3- Day Rome Trip Report 11/21-11/23

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3- Day Rome Trip Report 11/21-11/23

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from a week in Paris and Rome. Our 3 days in Rome were fantastic! It was my first trip and absolutely loved Rome. I appreciate all the advice received here.

We stayed at a small little hotel called Residenza Ave Roma which is right on the Tiber across from the Castel San’Angelo and not far from the Vatican (on Lungotevere tor di nona). It was a great location right around the corner from Piazza Navona. Our room was great - large with a four poster canopy bed and cherubs staring down at us. I did not read anything bad on tripadvisor about this place and it lived up to its reputation.

We arrived at 11am on Thursday at FCO and used Rome-Shuttle Limousine for 35 € for a private transfer to our hotel. They had a driver holding our name at baggage claim and a private Mercedes - very nice. Our driver didn’t speak much English but we managed to communicate just fine. The same driver also picked us up at 4am for our flight home on Sunday and was right on time. I highly recommend them and the price seemed more than reasonable. We arrived at our Hotel about 12:15.

All 3 days the weather was awesome…about 64 degrees during the day... you barely needed a jacket. This was just the perfect time to visit - yes there were still many American tourists (I just could not imagine having an enjoyable time with the crowds that there must be in the summertime). The crowds were not bad at all...it was a great time of year to visit.

After checking in we headed right out to Piazza Navona for lunch, about a 5 minute walk away. The Piazza, the fountains and the church were just wonderful. The center fountain had scaffolding around it as it is under some sort of restoration. Right away we were solicited for lunch in the Piazza. Now normally I would not eat anywhere where I am solicited off the street but the view in the Piazza is just great and listening to all the guitar music and watching the artists were terrific. It was also fun to watch the different restaurants try to solicit customers from one another. The lunch was not bad either.

By this time it was around 1:45pm so we hopped the bus down to the Colisseum. We opted for a 3-day transit pass. I was surprised that you just insert your ticket on the bus on the first day and it is basically the honor system for the rest of the time (ie: nobody checks for your ticket). Also, you can only buy your transit ticket in a Tobacco shop, usually near a bus stop (you cannot buy it on the bus). Look for the little square on the sign with a “T”. We didn’t opt for the Roma pass as we only had 2 ˝ days and were not sure it would pay out.

I originally planned to skip going in the Colliseum, but it got the best of me and I had to go inside. This was absolutely worth going inside and one of the highlights of our trip. The line was not long at all, I think we waited about 15 minutes. After the Col1iseum we headed over to the Forum, but they closed the gates at about 4:15pm (winter hours). So we decided we would need to go back another day.

We decided to hop the metro at the Colisseum to Termini, change at Termini to the metro up to the Flaminio station at the Piazza Del Popolo. The Piazza Del Popolo is a huge square with wonderful statutes and fountains. There is an Egyptian Obelisk in the center. It was about sunset and was quite romantic.

We stopped in the Santa Maria del Popolo which is a beautiful old church. We then headed up Via Del Corso which is one of the main shopping areas in Rome. There is just about every upscale store you could want (Gucci, Versace, etc). Too rich for my blood though….I just got some Gelato! We walked up Via Del Corso to the Spanish Steps and sat and rested a bit, climbed to the top and back down - then headed back up Via Del Corso and over to the Piazza Spagna and the Trevi Fountain. The Trevi Fountain was quite crowded with Tourists (again I could not see getting near it during primetime months). We ran into some kind fellow Americans to take our picture. The evenings were quite pleasant, about 50 degrees.

We ended up at Dinner back near Piazza Navona on a charming street (Madeline) at a café under the heaters. There is also a great gelato place on this street, which really had the best selection of gelato of anyplace during our trip. I did return once more here before we left.

I will post more later…don’t want to make this too long.

TS
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Enjoying your report. Look forward to the next write-up.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Very nice - what a busy first day!
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Hi travelsuper, I am so glad you two had a great time. Yes, you did a lot on your arrival. Excitement can overcome jetlag! I am looking forward to your next installment and thanks for sharing your joy regarding Rome with us!
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the great trip report!

I enjoyed reading about your adventures in Rome. Please continue, it's not too late!

I am thinking of also booking transfers with Rome Shuttle Limousines. I am curious, did you pay them in advance with a credit card or on the spot?

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Sorry I have not been on in awhile...just been busy!

Rome-Shuttle Limousines were just delightful and we thought reasonably priced. From the sign held up with our name in the airport to the private Mercedes, it was well worth the money. We booked in advanced with our credit card and just tipped the driver.

TS