Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 days in Barcelona mid-Dec: Help with Itinerary and Tapas

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent two days in Barcelona on business and now want to show my wife what a fun and fascinating city this is. I have booked a hotel near the cathedral and we hope we will be lucky enough to get the Last-Minute flight we have our sights on. What is the best way to spend 2-3 days in Barcelona? Best afternoon meals on a budget? Best early evening tapas? Thanks
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Have you downloaded Maribel's Guide to Barcelona. It may help in your quest.

http://maribelsguides.com
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 09:36 PM

It really depends on what days you are there. Will you be there on Sunday? After mass is the dance in front of the Cathedral. All the locals wear their espadrilles and the orchestra sets up on the steps & everyone dances! The dance has a special name, I forgot what it is. I was there in Feb & everyone was dancing!

There is a Picasso museum, a lot of Gaudi architecture. I really enjoyed the ancient Roman ruins under the city. You can tour the old town, the olympic village, Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's Cathedral) My friends & I went up to the roof of the Barcelona Cathedral, Gaudi's Guell Park ... You could easily fill two days!

Go down to the harbor & eat lunch next to the ocean, walk down the Ramblas (there were plenty of street entertainers there at night in Feb).

Just be careful of the pickpockets and DO NOT take flowers from the gypsies! They will either pickpocket you or demand money!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Robert2533 I did carefully read the barcelona meribell and found it very helpful. That's how I located the hotel that I selected. But it represents one view point and was interested in other opinions.

cheribob: We plan to arrive on Wed afternoon and return late Sat evening.
Any more ideas?
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Since you've read Maribel's Guide, you may find the Turisme de Barcelona on-line guide helpful. It covers places to visit and things to do during a 1, 2 or 3-day visit to the city. It also has a list of restaurants, with cuisine pricing and reservations links.

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Barcelona is like every big city...plenty of restaurant choices from cheapo to expensivo! There are numerous Tapas bars around the city...but one of the better ones is across from the fountain, east side, of the Placa Catalunya...place mats describe each tapa...reasonably priced and delicious. Thought I had the name in my journal, but don't have it...I do remember there was an "x" in the name. Two excellent eateries for late lunch down in Barcelonetta are Ca Sole, and Can Majo (on the beach)..latter probably one of the better places for authentic paella...may be a fly problem from time to time, so eat inside.
The restaurant Agut in the Barrio Gotic is an old standby for reasonable Catalan choices, excellent.
I always suggest taking the Turistica Bus, red or blue...and get on and off for one afternoon or morning...stops at Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's Parc Guell and close to Mont Juic (for the Miro gallery!), among others. You simply get the next bus which runs every fifteen minutes. Keep digital handy, photo ops galore everywhwre in this energetic, electrifying city.
For fun breakfast, go into the main market La Boqueria on the Rambla, and eat at the kiosk Pixoto...Juan, in bow tie, will engage you in a friendly self-serving conversation, showing you his photo in a travel magazine...while wife dutifully cooks excellent omelets, etc. for bkfst. La Boqueria is a great market to begin with.
The Picasso Museum fairly close to your hotel is unique in that it stars Picasso as a young man..and his works are decidedly different during that early phase.You'd never guess it was Pablo. (The dancing mentioned above is The Saldana), only on Sunday)
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:28 AM

If you visit the Picasso Museum you must visit El Xampanyet on Calle Montcada, just down the road from the Picasso. Only open from 18.00-22.30 ish but real traditional tapas bar and very inexpensive.

Great for early evening Tapas and cheap glasses of cava. Some real local characters are regulars in here and the hosts offer a very friendly welcome.

Well worth a visit, we had a great night there in March this year.