Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 days in Barcelona - what's best to see/do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-days-in-barcelona-whats-best-to-see-do-229678/)

Nichola Jun 10th, 2002 05:19 AM

3 days in Barcelona - what's best to see/do?

I am travelling to Barcelona in early October and spending 3 days there before picking up a cruise round the Med for a week.<BR>Would like to see the sights & enjoy shopping and eating out....any recommendations?

Maggie Jun 10th, 2002 06:02 AM

Message: Hello Nichola<BR>I hope you enjoy Barcelona, the best way to see the city is by taking a two day pass on the Bus Turistic - ticket price 18 Euros. It leaves from Place Catalunya.<BR>It takes you to all the interesting sites and you can hop on and hop off as you wish.<BR>You can get off at the Tramvia Blue stop and take the ride up to Tibidabo, this gives you a superb view of the city and there are a couple of good restaurants near the funicular stop.<BR>Restaurant Nuria, right across the road from The Continental Hotel at the top of Las Ramblas also has a very good, reasonably priced, menu.<BR>The Barri Gothic (the old quarter) is a maze of narrow streets with the cathedral in the centre.<BR>You must see the traditional dance - The Sardana - which is performed at various times in the square in front of the cathedral. The tourist information office at Placa Catalunya will probably be able to let you have more details.<BR>Barceloneta, the old fishermans quarter, is also a good place to wander around with lots of excellent fish restaurants.<BR>Walking down Las Ramblas from Placa Catalunya down to the Colombus monument is an experience in itself with lots of living statues as well as various stalls selling flower, birds and bric-a-brac.<BR>Las Ramblas and the Barri Gothic are supposed to be the worst place for pick-pockets, but we had no trouble, just use common sense and don't flaunt any valuables such as watches and cameras.<BR>Hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did mine.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie <BR><BR>

c fedel Jun 10th, 2002 01:04 PM

I just took a Mediterranean cruise that ended in Barcelona. I would also recommend the Bus Turistic. You can purchase tickets right on the bus, or they can be purchased at the information office in Place Catalunya. Make some time to walk around Park Guell (which is on the Bus Turistic route). Try not to wear shorts or jeans when you are there (or anyplace in Europe for that matter) and you will look less like a tourist.

Paula Jun 10th, 2002 02:21 PM

Barcelona's a wonderful city. I'd add to make sure to see some of Gaudi's architecture--the Casa Mila, Parc Guell, or Sagrada Familia (or all three--it's managable and well worth the time). I'd also recommend a restaurant--Le Dolca Herminia at Magdalenes 27--2 blocks towards Ramblas from Palais de la Musica (which is also worthwhile to see inside, if you can). Have a great time.

Maggie Jun 10th, 2002 02:50 PM

All the attractions that the other two writers have mentioned, and many others, are covered on the route of the Bus Turistic - a very easy way to see everything the city has to offer.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.

Natasha Jun 10th, 2002 03:10 PM

I loved Park Guell, great pictures.

Terri Jun 10th, 2002 03:20 PM

I was in Barcelona, oh, about 8 years ago and it remains one of my favorite cities/trips...and I've done quite a bit of traveling since then! <BR><BR>As somone else posted, please do not miss the Sagrada Familia.<BR><BR>When I went, I bought an Insight Pocket Guide that gave several great walking tours of Barcelona, depending on how much time you have. Sounds kind of touristy, I know, but I did one of the walking tours and loved it. It took me through the old town (where there was a bridge modeled after Bridge of Sighs in Venice), saw some architectural highlights, the open air market, and then ended up in the port area where I had a nice glass of wine after a long days' walk...sorry I can't remember names/particulars right now -- I can still see the images though!<BR><BR>You will love Barcelona!