Another train information question.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the help I have got from this message board.
But here is another question.
>
On some of the trains, I have noticed that I have to change trains in certain towns. When I look at the schedule, there are time that it does not have a platform number next to where I change trains.
Does that mean that it is the same platform number where I got off the connecting train?

Or am I looking too far in advance and platform number have not been set?
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 10:18 AM

The track numbers will be displayed on a board at the train station both for your point of origin and for your connecting station. Just the same way gate numbers are displayed at airports.

Get off the train and walk toward the front of the train and you'll see the boards - they're marked arrival and departure. Find the destination town and the time the train is leaving and read across to see the platform. The platform numbers are often not displayed until a few minutes before the train leaves.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Yes, in some small towns, there is just one platform.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM

The key word you look for is the Track number = "Gleis". A platform can have more than one track.

The track number is displayed different ways depending on stations.

On large stations, you see a large comprehensive digital displays at several locations, then may be a small version showing next few immediate departures, then track specific display showing where the train currently stopped at the track is going or the details of the next train arriving there. On stations with digital display capabilities, that is what you can rely on to guide you.

If a station does not have digital displays or out of order, then what? There is a departure sheet posted at various locations. It is a yellowish sheet with "Abfart" written in large letters and "deapture" in small letters like this www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail2.htm . It shows "usual" tracks used by trains. If there is temporary track change, there may be a note posted nearby stating the changes ... in German.

However, you have to deal with last minutes track changes. This happens quite often such as when the previous train is still sitting on the track you train needs to use. In this case, they reassign some other track for your train. How do you know? On the stations with digital displays, it would show the new track info. At stations without digital display, the announcement might be made only in German. If you don't understand German and when you see others waiting for the same train start mumbling and head to another track, find someone quickly who can explain to you what the announcement was about. They try to reassign track on the same platform (minor inconvenience), but this is not always possible.