Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   3 & 2 half days in Iceland - best trips for summer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-and-2-half-days-in-iceland-best-trips-for-summer-833067/)

Zanmei Mar 28th, 2010 12:50 AM

3 & 2 half days in Iceland - best trips for summer?

Greetings Iceland fans,

I am a new member and will be visiting Iceland for the first time. I will be arriving in the afternoon of July 8th and leaving in the late afternoon of July 12th on my way home to Canada from Northern Iraq and want to be able to make the most of my time in Iceland. (As this is a new and reasonably economic route, I am certain I will be using it again come winter). Ideally I would rent a car and make my own way around the island, but I as I am a weak driver, I don't feel comfortable driving without another person in the car.

Given the above, I have already booked my hotel in Reykjavik and plan to take day trips. It seems that without a car, solo travel by public transportation is very time consuming. I wonder if anyone could recommend the best tours for this time of year and the best companies to go with? I can't afford private tours (otherwise I would have booked something like the trip I could take if I were willing to drive myself), but would prefer ones with fewer people and taking in those sights that are best seen in summer. Love the idea of sailing around glaciers (but it seems Jökulsárlón is a long way to go in one day... is it worth it?). It seems the puffins would still be about in July. Travel guides seem to recommend Snæfellsnes, Landmannalaugar, Golden Circle and whale watching tours. How to decide? Which company to have a more personal experience with? Please help. I am a little out of my element as I normally organize my trips around food, cultural events, and works of man-made rather than natural beauty.

Many thanks to those willing to share their experiences.

PS. I have a long stopover on the way back (8 hours), so I figure there is no need to try to fit in the Blue Lagoon until my way back.

Amy Mar 28th, 2010 04:24 AM

To me, the "Golden Circle" is the most representative Iceland tour; I'm afraid I can't help you with specific tour companies, but it seems that most itineraries are pretty much the same.

My favorite spot for summer is Thorvold (Thor's Woods). Reykjavik itself is, of course, quite easy to get around and worth some exploration time.

Here's a list for some beginning ideas; while old, it does include things that of course are still there:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...in-iceland.cfm

Zanmei Mar 28th, 2010 10:43 PM

Thanks Amy,

I will certainly be certain to include many of the things included on the list of things to do in Reykjavik. Believe it or not, the hot dogs at the harbor, fish stew and all the things to do with food and drink were already on my list. (I miss variety and am tired of kebabs).

But unfortunately, the list makes it even HARDER to choose what to do. There seem to be so many great things. The Golden Circle Tour should be easy to fit in and seems to be a must.

And your choice would be hiking in Thor's Wood. I think this is the South Coast, so maybe better to put off Jökulsárlón until I have more time and don't have to travel so far?

There is still a day left. Of Snaeffellsnes, Vestmannaeyjar or actually going all the way to Jökulsárlón, which would you choose? Or would you advise just staying in Reykjavik and possibly going whale watching or riding a horse through a lava field?

Thanks again...

Amy Mar 29th, 2010 05:31 AM

Iceland really is one of my favorite countries of all time. (Peru is one of the others, so there doesn't seem to be a common theme. :) ) I haven't been to Vestmannaeyjar and I think only to the glacier bit of Jökulsárlón, so I can't advise too much on those: on my first Icelandic trip, I went to east Greenland from Reykjavik and did the "boat amongst the icebergs" there. Jökulsárlón does look lovely, though. You can do the horse/whale watching out of Snæfellsnes, as part of a day there; you might get to see the puffins that way, too, so as an overview that might be a good choice.

Sorry I can't be more precise, but it's been a while--too long, really, but then, so many other trips keep getting in the way! Since my first trip, I've been back twice, but I've been going to Asia and South America more than to Europe lately so the Icelandair layover doesn't work so well...

annhig Mar 29th, 2010 06:30 AM

hi Zanmei,

we went to Iceland about 18 months ago and did some of the things that you are talking about, though we had 10 days.

Jokulsarlon [can't manage the proper symbols on this machine] was a lot of fun but not worth the journey in a day - a lot of it is just endless lava fields. you might think of some places closer to Reykjavik though like Vik and the nearby waterfalls.

Westmannjaer is interesting, but mainly for the journey on the tiny planes - and the museum was fun.

the whale-watching trip from snaefelness was very good [we saw a pod of killer whals] and you might see penguins - or there are other trips too, from other ports long the north coast of the peninsular. that woudl be my choice for a day trip after you've seen the golden circle.

if you click on my screen name, you can find my iceland trip report where I give a warts and all account of our trip.

have a great time,

regards, ann

Zanmei Apr 3rd, 2010 10:45 PM

Amy and Annhig,

Thanks for the replies. You have really helped me narrow the choices down.

Annig, when you said you flew to Vestmannaeyjar (which I think I will skip on this trip), it got me thinking... maybe I could fly to Jökulsárlón on Eagle Air... that would avoid what would clearly be too many hours driving by lava fields... or of course I can skip it entirely until next time (or do Greenland next time). I was going to ask if I should book in advance for my "tours" but I guess I have answered it myself. If I want to fly, yes. If not, I probably can just decide what to do when I get there... which brings me to the next topic...

Whale watching.
Being from Vancouver (and having seen plenty of pods of whales even from ferry crossings), I wasn't as sold on the whale watching... until I discovered there is a new thing - Whale watching by the midnight sun! That sounds rather intriguing. But it doesn't run often and they suggest early booking. But that means I can't be sure the weather will be good... which is likely important on such kind of trip... Sigh.

The other trips: Thor's Woods and/or Landmannalauger, I can decide and book there (I think).

Anyway, I think Iceland is going to be great whichever way it turns out. Thanks again.

Amy,
Totally jealous of the South America trips. S America is one of my dreams, but at the moment it is just too far from the Middle East. However, at least I get a little Latin dancing in on my way back to Iraq. I am meeting friends in Spain on the way back to Iraq and have already located the salsa clubs. PS. Anyone interested in Northern Iraq, my colleagues and I host most of the region's "couch surfers".