3 Days in Nice Arriving at 1pm on Thursday and flying to Paris Sunday 1pm

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help for next week...I Rented a car b/c I love driving everywhere I go. First I want to arrive in Nice, walk around, explore and go to dinner. This is our 1st time in 2 years with no kids so I would love to take my wife to a nice dinner that night. Then I would like to set out to explore the surrounding areas in our convertible rental. Would love suggestions for Thursday dinner and both Friday and Saturday day trips.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM

Hi JKen -

I'm not sure how far Nice is from Giverny, but Monet's garden and home are lovely. The palace at Versailles is also worth a visit too. Hope you have a "tres bon" time with Mrs. J.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:16 AM

The palace at Versailles is indeed worth a visit, but it's a solid eight-hour plus drive from Nice, not really day trip material in my opinion.

A decent day (or half-day more realistically) trip would be to St. Paul de Vence, with dinner in La Colombe D'Or once all the other day trippers have cleared out.

It's a pretty town, but much more enjoyable after dark once the streets are less crowded.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM

Long reply

I second Saint Paul de Vence it is a quaint little town with lots of charm. First walk around and see the little shops then find an outside restaurant/cafe. I did this last month and had an amazing lunch with a really beautiful setting hidden in the center of the shops under a huge tree.
sample menu: Fig wine, Cream of cucumber soup with a dollop of goat cheese and a baby carrot on top, Creme brulee fois gras with a slice of fresh fig on mesclun salad,roasted rabit and vegetables, strawberry rhubarb coulis with an almond base.
All this for 25E. And it was Delicious.

When you arrive in Paris on sunday see if you can catch the fountain in Versailles(only flows on sundays)The museum is beautiful but Don't miss the gardens they go on forever. You can rent a bike, a row boat, or just relax in a outside cafe and take it all in.

Another day trip from Paris: Giverny is a MUST if you love Monet. I know you love to drive but to get the full experience it is worth the 45 minute train to Vernon where you get off and rent a bike for the last little jaunt to Giverny. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Laurel
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM

I could suggest Jay_G's scenario with Eze-Village (Eagle's Nest). Same about the day trippers gone in the evening. I have never stayed for dinner there but in 2006 had €20 a glass of rosé champagne on their terrace, expensive but it was fine (I didn't pay !) and a gorgeous setting, sunset hour with a view of Cap Ferrat.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ceoct06123.jpg

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...at__France.jpg

But this is even closer from Nice (about 10 minutes drive) so you could go farther in the morning (Monaco, Menton ...) and do it on the way back to Nice.

Yes, Giverny and Versailles are (half) day trips from Paris where OP is going after Nice.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:05 AM

Since you have a car, I will point out to you that Italy is less than an hour away from Nice, and if you like Italian food as much as I do, it can be wonderful to stop in and eat.

Bordighera is the town most often recommended for a scenic seaside destination. Monet came here to paint, and it was the original site of what is now the Cannes film festival (it was moved to Cannes after Fascists took over Italy). Some recommended restaurants are here:

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/i...c:1004668.html

Personally, I think the most exciting thing you can do with a car in that area is head for the dramatic hilltown of Apricale, only a bit above San Remo. The Michelin website can help you with maps and drive times. I can help with a picture:

http://apricale.info/apricale/holida...ut_in_the_area

It is quite steep to walk up in the center town for a meal, but wonderful if you are up for it. However, if you are not up for it, good food and a great view of the town can be had from La Favorita restaurant on the opposite hill, with plenty of parking:

http://www.lafavoritaapricale.com/eng/dove_siamo.asp

If you are interested in wine, Liguria's finest red wine, Rossese, comes from a lovely hill town closer to the coast between San Remo and Bordighera called Dolceacqua, with a famous stone Roman bridge and atmospheric medieval byways.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12959

It is also famous for its olives and olive oil (as is the less scenic nearby town of Taggia) and if you go to Dolceacqua for lunch and just ask around. The Italian Touring Club recommends Il Gastone and Trattoria Re.

Lastly, if you like lemons and ice cream, the town of Menton on the border (French side) is famed for its lemons, and sorbetti.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM

By the way, Giverny is VERY FAR from Nice. It can be done as a day trip from Paris. But unless you have been to Paris many times, or are a garden fanatic, I would not put Giverny ahead of other touristing.

Monet fanatics in Nice can more easily see what inspired him from Cap d'Antibes to Bordhighera, and garden fanatics in Nice can visit the Villa Hanbury across the border in Italy:

http://www.sanremoguide.it/en/dettag..._livello_02=57
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM

Forgot to write, that was at Hotel Chèvre d'Or in Eze.