Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 - 4 days in and around Zagreb...alone...

Jan 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Im going for 8 days for a congress in Pag, Croatia.
My wife cant join me before nor after, so Im going alone.
Since Ill already be there, Ill like to spend at least 3-4 days getting to know the area before heading back home again (in latin america).

So, any suggested 3-4 tinerary for a 35 year old married man, interested in culture, food, scenery, nature?

Ill be in Pag, and fly out from Zagreb...

thanks
Jan 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM

I'm taking a one-day cooking class when I'm in Zagreb. If it interests you, I'll gladly give you the information. The guy I've been arranging it with has been fantastic about communicating with me, and very helpful. It's my first time to Zagreb.
Jan 15th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi!
Sounds different, interesting. Is it a class of the regional cuisine?
thanks,
Jan 15th, 2010, 04:31 AM

If you will have a car, you could drive to Plitvice Lakes to see the beautiful park there before going on to Zagreb.
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Will you rent a car or use public transportation?

I would check out Zadar, then stop in Plitvice, then explore Zagreb. There is also Paklenica near Zadar, as well as islands offshore from Zadar. See Croatian National Tourist Board website for maps and info.
Jan 15th, 2010, 07:00 AM
kja

I agree with the recommendations to visit Plitvice Lakes - I'd recommend an overnight stay and the better part of a day for exploring the park. Beyond that, you have many options! Depending on your interests and preferred pace of travel, Zagreb itself could merit several days. As yorkshire mentioned, Zadar would be a reasonable option. (If you go to Zadar, you might also consider a brief stop in Nin, which holds a tiny and very old church - the Church of the Holy Cross.) Hope that helps!
Jan 15th, 2010, 08:50 AM

About the cooking class, yes, I think the focus is going to be on regional Croatian cuisine. We're visiting the market that morning, so he said the menu will depend on what we find to a degree.

The man I've been talking to is named Alan, and you can contact him at this email address: [email protected]. I initially found him through this website www.culinary-croatia.com, and he's been nothing but wonderful helping me get this set-up with a chef in Zagreb. Culinary Croatia primarily has classes in the Dalmatia region, but he was able to arrange this for me in Zagreb. I'm really excited and think it will be a fun day!