3-4 star hotel in Rome?

May 7th, 2001, 06:54 PM
dave

3-4 star hotel in Rome?

Can someone recommend a 3 or 4 star hotel in Rome where the rate is no higher than $200 US a night?
It must be within 20 minutes walking distance to the touristy stuff (forum, colliseum, etc....).
Names of excellent restuarants also appreciated.

Thanks

May 8th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Carol

We were in Rome in March and stayed in two hotels: Colonna Palace and Portoghesi.

Both of these are in the old section of Rome near the Piazza Navona and Pantheon. The neightborhood has wonderful little shops, bakeries, gelato, etc. at your doorstep.

I'd definitely stay at either hotel next time in Rome.

Write me for names of restaurants...I have them in a file on another computer.

May 8th, 2001, 10:35 AM
e

Carol,how far are you from most of the "sights"? And would this area be your first time in Rome choice??.

May 8th, 2001, 10:50 AM
m

Another choice is Santa Chiara (http://www.venere.it/roma/santa_chiara/ , also in the old section.

e, the area carol refers to is a great area and near much of the sites. also many restaurants.

May 9th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Kailyn

I stayed at a 4-star hotel called the Hotel Grand Plaza. It is within walking distance to ALL the sites, in fact we walked the entire time we were there. It's a really good deal, I believe we got a deal for 3 nights. Check out the website: www.grandhotelplaza.com

We ate at one great restaurant: Il 34, aka, Ristorante 34, 2 short blocks from the hotel near the spanish steps.

May 10th, 2001, 01:03 PM
mariano

Hi Dave.
Visit www.residenzacellini.it
Only 6 rooms, superb. Ask for Donato.
Like a luxurious house. Best Price.

Restaurants: Gusto (modern, 25$), Sans Souci (lux, 100$), & much more.

To see: Villa Borghese &...

May 10th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Carey

Try:

www.casahoward.com

Under 200, only 5 rooms, and great location- in between the Spanish Steps and the Fountain Trevi.

May 10th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Sandy

We just returned from Rome. We stayed at the Santa Chiara and it was fabulous. The price was 390.000 lira which works out to about $180/night. It is literally 5 minutes from the Pantheon, about 10 minutes from either Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona, and about a 15 minute walk to either the Forum area or the Vatican area. There's a handy internet site about 1 block away which makes it easy if you want to keep in touch with people back home. Their breakfast was really good too - way more than you usually receive in Europe. Since we are budget travelers, the cost was more than we usually spend but worth every penny! Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

May 10th, 2001, 08:22 PM
richardab

Hello! I am the poster child for the Hotel Due Torri which is near the Piazza Navona. This is a very centrally located hotel with reasonable rates. The hotel is clean, has good bathrooms and decent beds. The location is quiet and the staff is very nice and helpful.

I have some pics of it on my websight--

http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab

Have Fun!

Follow the path to Europe, then to Rome to find it.

May 14th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Carol

This was our first time in Rome. Fortunately, very good friends of ours have been there several times and recommended this area to stay in.

After all is said and done, I would stay in the same spot every time in the future. There are several sights just five minutes away. But best of all is the quaint neighborhood feel.

Have a great time!

May 14th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Lucy

Richard, the Due Torri's "poster child", speaks the truth. It's a lovely hotel that I would recommend highly. When we stayed there, we felt as if we had an elegant little home in Rome. Nice staff, cute rooms.

May 14th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Warren

Carey, how was the noise at Casa Howard? Any special room to request? A/C? Thanks.

May 14th, 2001, 11:01 AM
steve

Dave, try the Hotel julia on Rasella street. It's 3 stars, quiet, and nice. It's located between the Piazza Barberini and the Trevi fountain.

Here's the URL -
http://www.rome4u.com/hotels/julia/
index.html

May 14th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Rex

I was recently asked, in a private e-mail about Albergo del Senato, and I wrote back the following reply:

I give this hotel my highest marks for value. Everything is clean, modern and attractive, and at 430.000 for a double - - LITERALLY overlooking the Pantheon - - I think it is an excellent value. You DO give up having a restaurant IN the hotel - - but so what? I can give very high marks to two places not 200 yards away - - Le Volte (the Hotel will give you directions) - - and the rooftop garden restaurant of the Crowne Plaza Minerva hotel, for starters.

The elevator is characteristically small ("Europe-sized") - - holds 4 people
without luggage or 2 people with - - but I have seen much smaller. The rooms
are also somewhat small - - but I have seen much worse in Paris - - and I
thought that the bathroom and beautiful mirrored wardrobe more than made up
for it. Standard (totally modern) bathroom with strong hot water, roomy
bathtub with shower, bidet, toilet, standard sink/vanity; pleasant amenities. Good mini-fridge with COLD cokes, etc - - and even 10 little ice cubes in a tray. Good telephone service with no restrictions on using ATT Global
(172-1011). Excellent breakfast by nature of food offered and service of
staff. Attentive front desk staff - - called taxis, made restaurant
reservations.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (worst to best). I would say

Value: 10
Room size: 7
Room quality: 9
Service: 9
Atmosphere: 9
Breakfast: 9

I would put all this into fodor's Rants and Raves, but the hotel is not listed there (is this because it is not in a Fodor's book? - - perhaps all the better for you - - fewer people will know about it).

Best wishes,

Rex

P.S. One final comment - - I think there is a mistaken notion that "the forum" or the Colosseum are repsentative locations of all the good "touristy stuff".

I think it far better to be in the Centro Storico - - for the best of everything - - shopping, restaurants, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona - - and figure out how you will get the transportation you prefer (foot, taxi, bus) to such places as the Vatican, Colosseum, Borghese, etc.

May 14th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Rex

to the top - - for Jon (Rettig)

May 14th, 2001, 07:17 PM
sally

Dave: we couldn't get into Al 34 for dinner, which we heard was wonderful, so ate at Nino very near Sp. Steps and it was quite good. If looking for top of the line rest. w/ innovative cuisine, try Il Convivio right near Piazza Navona (reservations needed and ask for explicit directions, as it's a tad hard to find). Four of us had app., entrees, 2 bottles of stellar wine and dessert sampler for approx 400 USD--this was last night in Rome and our farewell dinner and worth every penny of it!!. Do NOT miss Villa Borghese gardens and museum--reservations required there, too. Have a wonderful time.

May 15th, 2001, 08:48 AM
bobo

To the top

May 15th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Judy

Rex, is it you who recommended Hotel Cesari a few posts back? If so, how does it compare with the hotels you just mentioned? Thanks, Judy.

May 15th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Rex

Yes, I have recommended Cesari, based on a two night stay there in 1999. And I would not retract my recommendation of the Cesari - - but the location of Senato and the general "look" somehow seems superior.

I'm not sure that the rooms are really any less satisfactory at Cesari. I thought that the breakfast (and breakfast room) was a little nicer - - and the Senato comes closer to having an "actual lobby" (and bar).

If you have a car (but not a van), the Autorimessa (which is very very expensive) between Piazza di Colonna and Trevi fountain is closer to Cesari (200 yards?).

I won't argue with someone (on a different thread) that the Piazza della Rotonda has a very busy, POTENTIALLY circus-y atmosphere. There's a McDonald's there, for example, but then there's also the Pantheon itself. but it never bothered us in the slightest.

I just liked Senato - - perhaps it was in contrast to the Grand Hotel Plaza (which we left - - as substantially worse overpriced, and a bit of a "has-been").

May 15th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Cecilie

I just got back from Rome and stayed at the Albergo del Senato that Rex described and it was wonderful! I highly recommend it and we were able to walk everywhere from this location. It was especially nice to see the Pantheon first thing every morning and then at night with the lights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO