Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 days in Luberon -- have questions! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-days-in-luberon-have-questions-1670256/)

Philip Aug 4th, 2019 12:25 PM

3 days in Luberon -- have questions!

My wife and I plus two friends will be in Luberon next May. We have been to Provence three other times. Staying Gordes. But have not spent time in Luberon part. Appreciate your thoughts/suggestions. We want to pace ourselves -- allows time for good food and bold reds.

1. First afternoon, arrive Avignon TGV and drive to Isle sur la Sorgue. Have dinner at either La Café du Village or La Balade des Saveurs. Then drive to Gordes for the evening.
2. It is Tuesday so will attend market in Gordes. Then drive to Senanque Abbey. Probably eat La Trinquette in Gordes.
3. Tour Roussillon and Bonnieux. Probably eat at L Hevre Bleve in Bonnieux.
4. Drive to Lourmarin (and perhaps stop in Aix) Probably eat La Petite Table in Lourmarin -- on the way to St. Tropez.

Thanks for comments and suggestions.
Philip

Christina Aug 4th, 2019 01:45 PM

looks pretty good to me, I don't see any problems. except maybe the last day. Aix is a city, and just getting there, getting parked somehow, etc. will eat up some time, it isn't like a drive-through village (like Bonnieux). Why even go there at all, do you have a reason? Because if you want to see anything, like their museum, cathedral, let alone Cezanne sights, it's going to eat up a lot of time. But I think you need to look at a map. Aix is not on the way from Gordes to Lourmarin, not even close.

YOu do have extra time on day 2, though. That abbaye isn't going to take up half a day and it's only a few km away from Gordes, anyway. So I guess that's your day to just relax in Gordes mostly? You could go visit Goult also that day, if you want, it's not real big either.

StuDudley Aug 4th, 2019 02:08 PM

Almost all the shops in l'Isle sur la Sorgue will be closed on Monday (we were there once on a Monday). That's the day after their huge Sunday market - and they need a rest.

Unless you visit in early May, you may not be able to get back to Gordes for lunch - due to the huge crowds on market day. Like Christina mentioned - have lunch in Goult (that's where we stay in the Luberon). Our favorite restaurants (La Carillon and Bartavelle) are both closed on Tuesday - but there are others. Get a walking itinerary of the village from the TI.

Try to fit in a visit to Menerbes & Saignon.

Stu Dudley

gooster Aug 4th, 2019 02:21 PM

You say you've been to Provence three times, but not to the Luberon. What about the southern Rhone region? I only ask because of your like of bold reds, and in the Luberon you'll enjoy the rose the most. As you head near Isle sur la Sorgue, you will be within reach of Gigondas and the like, with various Domaines for tastings. In any case, Day 2 (and even 3) you have time to hit other places, as noted, including Menerbes and Lacoste. The morning at Rousillon will likely take more time, if you do the walks. But you can hit Lacoste easily from Bonnieux. Your scenic route to Lourmarin will likely take you through Bonnieux and normally would take a road around Aix after your depart Lourmarin.

Philip Aug 5th, 2019 07:14 AM

Thanks for GREAT suggestions. We are coming to Luberon after a few days in Burgundy. Aix does make sense because of limited time. Have entered all your suggestions on Google map and find that we would stay too busy for pace and food/wine requirements.. Therefore, please see the revised DRAFT itinerary AND now tell us which destinations should be struck. FYI we arrive Day 1 at Avignon TGV about 3pm and will then rent a car before heading to La Sorgue/Gordes.

1. Drive to Gordes via Isle sur la Sorgue. Stop in La Sorgue for early dinner and then drive rest of way to Gordes.

2. Gordes (AM for market); Abbaye Senanque; Village des Bories, Roussillon, Gargas, Apt. Looking at Google maps these potential destinations are in the northern part of Luberon BUT I know way way too much for one day. PLEASE tell me which destinations don't make sense -- we love architecture and scenery.

3. Goult,, Memerbes, Lacoste, Bonnieux AGAIN way too busy -- what are the strikes?

4. Lourmarin on drive to St. Tropez

Thanks Philip

StuDudley Aug 5th, 2019 07:38 AM

What is an "early" dinner??? 7:30 is usually the earliest you can eat - except at a super touristy restaurant. Again - l'Isle sur la Sorgue will be closed up tight on a Monday afternoon. It really isn't that great of a village - especially with most of the shops closed.

IMO, Lacoste is a "drive through".

Stu Dudley

zebec Aug 5th, 2019 10:25 AM

Bonjour Philip,
As for Lourmarin eateries, there are a few more notables to choose from:
1) La Rec(reation) offers a shady front patio and good food/wine/atmosphere--locals seem to favour it. *If there on market day, check out the young guy whose booth is in front of Le Rec. Among his offerings, he sells the best lemon pie in France. Oo lala!
2) Le Bouchon offered very good food, served indoors by a great staff.
3) Cafe Gabys is the local fave for casual, mostly outdoors meals and drinks. The food was very good and the atmosphere was as close to 'local' as possible. Peter Mayle favoured this spot.
4) Helen's ('Food & Cakes' is the rest of her title if memory serves) over by the Tourism office, has a unique, artfully-presented deli cum cafe vibe. Wonderful lady Helen, originally from Reunion. Probably the best desserts in town IMHO.
Bon chance Philip!
I am done. The end.

kja Aug 5th, 2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Philip (Post 16965500)
.. Isle sur la Sorgue ... Gordes ...Village des Bories, Roussillon ... St. Tropez...

If you haven't already seen it, I'm in the middle of a trip report that covers these places. I covered my time in St. Tropez in post # 112 and my time in l'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue in tonight's post (#177). I expect to cover my experiences in Gordes, the Villages des Bories, and Roussilon in tomorrow's installment (if all goes well).
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...rance-1669406/

I hope you find some useful information there!