Sorting out my travel Days in Italy

Old Mar 5th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorting out my travel Days in Italy

We are going to Itay in the beggining of October and we want to visit Rome, Florence and Positano. We will be in Italy for 9 nights. This is what we are thinking of doing:

Rome =4 night/3 days
Travel by Train to Positano
Positano =2 nights and 1 day
Travel by train to Florence with a stop in Pompeii for sightseeing
Florence=3 nights/2 day
Then we are off to the next country.

Is my plan doable? Thank you
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 01:00 PM

If your arrival in Rome is super early in the morning, you might get more usable time out by traveling on to Positano on arrival day. Many people automatically stay in Rome when landing in Rome assuming they would be too tired and assume they could rest on arrival. But it you are super early in the morning, you cannot do this because the hotel may not be be ready to give you a room until afternoon. In this case, if you don't want to visit museums, etc, when you mind is too tired, you would be wasting time until your check-in time. In this case, traveling on to Positano make use of this too-tired-to-visit-attraction time into a productive travel time and you recapture a day you could have lost traveling to Position later when you are alert and COULD be visiting something else.
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 01:14 PM

I agree with Greg on this. It would also be better to be in Rome when leaving for your next destination, because it has more direct fast trains, and a lot more flights, than Florence does.

To get to Positano, take a train to Salerno and a boat from there to Positano. Try to find a hotel near the dock, and not uphill, or you might have to hire a porter to take your bags to the hotel. You'll only be there two nights, so it doesn't much matter where you stay.

From Positano to Florence, you could take a boat to Naples and then continue to Florence by train. Or you could take a bus to Sorrento, then a little commuter train to Naples, and then continue by train. Or you could go back the way you came. There are direct trains to Florence from Salerno and Naples.
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 01:23 PM

Don't think you can get to Positano by train. You can take train part way, then bus, ferry or car.

It is almost always best to stay in the city of departure at the end of the trip, but if you are not departing from Rome, it is fine to stay there on arrival.

I do think one day on the Amalfi Coast in Positano is very short.

Where are you coming from before Rome?
What is your next country and how are you getting there?

Posting your whole itinerary might get some good suggestions for putting things in a different order to save you going all the way to the AC from Rome, then backtracking right back past Rome to Florence.
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. travel dates October 8-25/2015 Here is my full itinerary:

Day 1 Fly LAX- Rome
Day 2 Rome
Day 3 Rome
Day 4 Rome
Day 5 Train from Rome to Positino (various forms of travel to get there)
Day 6 Positino
Day 7 Train to Florence stopping in Pompeii
Day 8 Florence
Day 9 Florence-day trip to Sienna
Day 10 Fly Florence to Paris
7 Days in Paris

I already have an apartment booked in Rome and a Hotel in Florence. I also have an apartment booked in Paris and want my full 7 days there.

I was originally going to spend 3 full days in Florence and do a Day trip to Cinque Terre, but I have read more positive things about the Amalfi Coast for October.

I am 49 and hubby is 50 and he has had Cancer (100% recovery so far), so will we ever be back? I don't know, I really hope so, but life threw us a curve 2 years ago and now I rethink my "tomorrow's".
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 04:17 PM

The only slight modification I might consider would be to suggest you take the train from Rome to Naples and have a driver meet you at the train station and drive you to Positano. Then, when you finish in Positano, have a driver pick you up and wait while you tour Pompeii and then take you back to the Naples train station and from there, you can go to Florence. We did this (or a similar variation) in the fall of 2013 and it worked well. We booked the driver through our hotel in Amalfi.