Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 days in London / 4 days Where? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-days-in-london-4-days-where-615265/)

gowhereuwannago May 13th, 2006 07:22 AM

3 days in London / 4 days Where?

I am planning a trip to London (either September or April - not sure yet). I have been the UK several times (family there) and the only other place I've been to in Europe is Calais. If you were going to fly from Europe, and spend 4 days in one other city, where would you go, and why? What is something in that city that is not to be missed?

janisj May 13th, 2006 07:27 AM

Well - you don;t give us any criteria. What sorts of things do you like?

I'll assume you meant fly TO a city in Europe -- or did you mean open jaw TO London and home FROM another city?

Anyway - the easy answer is Paris. And if you are staying in central London I'd take the Eurostar and not fly.

Lily May 13th, 2006 04:59 PM

Paris, Rome or Venice.

gowhereuwannago May 15th, 2006 02:27 PM

I am a travel photographer. I don't want to go to Paris, as I have another trip dedicated to the city. This trip is only partially work, and mostly for pleasure. I think I can fly a little cheaper than I can take the Eurostar (I've done lots of rail trips throughout the UK, so I don't necessarily want to take the Eurostar / TGV just for the experience of it, so I'll do what's cheapest).

Let me narrow down a bit: some options we've discussed are Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Vienna, and perhaps somewhere in Germany. I don't want to try to do too much, so I thought I would limit the remaining 4 days to one other city (besides the London leg).

There was a typo in my original post - I meant "If you were going to fly to Europe (from London) to one other city..." I will be fly round trip from London to ? and back.

Thanks for any input.

Carolina May 15th, 2006 09:50 PM

You have so many choices it depends on what you like. Look at ryanair and easyjet and see if any of their destinations with cheap flights appeal to you. Alternatively, you could take the eurostar to Paris or Brussels. I love Greece but it is a bit far for 4 days. Spain is another favourite of mine and an easy destination as many people speak English and there are lots of beautiful towns, cities and villages. Venice is another option.
Carolena

WillTravel May 15th, 2006 11:34 PM

Any of Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Vienna, Berlin or numerous other cities would work very well. Copenhagen would be the most expensive on that list, if that matters to you. Maybe take a look at a few guidebooks with lots of pictures and see which looks most visually appealing to you as a photographer. I'd suggest Berlin, because it's still a rapidly changing cities, whereas the others are in a state of stasis comparatively. (But not entirely, as Copenhagen for one has had a couple of important buildings completed in the past couple years or so.)

m_kingdom2 May 15th, 2006 11:43 PM

I'd go to somewhere in Spain, but you're not really being at all helpful. Do you want sunshine? Shops? Architecture? Down and outs?

Why don't you pick up a guide book/holiday brochure, browse, then return to discuss some more focused points?

annettetx May 16th, 2006 12:15 AM

We just returned from a trip similar to yours: we were in London for a short time and then wanted to spend three or four days in another city. We opted for Amsterdam, primarily because we would be there when the tulips were in bloom.
If you decide to travel in April, and considering you're a photographer, I'd vote for Amsterdam and the Keukenhof Gardens -- they were amazingly beautiful!
Four days would give you one day at Keukenhof and three days to see the highlights of the city.
Annette