3-Day London Itinerary Help

Nov 15th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

3-Day London Itinerary Help

Need some help from the experts here. We arrive in London on Thanksgiving Day and will probably be able to set out from the hotel around 11AM. (Leaving Sunday morning.)

We've determined that the must-do's are: Queen's Gallery (have tickets for 4:30 Thursday), Tower of London, Kensington Palace, Windor Castle, National Portrait Gallery (open late Thursday/Friday).

Then, National Gallery, Westminster Abbey, Courtauld Institute.

If possible London Eye, Cabinet War Rooms, St. Paul's.

We'd love to do the double decker bus tour one day, but both seem to go the opposite direction of optimising the stops we want to make. It's our first trip, so we'd like to just ride around for future reference.

I've been staring at bus/tube/street maps for weeks and I'm stumped!

Made dinner reservations at Rules for Friday night, but I'm thinking of changing that to just after Queen's Gallery Thursday, as we'll likely tire out early.

We're both just over 50. We tend to breeze (though not rush) through museums and other sights, as opposed to linger along. We usually manage to get to more places than we expect.

Of course, would like to do a bit of shopping. Is there a night the department stores are open later?

Thanks for any assistance!
Nov 15th, 2003, 10:35 AM

If you're only in London for 3 days, perhaps skip Windsor; it's outside of London, and although not that far, it will take up at least half a day, that you could better spend in London. Also, if you go by bus, the M4 to and from Windsor can get very busy, so you might be stuck in traffic too.
Do the London Eye only if you have good weather.
I do not find Kensington Palace very interesting, but don't know what your interests are off course.
Check opening hours on Harrods website, Harvey Nichols and Selfidges. Pretty sure that HN is open till 8 pm most days.
Have a great time in London!
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:08 PM

djkbooks - We will be in London the same days as you. We also have 3 days and it is so difficult to eliminate attractions that you don't have time for!

To answer Tulips question - both Harrod's and Selfridges are open until 8pm (per their websites.) Covent Garden is supposed to be open until 7pm - but I am not 100% sure.

Can anyone here comment on the Queens Gallery?

Thanks - and enjoy your trip! (I am glad our visit will not coincide with GWB's visit - the city will be jam packed - and the Queens Gallery is closed!)
Nov 17th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Hi
If you click at the top of this screen on Destinations, and go to the London section, there are suggested itineraries for short visits.

I can see you are art fans. On this first visit, I too would say to skip Windsor Castle, and perhaps Ken. Palace

If you don't want to do the official bus tour, do an unofficial one:
you could take, for one example, the #11 city bus. It goes from Liverpoool Station to Chelsea (and back again), passing or passing nearby such sights as the Bank of England, St Paul's Cathedral,Trafalgar Square (Nat'al Portrait Gallery), Whitehall (Cabinet War Rooms), etc.

The #159 and the #15 also have interesting routes. Have your map out so you can orient yourself as you ride.

I have a long file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Nov 17th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Whatever you change, do not miss Rules. The game (deer?) was great!

The double decker bus ride, is a good way to relax and still sightsee. FYI we were there in March and it was cold.

Cheap and interesting lunch is the take away area at Harrods. You kill to birds with one stone, shop and some interesting British eats.

Enjoy

Nov 17th, 2003, 09:05 AM

The bus tour goes everywhere (maybe not the most direct route) and is great for your first time in London. But if it's raining and you have to sit downstairs, it's really not worth it (in my opinion). You don't see much at that level. Maybe do it the day you go to Tower of London and get off at that stop?

Search this Thread