3 days in Avignon, France. What not to miss

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have 3 days in Avignon second week of November. What should be seen? What would a taxi cost from TVG train station to center of town? Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Three days are more than enough for seeing Avignon; I'd suggest you take the train to Arles for one of those days.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

We arrive 10.45 am via TVG on our first day from Nice. If we left the next day at 4 pm to return to Nice, would that be enough time to see what is necessary in Avignon?
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Probably enough time although I love Avignon and three days wouldn't be too long. While you are there, try to eat at La Fourchette II, one of our favorite restaurants in Provence.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 10:10 AM

Why not take the 3 days you have and visit Aix, Avignon, and Arles (don't go to any of these places on a Sunday or Monday morning, however).

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM

From my recent visit to this area of France, I think Arles is a must whether you are a Van Gogh fan or not; there is also a hugh market on Wednesdays if you are keen on such thing. And if you are into Roman remains, drop into Nimes.

Ronald
http://my-tourdefrance.blogspot.com/
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 04:07 PM

I think 2 days would be enough if you just want to see the usual tourist attractions, and don't go anywhere else during those days. I think any decent guidebook will list what there is to see, off the top of my head I'd say the Palais des Papes, the cathedral Notre Dame des Doms, the hill park up there (Rocher des Doms -- where the cathedral is, at least on the way), the bridge (which you can see from that hill up there if you don't want to go on it), and the Petit Palais museum which is outstanding. Of course you'll see the Place de l'Horloge and the Town Hall, but you can't miss them, they are in the center and there are lots of open-air cafes around there where you may eat.

Those are the highlights, I'd say. There are some other churches you can see and some minor museums, and some picturesque areas to walk in (such as the rue des Teinturiers), if you had more time.

There is a shuttle bus that goes between Avignon center and the TGV station, but if you want to take a taxis for convenience, I'm guessing it might cost around 10 euro. It's not very far.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you like museums, the Musee Calvert in
an 18th century palace. From the Rocher des Doms
you can have views of the Rhone, the celebrated bridge and the bastions of Villeneuve-les-Avignon, beyond. If it were summer I would suggest visiting Villeneuve to see a very famous garden.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Can't give you a taxi price as I always take the shuttle bus from the station to it's stop just inside the city walls.

But there is plenty to see in Avignon. Pont St Benezet; the Popes Palace; Rocher des Doms gardens; the Cathedral; if it's running take a trip on the tourist train around the city; do a day trip across the river to Villeneave-lez-Avignon; a day trip to Arles.

I spend a few days in Avignon every time I visit France. It's a city I never tire of, and there is certainly plenty to do to fill your three days.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 03:32 AM

Agree that Villeneuve-les-Avignon is under-appreciated, and worth some time on your visit.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 06:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I spent two glorious weeks in Villeneuve. An easy walk across the bridge into Avignon which I often did passing the lawn where the men were playing Boules. Sometimes, i'd take the bus
Waiting for it on a bench by the fountain, where the old folks sat and chatted me up. A few times I took the boat.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 12:50 PM

I'd do some research on Orange, Nimes, Arles, Pont du Gard, Aigues Mortes and Uzes as well as Avignon.

Maybe 3 days wouldn't be enough !
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 12:58 PM

If you weren't leaving so soon, I'd suggest you read "French Fried," by Nancy Fairbanks, a fictional novel that gives a lot of interesting information regarding Lyons and Avignon.