3.5 Days in Sicilia (taormina base)

Jul 6th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

3.5 Days in Sicilia (taormina base)

Hi There,

In early August, I will be flying into Catania (Tuesday very early), and departing from Catania (Friday evening). My home base will be a hotel in Taormina, and I will have a car.

I need recommendations for nearby towns to see and generally speaking things to do. It's important to know the following:

- I would like to spend some time hiking, and have heard Etna can satisfy this craving. One or two hikes would be ideal (nothing more)

- I would like to have a VERY SMALL amount of time at a beach or two; not a huge proportion of the trip, but maybe half a day if there is a nice one

- I don't mind driving at all, so if there are towns 2 hours away, that's fine!

- The priority for my time in Sicilia = exploring and experiencing local small towns and the culture of those towns.

- I've spent an afternoon in Taormina once. Do I need more than a day of this trip exploring?

I've posted on here before on this topic, but I'm looking for the equivelant of my trip 2 years ago in Tuscany, where I used Montalcino as a base and explored all the small tuscan towns.
Jul 6th, 2016, 07:18 PM
kja

Re: having a car: I trust you have made sure you have access to parking? Taormina is not particularly amenable to cars....

For a beach: Giardini Naxos is just below Taormina and readily accessible by funicular.

A sampling visit to the highlights of Sicily -- and I do mean JUST sampling the highlights -- takes 2 weeks minimum, or better, 3 weeks (and even then, one would have to skip some awesome places). Have you consulted any guidebooks? Or any of the many many MANY trip reports and planning threads on this board? I would think they would prove invaluable to you.

I strongly recommend that you do a bit more research. Sicily is an amazing place, with an incredible wealth of worthy sites, and NONE of us can tell you what to do with your time.

Good luck!

Search this Thread