Search

3 Day in London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Day in London

My very active 86 yr. old mother and I will be coming off a cruise in late August after the Olympics for 3 days. I'm not sure what to try to cram into 3 days at a little slower pace. My mom has been to London and much of England so she is open to what I really want to see. I am not even sure of my priorities. I think I want to get on one of the tourist buses that you can get on and off so we , hopefully, can get into Westminster Abbey and the Tower of London. i'm not much of a tour person so I will be very happy just seeing the Parliment and Buckingham Palace, etc. We have an opportunity to go out to the Cottswalds for a day...I would like to go to the Tate Mueum, and maybe parts of the Victoria and Albert. I said cram but I really don't want to see everything and then lose the "feel" of the city. I'm hoping to go back one day. We will be staying in the Kensington area. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM

I'd skip Buck, if you are going for changing of guard
St James Park
Boat up to Hampton Court
Leasurely day at british Museum
Harrod's or one of the other big stores..
a walk with London Walks
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:17 PM

Hi! I usually steer clear of tours, but I must say that the double-decker buses that go around London do a pretty good show of showing you the town with interesting commentary. I've been living in England for 6 months now and when my mother went to visit me in December we used the Big Bus Company (we were staying at the May Fair hotel, and this company has a stop really close by (Green Park underground). It was my mum's first time in London and she loved it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 05:19 PM

Do you have three full days, or do those days include the day you get there from the cruise?

With three full days, you could spend one morning around Westminster, the afternoon at the V&A; one morning at the Tower (get there when it opens) and a couple hours at the Tate Modern; and your day trip to the Cotswolds. That would be a busy trip, and obviously you'd be missing a lot of things, but hits your high points.

People are divided on the hop-on-hop-off tours. I tend to think they're overpriced and you'll see a lot of the same things as you're sightseeing anyway. It takes time away from being in a museum or doing whatever else you want to do. Some people really like them, though.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great recommendations! I hate to sound stupid but what's the difference between the Tate Modern and the Tate British? Are they at two diffeent buildings?
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 03:55 PM

They're completely separate. The Tate Britain is British art and is located in Pimlico. The Tate Modern is, logically, modern art and is across the Millennium Bridge from St. Paul's. The Tate web site has information about both.

http://www.tate.org.uk/