Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 days in Paris, what do you think of itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi will have 3 full days in Paris, mid January. This is what I am thinking of - wondering whether to kind of see the city in sections, thus:
Day 1, Louvre (3-4 hrs only), notre dame cathedral and tower perhaps time for a walk around gardens/river.
Day 2, Montmarte area, Sacre Coeur, Galleries Lafeyette, and ????
Day 3, Walk along the Champs Elysee, visit Arc de Triomphe, walk by river, see Lady Di's Memorial (does anyone know exactly where this is located???), then Eiffel tower in late afternoon/evening, watch light display, etc

It is our first trip to Paris. Any other recommendations you think we could squeeze in? We are not interested in going to any shows, but would consider say a night tour to see the 'lights of Paris'
What do you all think?
Thanks
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Sounds feasible. Gardens don't look like much, of course, and you may need to rearrange the program if clouds and rain curtail the visibility from Sacré Coeur. Like - if your first day looks brilliant, go there first.

Lady Di's memorial is unofficial - people simply turned the golden metallic "flame" statue at the north end of the Pont de l'Alma into her memorial (she died in the tunnel underneath that bridge, of course), by adding flowers and placards and such, and the authorities turned a blind eye. That may have changed, a few months ago I saw nothing like that, maybe they clean it up now.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Hi amandab,
I think your itinerary looks quite good for a first-time visit. I just went along with my husband on a business trip to Paris in late September - it was his first visit and my fourth; in our 2 afternoons, 1 full day, and 1 half-day there, we covered most of what is on your list. I also spent time shopping in St. Germain and on Ile-St-Louis - both great places to stroll. If you like stained glass, St-Chapelle is also incredible and is close to Notre-Dame.

If the weather is good you should try to do a Bateau Mouche trip - it is only 8 Euro per person and takes just over an hour. It's a great way to see a lot of the major sites and the views from the river are lovely. We did it on a cool cloudy/drizzly evening; it would be spectacular on a sunny day. The boats have an open roof and fully enclosed areas, so you are fine no matter what the weather - although if it is bitterly cold when you are there in January, you may decide you don't want to be on the water.

Have fun!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks both of you for your comments. I'm pleased to know that my plans are doable. Yes, will also consider a boat trip. What about the latin quarter - I realised I have left this area off my list, is there anything in this area I should try and squeeze in as well?
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:26 AM

If your Notre Dame day is sunny, you MUST see St. Chapelle. It is awesome all the time but breathtaking when the sun is out. The Louvre is great, but I would hit the highlights and also head to the Orsay and L'Orangerie. Buy a museum pass and all these places are included and no lines. Latin Quarter is fun to walk around and eat lots of ethnic foods. Of course, that depends on how cold it is the day you are there.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, will definitely add St Chapelle to list, especially as it's just next door to the Notre Dame. I adore stained glass, so am sure it will be wonderful.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Latin Quarter/St. German des Pres is an area that I love walking around in. Lots of little shops, cafes, etc., etc. The area between Blvd. St. Germain and the Seine from Rue Bonaparte to perhaps Rue Dauphine or rue de Seine is a fun stroll (although you may not be strolling in January!) There's a Laduree tea salon/patisserieon the corner of Rue Bonaparte and Rue Jacob where a most decadent "chocolat chaud" will warm you up. Or if you're on the Right Bank, Angelina's would be a most decadent substitute!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I loved Musee D'Orsay...I spent hours in there...I never did get to see "Whistler's Mother" which I believe is in there.It's just that there is so many paintings,etc.,in there that after me spending absolutely hours on end,I still had not seen it all...I particularly loved the Fantin Latour paintings of people,because they were so stunning, and I had known him for his paintings of roses....
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I second the recommendation to visit L'Orangerie. I visited before it was renovated & it was beautiful then. I believe the Monet water lillies room is there. I'd also schedule time for food, at least one leisurely multi-course meal. The quality and attention to food is really quite astonishing, even at small restaurants. One of our best meals was actually at the cafeteria at the Louvre of all places.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM

We did a Paris Walks guided walk of Montmatre - ending outside Sacre Coere - thoroughly recommend it. Not expensive and a great way to see a lovely neighbourhood.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
ira

Hi A,

You can combine your Champs/Louvre outing by starting at the Arc de Triomphe and walking downhill past Pl Concorde and the Tuileries to the Louvre.

If you then cross the Pont des Arts and turn right the foot of Rue Bonaparte and the 6th arrond is on your left.

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM
ira

PS,

The Batobus has a stop opposite the rue Bonaparte.

See www.batobus.com

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Ira, she's going in January. Batobus doesn't run then, does it?

Amanda:
Your plan is very doable and probably leaves a little time for just wandering. We were there this past January. It was very cold---all the fountains were frozen solid. Perhaps you'll be luckier, but Paris was wonderful even in the cold.

Though we usually walk 10-15 miles a day in Paris, long walks weren't practical in that weather. So I'd recommend taking out the "walk along Champs Elysee"...it's quite a long ways, not one of my favorites anyway. Perhaps insert the Musee D'Orsay instead of the walk. Then walk over to Place de la Concorde...catch a bus right at the beginning of the Champs and ride to the Arc. (If you're headed to the Eiffel Tower from the Arc, walk over to the Kleber metro and take it to the Trocadero stop.)

We happened upon the Di memorial when I was there in September. Flowers/photos had been left, otherwise we wouldn't have noticed it. It's very near the Eiffel Tower so do those in tandem. If you're not going up the Tower, you can get great views from the Trocadero.

We did the boat tour on a January night, some up top but mostly below. It's worth it to see the sights from the river at night.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Your plans look good to me.

We loved the Galeries Lafeyette when we went in June. We spent about 2 hours there with our 10 year old son.

We went in the morning and immediately went to the roof to see the Eiffel Tower. Great views and well worth the trip. I'm not a shopper, but the place was fabulous.

It has 14 restaurants. We enjoyed mochas and chocolate croissants at one of the restaurants. It was the most relaxing morning that we had in Paris.

Here is a link called Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau that may help you plan your trip better. They have maps, hotel and all kinds of useful information.

Good luck and enjoy Paris.

Diane

http://en.parisinfo.com/

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 03:55 PM

If you're there during January &quot;soldes&quot; (sales), Galleries Lafayette will be anything <i>but</i> peaceful! Sales usually start around the 10th and run a couple of weeks.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:11 PM

The Gardens will not be anything fantastic in January. I was there the past Jan and take my advice. If its sunny on your first day go to the eiffle tower then. Thankfully my friend talked me into it as it was cloudy/slightly sunny on the other four days we were there. The Louvre is good to save for a rainy day.

Also many other people, myself included enjoyed visiting Mussee D'Orsay as much as the Louvre, it has people like Monet and Van Gough and all the other great impressionists which the louvre lacks.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Amanda. in your second day, when you will go to Lafayette, you are near Opera. I would enter to visit it (it will take one hour). It is a very nice decorated builing.
Also, I agree with another who recommend you to visit St. Chapelle in the first day.
Louvre is very big, in my first visit (short one) in Paris, I preffered to go to Orsay. It is smaller, interesting building, all impresionist painters..
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:37 AM

In my opinion, you do NOT want to miss Musee D'Orsay. Also I also love strolling St. Germain including Rue Bonaparte which has Laduree tea room.
Have a wonderful trip
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM
cko

I just took a 3 full day in Paris for the first time last weekend.
Suprisingly, you can squeeze a lot more in there if you're up for it.
I'd add in Musee D'orsay as well if you like art.
I also squeezed in the Seine river night cruise after dinner.
I loved walking around Marais/Latin quarter.
Louvre is free on Sundays - FYI.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Hey Mates,
last yar I spent 2 days in Paris...and I stayed in one Hotel in Saint Germain de Pres which is a beautiful area. in my opinion, not to be missed (besides the Tour Eiffel...) are Notre Dame De Paris, Les Invalides (if you keen on French History it is a must), and if you got just 2 days, give this guide some attention: http://www.nozio.com/en/europe/franc...ides/Paris.htm , it think that is perfect if you want some tips.