Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 days in Madrid with my son-any ideas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-days-in-madrid-with-my-son-any-ideas-817490/)

dutyfree Dec 12th, 2009 11:32 AM

3 days in Madrid with my son-any ideas?

Okay Fodorites! My schedule for next month is due tomorrow morning and I suddenly saw a 72 hour layover in Madrid (which we NEVER have as flight attendants). I am thinking of taking my 27 year old son with me as he has never been to Madrid. Before I invest 5 days there -would you have any quick suggestions? Daytrips that would be near? I tried to find something on Fodors but it isn't the info I want rather about rentals,flamenco shows,etc.
Thanks for your help-leaving for Egypt in 48 hours for the Christmas holidays and I am STRESSED!!!

Egbert Dec 12th, 2009 11:59 AM

Toledo or Segovia as daytrips. The Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen museums. Churros at the famous churro place (can't remember). Walking around and stopping for snacks and drinks often. And don't forget Maribelsguides.com most importantly.

germanblonde Dec 12th, 2009 12:25 PM

Day trips - Toledo. Easy to get to by train.

In Madrid - The Prado, the Royal Palace, Gran Via, Plaza Espana, walking tour of Old Madrid. Also, leave some time to enjoy the tapas bars.

dutyfree, I hope you enjoy your trip to Egypt and Jordan I know that you have been throught alot recently, and I hope you can relax and enjoy your Christmas holiday.

bachslunch Dec 12th, 2009 05:38 PM

Egbert, am guessing you mean the Chocolateria San Gines. Loved their churros and hot chocolate (an amazingly thick drink, almost like pudding). It's between Calle Mayor and Calle del Arenal just west of Puerta del Sol.

Aduchamp1 Dec 12th, 2009 06:41 PM

The advice above is sound. Maribel and Revulgo have offered great restaurant, hotel, and general advice.

Robert2533 Dec 12th, 2009 08:55 PM

Dump the son in law(!) and enjoy yourself.

lincasanova Dec 13th, 2009 01:47 AM

Aranjuez and its famous royal boat museum and small palace, summer residence of the previous kings.

buses and commuter trains aplenty

http://www.aranjuez.ws/transportes/#tren

Las Casa de Sorolla museum is nice

Teatro Canals may have an interesting show of some sort
Enjoy!

Cowboy1968 Dec 13th, 2009 02:23 AM

Probably a bit more on the quirky side, but if your son got any interest for trains etc:

www.museodelferrocarril.org/

http://www.esmadrid.com/anden0/
or
http://europeforvisitors.com/madrid/...e-chamberi.htm

or quirky shopping:

the Rastro flea market (sundays, near metro La Latina)
C./ Fuencarral and Hortaleza, as well as most of Chueca what is close to the metro station

upscale shopping:

C./ Serrano (the lower end near Pta de Alcalá), but currently lots of construction work going on, so it's not all pleasant to stroll

day trips (in addition to what has been mentioned already):

El Pardo royal palace (no, not the Prado), easy to reach on the outskirts of Madrid by bus from metro/ intercambiador Moncloa

If weather permits (you will be going in January, won't you):
Go skiing at Valdesqui, by suburban train (cercanias) from Madrid to Coto on line C9 (never done this, so only 2nd hand info from web)

portuense Dec 13th, 2009 05:17 AM

check out the fixtures for real madrid and atletico via marca.com or as.com (liga bbva, calendario) and get tickets for whichever (if either) has a home game during your stay.

aranjuez is lovely and worth the trip (40 mins by cercania train from atocha station). loads to see there, and it's quite magical (if probably a little nippy) in winter.

stepsbeyond Dec 13th, 2009 05:21 AM

I suggest you ask the 27-year-old. Madrid is full of treasures (I'd scream if somebody took me to a footbul game or flamenco show).

dutyfree Dec 13th, 2009 10:59 AM

Robert-he is my son. Stepsbeyond-he would LOVE to go to a football game there as he is a major soccer fan but the tickets are really expensive (around $100).
Thanks everyone-I ended up bidding it and hope that I can hold it . Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed-busy packing for tomorrow's trip.

Infotrack Dec 13th, 2009 01:15 PM

Absolutely Toledo, as others have said. I think you should be able to do Salamanaca as a day trip too. Escorial, just north of Madrid (I think) would also be cool.

danon Dec 13th, 2009 05:36 PM

Salamanca is two and a half hours by train each way;
Segovia might be a better day trip - only half hour.

davidx Dec 14th, 2009 06:00 AM

A shorter day trip, if you like mountain scenery, is on the Renfe Cercanias routes to Cercedilla and then to Los Cotos. The second train is mostly single track and is narrow gauge and the trip is worth while in itself
However the Natural Park of Penalara is only minutes from the station at Los Cotos and you can get helpful advice on all standards of walk from the Casa del Parque.

In the city itself I strongly suggest the Museo Sorolla and see what exhibitions are on at the caixaForum.

dutyfree Jan 5th, 2010 02:47 PM

Okay,we are leaving this Saturday for Madrid and our 72 hours there.I am planning on the usual in Madrid and going to Toledo.I am still working on a few other things. Does anyone have any places to get discounted tickets for their soccer matches? Thanks!

Egbert Jan 6th, 2010 07:39 AM

With all of those things to do it should take about 3 weeks. A chance to see Real Madrid would be unforgettable.

dutyfree Jan 6th, 2010 08:58 AM

I agree but if you live and breathe international soccer,it was worth a try for him. He cannot justify the prices of the tickets so we won't be trying to get him one. Thanks!

Any suggestions on wine tours?

scrb Jan 6th, 2010 09:27 AM

Do they have tours of the Bernabeu?

I'm going the first week of Feb. and I'm taking a couple of nights in Salamanca.

Check out also the Valley of the Fallen. Forgot the Spanish name but it's just as cool. Franco is buried there. It's near the Escorial.

I've not been to Toledo myself. Not sure I could fit it in since Salamanca will take up 2 of the 5 days.

mes2525 Jan 6th, 2010 09:59 AM

Just got back from a four night trip to Madrid over Christmas with a day trip to Segovia. I second the recommendation of San Gines for chocolate. I also recommend a visit Mercado St. Miguel (Plaza St. Miguel) for assorted drinks and snacks, the Tours of Spain Tapas Tour (50 euro) for excellent wine and food pairings, and the tourist office walking tour of Madrid (4 euro). As far as museums, I went to the Prado, Decorative Arts and Museum of the Americas. El Corte Ingles is always fun to visit and I found a shop selling all kinds of espadrilles so I stocked up on various colors (they must have had 25 choices).

Old Madrid is fairly compact but the metro system is very extensive - I used the metro to get back and forth to the airport - all the way to terminal 4 now, and saw no one even attempting to snatch a purse. I was really impressed with the metro station at Chamartin. The elevator and escalator system is visually stunning.

The roasted suckling pig in Segovia at Cochillo is terrifc and so is the flan. I was impressed by the Roman aqueduct, the cathedral and the alcazar. I hope to go back and spend the night at some point.

I have done a day trip to Toledo and also spent several days in Salamanca (long day trip). You can also day go on the AVE train to Sevilla or Cordoba but with only 3 days, I probably would just stay around Madrid.

lincasanova Jan 6th, 2010 11:11 AM

The stadium has a wonderful tour that my nephew loved. I didn't take the tour but did go up to the café that overlooks the field. Quite impressive and I don't even enjoy foorball. There is a cover charge but it includes a drink.