Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A romantic get away: One night in Capri, August 23rd Am I Crazy???

Old Jul 6th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for tough love regarding an attempt to visit Capri/Amalfii Coast in late August mid week.

I don't think I will have another chance to visit Capri, and would love to also visit Positano or somewhere on the Amalfi Coast. But sadly my only time is the last weeks of August. Is it possible to enjoy this Island knowing it will be crowded? And worth the expense and time and effort? Advice please!

Starting from Trevi, Italy on August 22nd. One night in Capri. Another night in Naples or Sorrento? Then head back to Trevi several days later.

How best to manage the logistics and how much time to allow given we only have two nights possibly a third night if advisable to experience Capri and the Amalfii Coast. Possibly one or the other and not both? Please advise.

This may be a huge request for logistics but here goes:

We like to spend one night in Capri, do some hiking, a boat ride, sitting at cafes and people watching.Take this chair lift I've read about. Basically a chill experience. I've located a few reasonable places in Anacapri that still has available rooms.

Would be sweet to also add on a short visit somewhere on the Amalfi Coast.

If anyone has links where I can find the best and efficient way to get to Capri much appreciate. And is it advisable to purchase train and boat tickets now or the day of departure?

And possibly a boat to Positano for day trip and boat back to Naples onward to Trevi. But that could be asking for too much to do in one day and probably exhausting.

So I'm looking for some serious advice on how best to to this trip. OR not to do this trip and just stay put and explore the areas around Trevi?

And if anyone knows Trevi and the surrounding areas I'm up for getting tips on this also.

Many thinks for everyone's thoughts!
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 10:23 AM
ekc

OK, you could train to Naples, then catch the ferry to Capri. Just stay on Capri - don't try to fit in a visit to Positano. You don't have time and the whole area is HEAVING with tourists in August.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 11:17 AM

If this is for this August, it may be decided by where you can find a hotel. I imagine most are at or near capacity by now.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 11:20 AM

You could train to Salerno and catch a ferry to Capri.

Agree that you should stay on Capri. Two nights if you can make it.

Why do you have to go back to Trevi? Just nosey.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess you'll have a car coming from Trevi??? You could drive to Spoleto and take an early morning train to Naples. Taxi to the marina, take a fast ferry to Capri and arrive in time for a late lunch. You don't 'need' to book the train in advance, but there could be some discounts if you do. I would definitely book the ferry.

After seeing your list of what you hope to do on Capri, I personally don't think you have time to hop around. Specifically, the idea of a boat to Positano, then boat to Naples, taxi to the station, train to Spoleto, drive to Trevi may be possible in theory but sounds like a bad dream to me.

You need to examine ferry and train timetables. Coming from Spoleto, I don't think you could reach Salerno early enough to ferry to Capri the same day, but going through Salerno on the return might work. I don't think the first Capri-Positano ferry leaves terribly early. Etc.

Even if you check Capri and possibly Positano off your bucket list, you'll be missing lots of things that make this part of Italy worth spending time in. I would just stay in Umbria and then visit Capri, the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Naples on a future trip. But it's your trip, your call.

What will you already be doing in the Trevi area? How many days are you there, and what's before and after Umbria?
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 01:42 PM

>>

http://www.capri.net/

Buy tickets on the day, otherwise if your train is late or delayed and you miss your ferry you've done your money and you won't get a refund.

>>
http://www.lucibello.it/web/en/posit...line-to-capri/

You can't take a ferry from Positano to Naples. This route does not exist (it used to but the operator closed this service back in 2011).
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 01:45 PM

I visited Capri and stayed in Anacapri for two nights. I found Capri very overrated and crowded. That was mid Sept. You couldnt pay me to go there in August.

Romantic, chill getaway? Not even close. More like a tourist nightmare.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 07:09 PM
kja

"We like to spend one night in Capri, do some hiking, a boat ride, sitting at cafes and people watching.Take this chair lift I've read about. Basically a chill experience."

I think you can fit all these things in -- EXCEPT finding it chill! Making all of these things happen in a one day stay (or less!) would, at that time of year, potentially involve lots of watch-checking and standing in lines and dealing with crowds. JMO.

And FWIW, I did find a way to fit all your listed activities into a 24-hour stay, but in May (not August) and I wasn't looking for romance, chill, or relaxation.

Good luck!