24 hours in the Big Smoke

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:14 AM
flygirl

24 hours in the Big Smoke

has anyone ever done this?

east coast city, fly into London Saturday morning, fly back home Sunday morning...

am I nuts? am I crazy?

this is part of why they call me flygirl.

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Mel P

Why go home Sunday morning...there are flights back to NYC at least that leave as late as 8:30-9pm, landing before midnight...at least you can make it closer to 36 hours. <g> That said, I don't think a trip that short is really worth the cost or flying time, not to mention one is usually not firing on all cylinders the rest of the day/evening after landing.

I have done plenty of "quickies" to London but make it a point to at least have 3 full days for it to be worth it. Going for a long Thanksgiving weekend next month myself...leave straight from work Wednesday night, arrive London 9AM Thursday, leave London 8:30PM Monday getting back to Newark at 11:10PM...virtually 5 full days for the cost of 1 vacation day!

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Marilyn

Flygirl, my rule is never to spend more time getting there and back than I am actually spending in the place itself. By the time you figure it door-to-door, you're getting awfully close.

Let's see, about 5 hours in the air each way, plus 2 hours at the airport each way, plus whatever your travel time to and from each airport on each end...let's say 1 hour on each end. That's about 18 hours, and you're going to be there less than 24.

I hope you have a VERY hot date in London, or really like standing in line, hanging out in airports, and flying.

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:42 PM
scarlett

It would kill me! I would really try to get at least one more day to travel on.Like Friday? Then you could leave Thurs night.
It is tempting though, isn't it?

Oct 12th, 2002, 02:00 PM
flygirl

no one has done this? maybe I should have titled it, 24 hours in London. have youse guys heard the term Big Smoke for London before? (just curious if this is regional?)

Oct 12th, 2002, 02:03 PM
anon

and what if there is a flight delay going over?

Oct 12th, 2002, 03:07 PM
fiona

and I thought I was adventurous!! I flew from Aberdeen, Scotland to Rome, went on a guided tour and flew back the same day. That involved 4 hours flying in each direction. It was a chance to see a city I probably would not have seen otherwise. However, you have a FAR longer flight to contend with ( and jetlag).Is there no way you can at least stay one more day?
What are you planning to do when you get there? With only one day you cannot really afford to find your own way about.If you haven't done so already look into guided tours. With only one day in Rome we had to make some harsh decisions and opted not to see the Vatican but to see ancient Rome. You will have to make the same sort of decisions for London.Good luck and try for that extra day!

Oct 12th, 2002, 03:19 PM
afci

Flygirl.............just do IT!!! You know London..you know what is involved...and we need and want you there!!

Oct 12th, 2002, 08:28 PM
xxx

I have never heard anyone, EVER, call it the Big Smoke.

Oct 12th, 2002, 08:46 PM
NO NO NO

Have never done it, would not do it unless forced to and paid a lot to do it.

Oct 12th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Darren

What region are you from that calls London by that name? I find it hard to believe it is used commonly.

Oct 12th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Elaine

In the UK, London's commonly called "the smoke", but I don't think I've ever heard anybody add the word "big" to it.

Oct 13th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Ira

Hey Flygirl,
Why waste the money on a hotel for Sat nite.
You can arrive in London at 9:30 AM, do some shopping, have lunch, do a little more shopping and leave on the 4:25 PM flight.
See UA schedules.

Oct 13th, 2002, 04:54 AM
good idea

good idea Ira. In fact,lets simplify it even more! Why not go to the airport, shop, have lunch, shop again and then go home. It will save all the flying time!!

Oct 13th, 2002, 05:54 AM
NYGirl

I have heard it called The Big Smoke recently here in NYC. Took a minute to figure it out
Fly away, flygirl, you can do it and what a memory that will be!

Oct 13th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Flygirl, you'll find a group of people who do things like this all the time on www.flyertalk.com. It's a world in which it makes perfect sense for people to go to Singapore and fly back seven hours later. If you enjoy the experience of flying -- as opposed to others, who view it as something to endure in order to arrive at a destination -- then it's an end in itself. When a person with elite status flies on a cheap enough ticket for a long enough distance, an argument can be made that there is little or no real cost at all because of the future travel credit and perks that are accrued.

So no, you're not nuts or crazy. Check out flyertalk and you'll find out your plan is pretty tame, all things considered. Go for it, if you like it. Don't worry about what others think of it. Don't even tell them, if you don't want to. ;-)

Happy contrails!

Oct 14th, 2002, 02:22 AM
Siobhan`

I'm not sure I could do it myself but if you can sleep on the plane over to London then go for it.

As for "the big smoke" in Ireland people refer to Dublin as the big smoke! I thought it was just over here we used that term!

Oct 14th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Elsa

No, I've never heard the term "the Big Smoke."

Oct 14th, 2002, 04:42 AM
kate

Siobhan, I think the Irish must have stolen the term. London is definately nicknamed the "Big Smoke", now shortened to "The Smoke". It dates from when London was a dark, smoky, foggy plcae caue by all the coal fires. It may not be fogbound anymore, but the nickname still stands. (I think Ackkroyd mentions it in his "London: An Autobiography").

And flygirl, you go for it. You know London, you don't need a week to get settled in. I've done it the other way round (London to NYC), and loved it. I flew out on the Friday night, back Sunday afternoon on the red eye into London in time for work on Monday. I made little attempt to adjust to the time difference, and made sure I'd planned my time so as not to waste the effort. Of course I was useless at work for the next couple of days, but so what?

Oct 14th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Paige

Did it Dallas to Honolulu once. BUT, I worked for an airline and got to fly 1st class for free!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO