR>

vv Aug 20th, 2002 05:02 PM

thanks Wendy!<BR>when were you in Rome?

Myer Aug 20th, 2002 05:48 PM

We were in Rome in early May for 3 1/2 days.<BR><BR>2 Days then 5 in Sorrento area and then 1 1/2 before moving on.<BR><BR>Walked the whole city each day.<BR><BR>See report 'Just Returned - Rome, Sorrento, London'.<BR><BR>See photos posted at www.travelwalks.com (non commercial)<BR><BR>Don't go to Amalfi coast for a day trip. You'll ruin both ends.<BR><BR>

delza Aug 21st, 2002 10:42 AM

Was able to do a 3-day stay in Rome in 2000;did Vatican, Colosseum, Forum, Spanish steps, in one day, next day did shopping and Trevi and Pantheon,rest of Rome attractions; we reserved the last day for a day trip through Golden Tours to Naples and Pompeii (guided and included lunch), tour also stopped at a cameo factory; it was mind boggling how we did it but we did it all in 3 days and we were tired but loved it.

delza Aug 21st, 2002 10:57 AM

Sorry, my apologies- it was Greenline in Rome (Golden Tours was one we used in London for a day trip).

jen Aug 21st, 2002 11:01 AM

Don't miss the 'Museum of Roman Civilization' south of the city (bus or metro) if you want to get an idea of what the city looked like 2000 years ago. There is a huge model of the ancient city in a room where you look down on it from loggias; whether you visit the Forum before or after, it makes no difference - you will see the city with completely new eyes and emotions!

PamR Aug 21st, 2002 12:00 PM

All the above advice is good. I've been in Rome in Spring and Fall, and the heat can drag you down. My advice would be to try to do the itinerary given you, but take it slow and just enjoy. I loved walking around the streets near the Forum, turning a corner and seeing an amazing Roman ruin. I loved getting lost and having kind Italians try to help me find my way. I loved walking down tiny streets at siesta time and hearing opera and smelling cooking coming out of the apartments. And I loved sitting in Piazza Navona, sipping high-priced coffee, and watching the street life go on. The Amalfi is wonderful, but you need time to see it. One more suggestion is a short train trip to Ostia Antica; the ruins of an old Roman city, looking very much like Pompeii, but less well known. And nearby is Ostia Lido, a beach you can walk along with black sand -- great if it's a hot day. Have a great time!

cindy Aug 21st, 2002 12:55 PM

We also did 3 days in Rome this summer.<BR>First day--(after flying all night)<BR>Castel Sant'Angelo tour in morning (great views of Rome from top), lunch at pizzeria, then Scavi Tour at St. Peter's, followed by tour of the basilica itself. Back to hotel for nap, and then dinner at Campo Fiori.<BR>Day Two--Pantheon, Jesu Church, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain.<BR>Day Three--Forum, Colosseum, lots of walking around of course, fantastic dinner at the Old Bear restaurant a few blocks from Piazza Navona, followed by a great street entertainer's show in the piazza and cappuccino and that chocolate tartuffo dessert at Cafe Scalini (mmmm!). Of course, we'll go back to see all the places we missed-our kids weren't interested in museums. This was our second time and still haven't been to the Borghese!

Laura Aug 21st, 2002 01:06 PM

W, we were in Rome this past April for 4 days and managed a day trip to see Sorrento, Positano & Ravello (about 1 hr for each), just to try to at least get a feel for each. It was a bit expensive but the 2 of us split it and it was definitely a highlight of our trip! Here's what we did:<BR><BR>Took the 8:30am Eurostar train Rome to Naples, (arrived about 10:30) had a driver pick us up and drive us 1st to Sorrento (arrived about 11:30), walked around for about an hr (most touristy of all spots), drove us to Positano. Driver took us to LeSirenuse, where we had a glass of champagne and took in the view, then to a cool spot for lunch, then walked around town, did some shopping, then to Ravello's Palazzo Sasso (sp?) hotel (felt like we were sitting on top of the world, with the view!), then town of Ravello for a little over an hr. He got us back to our train in Naples by 7:30, I think it was, and we caught the next train back to Rome.<BR><BR>Driver cost $300 for 10-hr day, driving around in a new Mercedes. It was very pleasant and comfortable, and we never had to worry about driving, getting lost, in our limited time down there. <BR><BR>Because of that experience, I now know where I want to stay on our next trip next May: Positano! <BR><BR>Just wanted to share what we did with <BR>our time there. Enjoy *your trip! <BR><BR><BR>

Rocky Aug 21st, 2002 01:56 PM

St. Peter's and Borghese Gallery are must see. If you go to the Colosseum go early. Hot! There is an English speaking tour at 9:30. Piazza Navonna and Campo Fiori at night bustling with activity if you have any energy left. Trevi Fountain beautiful night or day although I preferred night. Gelateria della Palma behind Pantheon great selection of Gelato-indoors and air conditioned. I just spent 5 days in Rome and still not enough time. Day trip outside Rome will take away time from enjoying all that Rome has to offer. Having said that we did take an afternoon tour to Tivoli Gardens-beautiful, Rome is overwhelming-noisy, crowded, yet fascinating. Enjoy.

Wendy Aug 22nd, 2002 01:11 PM

W, I was in Rome 3 years ago- end of May. Also I just realised that we went to the Sistine Chapel the morning of day 3. We had tried to do it right after St. Peters but didn't have enough time.<BR><BR>Bad spelling on the Parthenon vs. Panthenon! sorry!<BR><BR>Marla- You are crazy to try to do all that in 9 hours! Oh my!!!!<BR><BR>Keep in mind if you want to experience the market at Campo di Fiore (field of flowers) you need to go in the morning as the vendors break down shortly after noon.