Ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if any Fodorites have traveled on a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki?

US citizens don't require a visa and I believe it takes only a couple of hours. So, will do more research to figure out if it is worth a day trip.

Once in Helsinki, what all is there to see/experience in a matter of few hours.

Appreciate your input and your sharing of your experience.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Hoping someone has used a ferry for this short trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 07:23 AM

Hi there --

Are you looking to take the "normal time" ferry or the catamaran/high-speed ferry?

I took the slower ferry -- it took a couple hours -- from Helsinki to Tallinn back in 2004 to visit cousins there for a couple days. It was much cheaper, plus at that time of year the high-speed ferry was often canceled due to high winds on the seas and I couldn't be delayed. For a day-trip I would suggest the faster ferries.

I had a great time, actually. I met almost no other Americans (this was in early October and out of tourist season) but I met a bunch of Europeans, and Estonians/Russians/Finns. Lots of families. And on the way back, lots of people carrying beer and other alcohol since it's so much more expensive in Finland.

I was in Helsinki for 4 days and Tallinn for 3. I enjoyed Helsinki very much. There's the Market Square with the Old Market Hall which is very interesting, and Kiasma the Contemporary Art Museum, and I also went to Suomenlinna, a small island that was a military fortress. I also loved walking up and down the Esplanade, and looking in shops. Senate Square is very impressive. I also walked around a gorgeous neighborhood, just to see how people live there, and I went into the large department store downtown. I think it's definitely worth a day trip.

You might find this website helpful for visiting Helsinki:
http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/see-a...ns-in-helsinki

Hope that's helpful.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is really helpful.
Just want to go for a day trip, so will find the earliest ferry out of Tallinn and then come back late in the evening.

Considering using a Hop On Hop Off bus in Helsinki. I have never used one ever before even though I have traveled to a lot of countries. Thinking this may give me quick view of the city and then I can do some sightseeing too.

Appreciate your time and effort to help me. Have a great day.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the slow ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn. There is more than enough to see in Helsinki for a day trip, you might consider an overnight. See: http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...ain-and-shine/ and the following post (linked at the top of the page).

No need to take the hop-on-off bus, there is an excellent circular tram. See: http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/HKL_en/