Reload this Page >

London in winter

Search

London in winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 06:36 PM
Ana Flora

London in winter

I'm planning my first trip to Europe and the opportunity is to visit London next winter.I have no choice of choosing another season. Is London too cold at this period? Does anybody think I should choose another city to go?

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 10:56 PM
Martha

Ana Flora-- Coming from Brazil, you may find that any place in Europe seems cold to you. It will also seem dark; not only are the days short, but the sun never gets very high in the sky. It would be a little warmer in Lisboa, but I don't think there's enough difference to matter, if London is the city you really want to see. (We came to Europe from the Caribbean, and the "warm" parts of Europe didn't seem very warm to us!) One advantage of London is that there are good heating systems and lots of indoor activities, plus the underground, so you can do a lot without getting out in the cold. There are also beautiful woolens on sale. I'd plan on spending my souvenir money on a wool sweater! Martha

Old Sep 27th, 1998, 12:17 PM
Ellen

<BR>London would be mighty cold but not as cold as some other European destinations. On the positive side, there are lots of "indoor" attractions and you could get the most marvelous theater seats because of less competition. I went to London one time in March and it was cold. But I saw Phantom, Les Miserables, Miss Saigon that week and has nothing worse than 15th row, center tickets. So, go and enjoy! <BR>If you love it that much, maybe one day you can go back in a warmer season.

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 03:39 AM
joanne evans

I love London in the winter. It is cold but the English are all geared up for it with the central heating. There is so much to do too as a great number of tourist attractions are museum and gallery orientated. <BR> <BR>I spent three weeks there this year in June (summer) and it was really chilly and I was not well prepared for that. I had a better time the year before in winter. Also if you go around Christmas time it has a wonderful atmosphere unlike any other city I have been to.

Old Oct 2nd, 1998, 07:02 AM
L.Z

Hi, <BR>If you need accommodation in London <BR>email me, I can help. <BR>bye <BR>L.Z

Old Oct 2nd, 1998, 10:54 AM
ellen

Oh, don't worry! You will be too busy to think about the cold. My suggestion is this--layers! Wear a long sleeve shirt, topped with a vest(with lots of pockets for your stuff), and then a jacket. Try to get a jacket with a zip out lining. If you are going from outdoors to indoors with frequency, (which you will), no matter what you do for the first 10 minutes you are anywhere, you will be too hot or too cold. Pack extra socks too. Have a great time!