3 days in London

Feb 4th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

3 days in London

We will be spending 3 days in London (en route to India) in the first week of June - travelling with 2 kids ages 15 & 7. Any recommendations re: accomodation, must see places, and other fun things to do, etc? Also, how far is Cotswald from London city - is a day trip do-able?
Thanks,
MK.
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:17 AM

yes. i did a day trip to the Cotswolds.
i took the Evansevans tour that includes only stops, and free time in 3-4 Cotswolds villages and loved it.
but, all the excursion companies have also a combination of Oxford-Stratford-Cotswolds day tour, which is also a good idea.
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:22 AM

i am reading your post again. is it your first trip to London ?
if so, i will skip going on a whole day trip out of town.
London has enough to offer. maybe Windsor, but the rest of the time stay in town.
Feb 4th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes this is my first trip to London. We also have an 8 hour layover in Heathrow on the return trip - would appreciate some suggestions on activities near the airport ?
Thanks.
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:31 AM

I'd recommend you think twice about taking your children on a day trip to the Cotswolds. If they're reasonably mentally active, the Ashmolean and Pitt-Rivers museum in Oxford might be stimulating. And a play at Stratford should interest them.

But a bunch of pretty villages, Blenheim Palace and the touristy bit of Stratford? Our godchildren and nephews of those ages definitely say no (and we live in the Cotswolds). Brighton's the place for a day out with those two. But the child who's tired of London itself is tired of life.

On your layover coming back, depending what 8 hours sctually means, the easiest thing is probably to take the tube to South Kensington (49 mins from T1-3: 54 from T4) and hit the museums, which have enough dinosaurs and interactivity to keep them both occupied.

Otherwise Windsor Castle: there are a number of threads on this site about the local bus service.

You might try Osterly Park, a National Trust property about 5 tube stops down from Heathrow. Not that exciting, but enough open air to keep you all awake.
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I'd spend the entire 3 days in London. The parks will be lovely that time of year and there is so much to do in the City - Tower of London would be great for adults and kids; the Cabinet War Rooms near Westminster, the London Eye, the British Museum, Greenwich.

You might also consider one of the London Walks, they are very popular with Fodorites (http://london.walks.com/) as well as the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tours mentioned frequently here.
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Hi
if you click at the top of this screen on Destinatons, there is lots of info on London, including suggestions for short stays and for kids

I have a long file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Hi Mala & welcome to Fodors. You've gotten good info so far. In addition to Elaine's suggestion thta you check the Fodor's London info by going to destinations above, you can also read previous posts here thta may answer your questions by doing a text search. For example, if you type london AND family hotel in the text search box above, you'll get some previous posts. You could also try quad rooms in London. Another good search for you would be kids AND london and/or teens AND london.

The Marriott County Hall & the Travel Inn County Hall are both often mentioned as good family hotels. I agree in just 3 days, stay IN London. On the return trip Windsor is quite close to Heathrow.
Feb 4th, 2004, 03:27 PM

mala: The Cotswolds are really lovely and I steer many folks that way (I lived near there for 5 years and get back as often as possible)

But in your case I would not recommend a day trip. You will be in the middle of a pretty strenuous itinerary -- overnight to the UK and then 3 days later a long haul to India. If it were me I would rather not spend more hours in a cramped tour bus. Especially w/ kids. There is just sooooo much to fill your days in London and the children will find a ton of stuff they enjoy.
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:03 PM

While I think theatre at Stratford is tops, I'd disagree about the kids necessarily liking a show there. They are much more likely to enjoy a Shakespearean production at The Globe in London.

I'd agree that with only three days I'd stay in London. And for that long layover -- go to Windsor!!
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the truly helpful suggestions...we'll skip Cotswalds this time and spend all 3 days in London, since it sounds like theres lots of fun things to do in London for the kids as well as us. Thanks!
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Mala,

Another vote for staying in central London for your entire 3 days. There is more than enough to occupy you and your children for at least that long. If you do decide to take a day trip, Windsor/Eton is a good choice...only 30-40 minutes by train from downtown London. Greenwich is another good choice, easy to reach by Docklands Light Railway or on a boat tour from the city.

Each daytrip gives you a chance to explore outside the city center. Windsor castle is a wonderful place to visit and the town of Eton on the Thames is quaint and just a short walk away. Greenwich has a terrific nautical musuem and your kids will enjoy the old Royal Observatory, with the famous Prime Meridian line.

On your return trip, I would caution that an 8 hour layover is not as long as it might seem. With time to deplane, pass customs/immigration, then return to check in, passing security, etc., an 8 hour layover MAY not be long enough to allow you to venture out of the airport...

Dave White
[email protected]