Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 days in Paris go to Versailles or not? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-days-in-paris-go-to-versailles-or-not-890308/)

KSLS May 11th, 2011 04:48 AM

3 days in Paris go to Versailles or not?

This is our first time to Paris. We have planned 3 days out but now we are wondering if we should take out some things and go to Versailles for awhile. We are not the type to spend hours upon hours in museums so we were thinking we would have time to go there for a half of day. Do people consider this a MUST see? I know it is spectacular but it is such a big place specially if you want to walk the gardens. If we do go for a half a day does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to visit? Also what is the easiest way to get there and how long does it take. Staying close to the Louvre.

Viajero2 May 11th, 2011 05:00 AM

Definitely worth it on a good weather day; go by train.

jamikins May 11th, 2011 05:01 AM

With three days in Paris I would stay in Paris and give Versaille a miss. Its great to see, but I think 3 days is short in Paris to begin with, let alone taking a half day (it may take up more) to go to Versaille. So unless you have a passion for the history or some other pressing reason to see it I think you should stay in Paris.

uhoh_busted May 11th, 2011 05:05 AM

I agree with jamikins. You will find plenty to do over 3 days in Paris without heading out of town. Funny how time flies when you are being charmed :-)

jamikins May 11th, 2011 05:08 AM

PS I forgot the s on the end of Versailles!

grandmere May 11th, 2011 05:11 AM

It just depends upon your interests; for me, it would not be worth taking a day out of only 3 to visit Versailles. For others it would be a must see, regardless.

danon May 11th, 2011 05:33 AM

I would not.

Michel_Paris May 11th, 2011 05:51 AM

I think you could fill your time easily in Paris. Going to Versailles would take a good chunk of one day. If you arriving from overseas, the first day is a bit of a wash anyways due to jet lag, getting to hotel, getting oriented,etc..

You could console yourself by knowing that Versailles and the Louvre were the summer and winter homes of the royal family, so this trip you would see only one of their houses :)

That being said...if the goal and dream of your trip is Paris, skip. If not...no skip.

I personally have not seen all of Paris, and I have been multiple times. So I would not say that you can see Paris in 2 days and have nothing left to do :)

ira May 11th, 2011 06:32 AM

With only 3 days - "Not"

annesherrod May 11th, 2011 06:57 AM

No to Versailles even though I love it- with 3 days in Paris you will barely scratch the surface,

Have fun!

StCirq May 11th, 2011 06:59 AM

No, you have allotted too little time to Paris to begin with and will be overwhelmed with possibilities for things to do in the city itself, whether or not you like museums.

FrankS May 11th, 2011 07:01 AM

Its worth the time, but not a 'must do' with only 3 days. If you decide to go, its easy. Take the metro to St Lazare station then catch a train going to Versailles. The palace is within a reasonable walking distance from the train station when you get there

LSky May 11th, 2011 07:46 AM

If it's something you've always wanted to see, do it.

I wouldn't bother with only 3 days. You'll be so busy that you could easily forget about Versailles

ellen75005 May 12th, 2011 02:03 PM

I think you see the theme in these responses. I concur; with only three days, you'll wish you had more in Paris. You'll be busy every minute even without museums. Save Versailles for another trip when you have more time.

RobertaL May 12th, 2011 02:07 PM

I've been to Paris several times, always for 3 or 4 nights at a time. I didn't decide to see Versailles until my 4th trip. So much for you to experience in Paris...

-Roberta

mamcalice May 12th, 2011 04:55 PM

We went to Versailles on our second of 9 trips and haven't returned. I agree with those above who think you have alloted too little time to Paris so should spend the entire 3 days there.

ChicagoDallasGirl May 12th, 2011 05:47 PM

If you aren't the type to linger in museums and such, plus it doesn't seem like a 'must' for you, I would skip it. We were in Paris for four days and we def wanted to visit Versailles, so we made the trip. We were practically numbers 9 & 10 in line that morning and spent the entire day there. Have a great trip!

KSLS May 12th, 2011 06:35 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think we will skip it and I will just have to go back again!! :-)

FrankS May 19th, 2011 03:56 AM

USNews ranked Versailles in their top 10 World's Prettiest Places
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-39456339

Gretchen May 19th, 2011 04:02 AM

I wouldn't advise going if you had a WEEK in Paris.