Reload this Page >

York suggestions?

Search

York suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Lisa

York suggestions?

I will be spending 2 nights in York next week. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good, reasonably priced, conveniently located hotel or b&b? <BR> <BR>Also, anything I shouldn't miss in the short time I'm there? Thanks! <BR>Lisa

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 12:46 PM
fiona

We have been there several times and never book in advance- theres plenty choice. A good tip- go to the tourist information centre at about 5pm where you may well get quite a bargain- we got a 4 star hotel for the price of an average B and B. <BR>York Museum is a must. they have for example full size models of Victorian Streets and rooms through the decades. Yorvik Viking Centre is great- go early as there can be quite a queue. Outside of York(can't remember where exactly) is Eden Camp which was a prisoner of War camp and has a series of very large huts depicting WW2- one has a street during the blitz complete with sounds, smoke, and smells.One hut has you in a submarine. We intended to stay for a couple of hours but were there the day!!Just wondering about the city centre is something with its timbered houses. Go a walk on the Walls. In fact you will not manage to fit in anything like enough during your time!!!!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Linda

Second the suggestion for York Castle Museum. It is the best of its type I've seen. See the Shambles (the medieval street with timbered buildings) and the Minster (the cathedral) is a "must see". Also, take time to climb up to Clifford's Tower if you are capable of climbing the steps. The story behind it is something. Lastly, to fill one of your evenings, suggest you take one of the York Ghost Walking Tours. They are great. York is a beautiful small city and two days is just about perfect to really enjoy it. Have fun!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:05 PM
ron

I stayed at St. Raphael Guest House, 44 Queen Anne's Road, just off Bootham, back in March, and would recommend it highly. Single en-suite was £22. Very comfortable, decent breakfast, less than 10 min walk to the Minster. Janet Foster is the proprietor. She is listed in the Smoothhound directory, or tel 01904 645028. <BR> <BR>Amongst the ghost walks, the one that leaves from the King's Arms is very good, as is the one that leaves from the square in front of the art gallery. Some of the others are cheesy, with people jumping out from dark corners to scare you.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Judy

There is a butcher shop(forget the name) right on high street selling the best roasted lamb on bun for lunch,literally melt in your mouth.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Joanna

A walk around the old city walls is a must, as is the Yorvik Viking Centre, where you can enjoy the sights and smells of the tenth century!