24 hours in Edinburgh? Good idea or not?

Jan 26th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Family of five

24 hours in Edinburgh? Good idea or not?

We are headed to Germany in May. Traveling via Ireland because it's a good deal on USAirways for us. Continuing onward the morning we arrive, we could be in Edinburgh by 11:30 am, versus spending one overnight in Dublin.

We would continue our travels the following day by taking the 1 hour train to Glasgow, then EasyJet, Glasgow to Stansted, connecting to Munich.

It adds little or no extra cost. and we will get a few days in Ireland when we come back through there on the way home.

Is such a short mini-visit to Edinburgh a good idea? or not?

Jan 26th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Bill

Not.
You would be returning from Munich to Dublin to catch your flight home?

Jan 26th, 2003, 12:05 PM
janis

It would be very hectic - but certainly doable. Stay in the center of Edinburgh and you can see a lot that day. Most everything is within walking distance of Princes St/Waverly station. You can visit the castle and walk down the royal Mile. The days are long in May so you can walk around late into the evening and still have plenty of daylight. As long as you are the types who can sleep on transatlantic flights and arrive w/ any energy left.

Don't consider it 24 hours tho' - you have to travel to Glasgow and are relying on rail which can be depayed. So take an earlier train than you think necessary.

BUT --- if you know you are tired after long flights, consider continuing directly on to Stanstead from Dublin and getting a good rest before taking the next day's flight.

Jan 26th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Family of five

To Bill, yes, we plan to return from Munich to Dublin three days before our flight home to the US.

In general, we think we can use the 24 hrs in Edinburgh well, from the standpoint of our previous capacity to hit the ground running. This is our fourth trip to Europe as a family. Our daughters are 16 to 23 now.

The question was more about the compactness of Edinburgh, and what you can enjoy in an unplanned amble of the city.

Since you mentioned the unpredictable nature of train travel, janis, what about transport from the train stattion to Prestwick airport?

Jan 26th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Paul

On the question of compactness, Edinburgh is perfect in that consideration - you can easily hoof both the Old Town and New Town and get and excellent overview of the city in a very short visit.

Jan 26th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Bill

Oh, ok. So, you'll have some time in Dublin on your return. You can hit the ground running, excellent. It is compact, as the others have said. I'll change my answer to:
sounds like fun

At the Burger King at Edinburgh station, I ordered a coffee. The boy brought it out, with a lid, and asked me a question in English. I did not understand a single word he said. I knew what the question had to be, so I just said "no thanks, I'll take it black".

Jan 26th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Curious

You are doing US - Dublin - Edinburgh - Glasgow - and Stansted to get to your vacation in Munich? How much did this save you vs a US gateway city direct to Munich?

Jan 26th, 2003, 03:13 PM
johnl

Definitely try to see Edinburgh, even for a brief visit. It has great visual impact and you can see the highlights in one day.

Jan 26th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Cindy

Yes, do see Edinburgh! It's absolutely enchanting, and very compact. I'm sure there's lots to see all around, but just being there on the Royal Mile for a day will be lots of fun, I vote yes, yes, yes!

Jan 26th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Family of five

It does sound funny once you point it out like that.

We wanted to see Ireland for one thing. So until yesterday, the plan was PHL-DUB, then DUB-STN-MUC and it was saving us about $100 per person. Plus the side trip to Ireland was like a free side benefit.

But then pecking around, we found this cheap onward connection to Edinburgh, and we thought we would like it more than staying in Dublin twice. We also didn't have any interest to spend the night in London. Spent a week there two years ago.

We could fly EDI to STN. It will cost about $30 more per person to do that. And the connection is better from Glasgow.

I think I like the idea of finding the cheaper ways to piece an itinerary together.

Jan 26th, 2003, 06:25 PM
janis

OK Family - you now have a problem. You said you were traveling through Glasgow. Naturally we assumed you meant Glasgow airport - but now you mention Prestwick. Prestwick is not very near Glasgow. It is about 35 miles SW on the Ayrshire coast. So your transport is a problem. You will have to travel into one train station in Glasgow and then cross several blocks across the city to another station to get the train to Prestwick (near Ayr).

You need to allow a minimum three hours from Edinburgh to Prestwick allowing for travel between the stations etc. And possibly more.

Jan 26th, 2003, 06:29 PM
janis

Oops - hit post before I was done - - -

I would definitely spend the extra $30 to fly from Edinburgh to Stanstead. The trip across to Prestwick would take 3+ hours out of your limited time in Edinburgh, and it would definitely be a TREK. The convenience and time savings should certainly be worth $30 per person - even for five.

Jan 27th, 2003, 07:23 AM

topping for Family of five
Jan 27th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Definitely a good idea!

Edinburgh is a beautiful and compact city. Its a 20 minute taxi or bus ride from the airport and everything worth seeing is within walking distance. The open top bus tours are very popular and a quick and easy way of seeing the main places - The Castle, Royal Mile, Calton Hill, Arthurs Seat, Princes Street Gardens and George Street.
You can fly with EasyJet from Edinburgh to Stansted unless you really wanted to go to Glasgow as well.
Hope this helps