25th Anniversary in Paris - Hotel Help!!

Sep 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

25th Anniversary in Paris - Hotel Help!!

Hi there,

I'm helping my dad to plan a surprise trip to Paris for him and my mom for their 25th wedding anniversary. They'll be going in mid to late October. I'm trying to decide between two hotels - Hotel Francois 1er and Hotel La Tremoille. Both are in the 8th and are similarly priced. I've read good things online about both places, but I'm hoping that someone who has been there or knows about Paris can give me some advice! Most important things for my mom are the hotel is CLEAN. Other important things are convience and
Sep 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I posted too soon! I was going to say that the other important things are convenience of location and that the area surrounding the hotel is nice/authentic.

Thanks!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:58 AM

kms - that is so nice of you! What a great way to celebrate an anniversary.

I'm sure other Fodorites have stayed at those hotels, but in the meantime, have you checked their reviews on Tripadvisor? I've had great luck with them (you just have to weed out the occasional crank who gets angry over every little thing).

I hope they have a magical anniversary!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 02:48 AM

Hi

Have you seen the reviews on TA:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

Here is my Paris trip report by the way: http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . Maybe your dad can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Both hotels are fine; Tremoille is more upscale with larger rooms etc. Neither is convenient for access to the traditional tourist sites. I suggest a **** in the 6th or 7th. To be safe, book Tremoille now and then keep looking for something more convenient.
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:15 AM

I'd agree on staying somewhere a bit more atmospheric. One area I've stayed at and liked is the Ile St Louis. It's the smaller island connected to Ile de la Cite, where Notre Dame is located.

The island has nice shops, good selection of restos, easy walk to ND, cross bridge to Left Bank and its sihgts, cross other bridge and go into Marais and its sights. It has a "villagey" feel to it.

No metro on island, but not a long walk to it, RER to airport is also nearby. At night, the place gets fairly quiet, traffic is minimal. And...the views of Seine are two minutes away, there is Berthillon ice cream right there, classical concerts at the church on the island,mainly old mansions on the island, etc..

There are 3 hotels owned by the same group: Hotel Saint Louis, Hotel de Lutece, and the Hotel des Deux Iles. There is also an upscale hotel (Jeu de Paume).
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:35 AM

I'd recommend the Hôtel le Madison, in the 6th. Great location, fine small hotel; corner rooms are quite large, as are the bathrooms. The top-floor suite has great views.
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I should add that many of the best Paris hotels will already be booked solid for October, which is high season because of all the fashion and trade shows. Tell your dad to get a reservation ASAP.
Sep 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM
MaureenB

We also liked the Ille St. Louis (sp?) a lot. Very atmospheric, we thought. The hotels Michel mentions looked quite nice. We found a nice restaurant there, too-- the Caveau de L'Isle.
>-

Sep 4th, 2007, 09:42 AM

I've stayed at the three Ile St. Louis hotels (not Jeu de Paume) that the previous poster mentioned. All are really nice and clean, however, they are very simple. For me it's the location that made it extra special and I am partial to the Hotel Saint Louis which has a very welcoming staff.