Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   24 hours and I am up up and away!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/24-hours-and-i-am-up-up-and-away-123067/)

Beth Anderson May 9th, 2001 01:58 PM

24 hours and I am up up and away!!

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I am exactly 24 hours from takeoff. I am accompanying Gina as she researches for her book on disabled access to London... <BR> <BR>We will be visiting many sites, most of them with a wheelchair. Should be a very interesting and powerful experience. It will be interesting to see how people treat wheelchair users, and the various challenges involved in navigating one. I have no doubt I will come away from this experience with a great deal of enlightenment and thankfulness for my abled-ness. <BR> <BR>I will also be visiting my friends while I am there, I've been over enough times that I have a nice little network going now! They hope to meet up with us at the various places we visit for her research. <BR> <BR>One friend invited me to his wedding when I told him of the impending visit - so that should be fun. I know his brother and sister in law who live three miles away from me - I have not seen them since last year, and, it is ironic to think that I will travel 3000 miles to visit with them (of course they will be at the wedding...) <BR> <BR>Nancy - I just read your post on visiting a friend overseas, who lives 350 miles away - thought you would find that amusing...! <BR> <BR>see you all in about ten days maybe! <BR> <BR>Beth

s.fowler May 9th, 2001 02:01 PM

Wow. That's an interesting and very helpful perspective to take -- I hope you BOTH have a wonderful time.

Maira May 9th, 2001 02:51 PM

Beth and Gina--- have a great time and please post back, not only details of yout trip from a special perspective, but on the book progress.

nancy May 9th, 2001 03:11 PM

Beth, <BR>I hope you and Gina have a great time. <BR>You mentioned that it will be interesting to the response a wheelchair gets, <BR>How is this going to work? <BR>Is Gina taking one? <BR>I thought I read on a previous post of hers, that her father uses a wheelchair. <BR>Just interested. <BR> <BR>Havge a blast at the wedding. <BR>I can believe that (going 3000 miles to see neighbors) <BR>One of my closest friends from college lives about 1/4 mile away. <BR>26 yrs later, and families to deal with, <BR>how often do we visit or see each other? <BR>A handful of times a yr, usually at the postoffice or at Town Meeting Day. <BR> <BR>Again, you and Gina enjoy yourselves. <BR>Hope the weather is warm, AND sunny. :) <BR>

Beth Anderson May 10th, 2001 03:24 AM

and I STILL have not packed yet... <BR> <BR>(yes I am that bad...) <BR> <BR>:-) <BR> <BR>

s.fowler May 10th, 2001 03:31 AM

But have you "practice" packed?? Have a wonderful time Beth -- and bring back some great pictures.

nancy May 10th, 2001 03:47 AM

Bye Beth! <BR>Hope you are packed now. <BR>Sally, does Beth put her pics on your site? <BR>Could you post the site here or send it to me at the above? <BR>I would love to check it out, but lost the address. <BR>Thanks. <BR>Have fun Beth! <BR>

s.fowler May 10th, 2001 04:56 AM

Yup, Beth A. has pictures of England, Eire and Italy on the "fodorite" site. It is at: http://it.uwp.edu/fowler/fodor.htm <BR> <BR>Just click on "pictures" and voila!

Thyra May 10th, 2001 08:31 AM

Hey Beth and Gina... have a wonderful wonderful trip... can you see my green face????? <BR>Bon Voyage... please have fun!

nancy May 10th, 2001 10:20 AM

Oh Thank You Sally!! <BR>Now , I have a new site to browse and become addicted to :o <BR>I tried it through Yahoo, and came up with nothing, <BR>I almost came back here to post my computer ignorance, but decided to try one more time, not through Yahoo. <BR>It worked and it is on favorites now! <BR>Thanks again! <BR>

Dawn May 10th, 2001 10:33 AM

Congratulations Beth! Have a great time. We will see you at the Fodorites lunch on the 26th? Monica is is Greece. We'll have alot to talk about.

Beth Anderson May 10th, 2001 10:46 AM

Hi all <BR> <BR>Happy to report that I am NOW packed, and in 20 mins Gina will be here. <BR> <BR>I did have to make a dry cleaning run though... <BR> <BR>Nancy, your talk of Korean food made me make a detour to a Korean grocery store near here to pick up some munchies before I headed out... I am chowing down now. <BR> <BR>yumyum <BR>:-) <BR> <BR>Dawn - I do plan to be there on the 27th. (??) I have a wedding on the 26th - are you sure it is the 26th? I thought it was Sunday? anyway... see you soon I hope!

Beth Anderson May 19th, 2001 04:25 PM

I am back! as of a few hours ago... <BR> <BR>will post later. <BR> <BR>am heading out for a tall one. (beer, although hopefully a tall guy too, ha ha) <BR> <BR>no rest for the wicked.