Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 countries, 3 different currency: What to do ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-countries-3-different-currency-what-to-do-601672/)

travel52 Mar 23rd, 2006 06:45 AM

3 countries, 3 different currency: What to do ?

We will be going to Norway, England and Italy. We usually do most transactions on credit card, but should I get a small amount of each currency before we go?

tod Mar 23rd, 2006 06:50 AM

Take some currency - very handy when you first set foot in a country.
I know lots of Fodorites go for getting the cash when you arrive at the airport.
I on the other hand could not be bothered after a getting off a plane.

sandi_travelnut Mar 23rd, 2006 07:09 AM

Only get enough to maybe pay for a cab or food. Get the majority (or the rest of it) after you've landed and have time to find an ATM.

grsing Mar 23rd, 2006 07:14 AM

I just take whatever is lying around, and use the ATM at the airport. It's not that much of a hassle (less than going around trying to get it before you leave, IMHO), takes maybe a minute.

Robespierre Mar 23rd, 2006 07:36 AM

I don't make any special effort to acquire local currency before I get there. I carry some USD as a backup, but don't normally buy local until I get to a <i>bank</i> ATM. Knowing what I do about information technology, I like to be able to walk into the bank and talk to a human if the machine eats my card. You can't do that at an airport.

I buy my way to town with a debit or credit card and worry about acquiring coin of the realm after I'm settled. Sometimes I don't even need any.

suze Mar 23rd, 2006 11:24 AM

I would use an ATM at your arrival airport or train station.

noe847 Mar 23rd, 2006 11:36 AM

We have gotten a small amount of cash at exchange offices at the airport (high fees, so we don't get much). Then get more cash at a bank ATM. At the end of our traveling time with a particular currency, we don't spend everything. We keep some leftover cash in a &quot;travel&quot; drawer at home, and bring it back the next time. I have between $50 and $100 worth of currency from Great Britain, the Czech Republic, Euros, and some Canadian and Central American cash.

travel52 Mar 23rd, 2006 11:52 AM

Thanks to all !

kismetchimera Mar 23rd, 2006 01:05 PM

I like to play safe and always carry a small amount of euros with me..just enough to get me by the first day..

Too many times the ATM machines that I tried to use, for a reason or another were malfunctioning, so I learned my lesson.
I am going back the end of August but I still have some Euros from my last trip and will have enough to go by for few days.

ira Mar 23rd, 2006 01:09 PM

Hi T,

You might want to pick up about $30 in Norwegian Krona at your departure airport, because that will be when you are most jet lagged.

From then on follow your usual procedure, and get cash at ATMs as you need it.

((I))

Neopolitan Mar 23rd, 2006 01:52 PM

And consider putting whatever cash you have left on the hotel bill of your last stay in each country -- unless you want to take it home for your next trip there. I'd suggest spending it out rather than converting it to the next currency.