Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 1/2 days in Florence or 2 1/2 & day trip to siena?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:43 AM
cali

1st time to italy...been reading so many good things about siena & san gimignano--wondering if I should lose a day in florence to visit them. what do you think? Also--I know there are buses that go to siena from flo. but what about san g.? do buses go from siena to san g.? too much to do both in 1 day? please help

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Kay

Absolutely lose a day to visit them. They are both charming and San G has pottery to die for. Well worth it. We loved it.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Paige

Buses go from Siena to San G. Go to the bus stop in Siena (it's by the big church that has St. Catherine's head in an alter) and inside where you buy tickets there's a machine that will give you bus schedules. I love Siena and definitely recommend going there.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:48 AM
deb

Cali, The Frommers Italy book gives good choices on getting around in Tuscany. I took the bus from Siena to San G and preferred San G. The bus took about an hour each way. You might consider a bus to San G from Florence and then on to Siena where you can take a nice comfortable train back when you are tired from the day. I also would suggest renting a car outside of Florence than having the freedom to go as you wish for the day.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Tom

Although Deb's travel route sounds better, I would reverse the order. I think Siena's Piazza del Campo is a great place to hang and have lunch during the day. San G on the other hand is a nightmare during the day with tour buses. San G is great for a nice dinner and then wander the streets in the evening after day trippers are gone (an old issue of Bon Appetit had a couple good restaurant recs for San G). <BR> <BR>PS Can you see Saint Caterina's head or is it "in" the alter? We had the best day in Siena on a morbid scavenger hunt trying to find her head when we don't speak Italian.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:00 AM
cali

Thanks for all your help!