Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 days in Cote d'Azur -- need suggestions!

Mar 16th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Hello... I will be spending 10 days in Provence in mid April (my family has rented a house in St. Remy for 2 weeks to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary), and my boyfriend and I plan to head to the Riviera for 3 days (4 nights) before departing from Nice back to the U.S. We have reservations at the Chevre D'Or in Eze for 2 nights and are looking for somewhere else to stay for the remaining 2 nights. I would like to maximize our short stay on the Riviera in terms of seeing and doing... to get the best taste possible of the region. Any thoughts on where we should spend the remaining 2 nights? Cannes? St. Paul de Vence? Any suggestions -- both as to city/village and hotels -- would be much appreciated. Thanks.

--Nicole
Mar 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we will have a car while we are there, as we will be driving from Provence.

--Nicole
Mar 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Have you been to Nice before? If not, that would be a good place to stay and visit; 2 days is about right, especially as from Nice you can easily visit Cannes, Mougin, St-Paul-de-Vence, and Antibes.

Just below St-Paul is the charming small inn Le Hameau. We've stayed there a number of times and like it very much. The web site is, I think,

www.le-hameau.com

In Nice we like the La Pérouse, which has some rooms with superb sea views. The hotel is very close to Vieux Nice, which makes sightseeing there easy.

Mar 16th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

We have not been to Nice before. Would you choose Nice over Cannes to stay for the remaining 2 nights? I definitely plan to visit Nice, but was not sure whether it was ideal to stay there, or whether it might be more pleasant to stay in a smaller town. I am open to any and all suggestions, though, so I appreciate the input.

--Nicole
Mar 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM

There is much more to do in Nice than in Cannes and a winder variety of hotel prices. Also, Cannes is definitely not a small town. If you'll have a car, you might consider staying in Mougins, just a bit above Cannes in the hills. There are several very good hotels and restaurants, and it's easy to use the autoroute to visit the area.
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. In addition, I have done a search of the many other threads on this subject and am in the process of reviewing pages and pages of printouts in order to benefit from the considerable collective experience on this board. It's just that, with a mere 3 days to experience this exquisite area, I'm trying to make careful decisions. Though I sense that it would be hard to go wrong anywhere, given the region at issue...

--Nicole
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I agree with the great advice you've already gotten from Underhill. I am not a big fan of Cannes because I think Nice has much more local color and flavor. Make sure to explore Vieux Nice, a section of town that is home to the flower market, seafood bistros,bakeries, and small boutiques of every kind. Also the Chagall museum is worth a visit.

If you're looking for a unique but expensive dining experience, try LA CHAUMIERE, which is about six miles outside of Nice. It's a Provencal restaurant which grills meats and chickens in the main dining room's fireplace. Appetizers include an enormous wicker basket full of their garden's vegetables, amazing dips, and mushrooms. Desserts are killer.

Have a wonderful time!
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I just wanted to mention that if you're interested in LA CHAUMIERE, you should make a reservation as far ahead as possible.
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:29 PM
epi

I know you didn't ask this question, but you may want to rethink two nights in Eze. We were just there touring, and my view may well be colored by the fact that it snowed in Eze, but Eze, while beautiful, is away from things. If I were choosing, I would choose one night in Eze for the experience, then move to Nice. Nice is a city with many restaurants and interesting walking areas. More importantly, it is very centrally located for driving. We spent a week in nice, and had a car for 3 days. We easily drove to Antibes, St Jean Cap Ferrat, and Biot. We had already been in Monaco and Cannes, and felt no need to return, but those are also an easy drive. Our favorite restaurants in Nice were Le Tire Bouchon (wonderful cassoulet) and Boccaccio (wonderful oysters and Paella). We also ate at Le meranda, which came highly recommended, but we wouldn't recommend it. The food was good, but you essentially sit back to back with the person behind you, on very small stools. FYI years ago we stayed at Colombe d'Or just outside the walls of St Paul de Vence. We loved St Paul de Vence, but found Colombe d'Or a major disappointment. Have a wonderful vacation.
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Hi Epi,
Eze sounds like a must do. Please, how to get from Nice to Eze without a car..train? bus? & how long a distance from Nice. Would prefer only a one day visit as I am booked every night in Nice.
Mar 18th, 2005, 04:34 AM

There's a bus that goes to Eze from the Gare Routiere ( main bus terminal) in Nice. I think the trip takes about 50 minutes.
Mar 18th, 2005, 04:49 AM

nicsoff; from Eze you could easily visit Monaco. Two full days just in Eze might be too much, but if you have a car, it's fine.
Like others here I also prefer Nice to Cannes; Cannes is much 'glitzier' and more touristy, Nice is a big city, with lots to do and see. However, if you prefer to stay in a smaller town, Mougins, as already mentioned, would be good. It's a nice village, with great restaurants, and it is very easy to get to Cannes, Nice, St Paul, or anywhere else you might like to visit.
Les Muscadins in Mougins is a nice hotel.
Mar 18th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight and suggestions. Actually, our stay in Eze for 2 nights is actually more about enjoying the indulgence of the Chevre D'Or than it is about staying in Eze for 2 days. I will have just spent 10 days in Provence with my family, and my boyfriend is meeting up with my on the Cote D'Azur after having traveled in Eastern Europe for 2 weeks. So, we thought it would be nice to be in a smallish, romantic village for the first couple of nights. We definitely plan to explore the coast during the days, and hope that, with a car, we'll be able to do this without a problem. Am rethinking Nice for the next couple of nights, as the consensus seems to be in support of that. Thanks, everyone!

--Nicole