Search

Seville / in DEC 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seville / in DEC 2015

Hi ALL,
First trip to Spain. We are flying into Barcelona ( Hotel MurMuri), Flying to Jerez, Staying in Conil De La Frontrera for a week, Flying out of Madrid ( hotel Moderno).
We will be staying in Conil De La Frontrera but would like to do a day trip / overnight trip to Seville. Should we drive there or take the train? Ive read in Frommers that the streets are extremely narrow and finding parking is a problem.
Any recommendations for central accomodation/ must sees in Seville?
Advice welcome.
Thanks in advance
A
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 11:34 AM

Not all streets are extremely narrow, just in the center where they are very old, like most cities. But Seville doesn't have a very extensive metro system, although you could use the bus, I guess, to get into town if you stayed somewhere on the outer parts, if you did an overnight. Doing a day trip does sound questionable with a car for no reason. Why would you even want to do that instead of taking the bus?

http://buses.costasur.com/en/bus-Conil-Seville-nr5.html
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM

oh, there is no train station in Conil, do you know that? I don't know the closest one, perhaps Cadiz.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 12:33 PM

OMG, only a day trip to Seville? I'm in Seville right now and we're here for 4 days and it doesn't do the place justice. Maybe you should save Seville for a longer visit and find another possibility for a day trip?
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 12:56 PM

We stayed in Conil last month for a week.

It is a truly wonderful little place but that was in summer. Very Spanish, very few Northern Europeans and a great community feel. The beach is just incredible with lots of migratory birds and it's a short drive to Tarifa which again is a great small town where it's possible to take boat trips to whale watch.

Sorry if all the above applies to early Autumn when we we there, I have visited Southern Spain in winter and you have absolutely no idea what to expect in terms of the weather. Anything from wonderful 22oC clear days down to 5oC, storms and driving rain. I hope you get the former.

Driving in Seville is very easy.

Simply drive down the main avenue off the motorway from Jerez. The large stadium of Real Betis is on your left. After around 4 miles you reach Plaza de Espana. There is lots of free, safe, on street parking around here. It's a 15 minute walk into the centre. If you have mobility issues get a short cab ride.

I agree with the idea that Seville is a nightmare for cars if you venture any further. The roads get smaller and smaller whilst descending into an impossible one way system.

I simply can't agree with the idea that you shouldn't go for a day simply because it isn't long enough.

Plan adequately, decide what you want to see out of the Cathedral, Plaza Del Toro, riverside ways, Barrio Santa Cruz, Alcazar and Plaza de Espana.

Seville is a grand and elegant place, reminds me of a larger Savannah.

It has shunned most of world culture, you'll see the odd McDs but most of the shops and restaurants are still Spanish.

Whilst in Conil, drive down the coast to Zahara de Los Atunes. We spent our honeymoon there, 25 years ago. It was then a sleepy, romantic tuna fishing village. It's now been taken over be the strata of Spanish society that still has money and has become a huge foodie town. We couldn't get parked for Porsches and some of the restaurants were high end contemporary. Again, I'm unsure what happens in December.

If the weather is fine, drive further down to Bolonia beach which has unspoilt Roman ruins, good restaurants and huge sand dune mountains with stunning views over to Africa.i

I spent my first few weeks of marriage here, after 25 years of travel it still has a very warm place in my heart. You still see bulls wandering on the beach and being trained to fight, many of the huge, old cortillo ranches still exist. The only shocking change for us, was the fact that's many of the estates had sold themselves out to the "blot on the landscape" which are Danish wind farms. We hate them!
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Its worth taking the longer country route to Seville via Medina Sidonia. Huge tracts of land are still owned by the wealthy wine and farming families. Much of the landscape hasn't changed for centuries.

In the past we have rented Cortillos here, the study of one contained the accounts to of the business from 2005 to 1833.

If you haven't found a place to stay then :

vintagetravel.co.uk have links with all the main sherry families. They have some stunning properties, ours had its own church!
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 04:37 PM

If I were you I would head for Seville, Cordoba and Granada. Not sure what there is in Conil - but it seems to be a tiny beach resort and not sure what there is to do in the off season.

If you like a lot of doing nothing I guess it's OK. But for me the most fascinating parts of Spain are the cities mentioned and their unique moorish heritage.

Is it possible that you have been suckered into some sort of time share there and they neglected to mention that it isn't beach weather?
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. Upon your advice, we will go to Seville for 2 nights......dinner/flamenco. Accomodation in Conil is a gift from friends. We don't mind that it won't be beach weather. Just looking forward to a new experience.
Thanks
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

" Taltul" , we havent booked a hotel yet, where are you staying? Would you recommend it?
Thanks in advance.