24-Hour Restuarants in London?

Apr 14th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

24-Hour Restuarants in London?

I went to London about a month ago (adored the city), but I couldn't find a single restaurant that was open 24-hours! Are there any, or is there some type of law prohibiting such places? I own a restaurant here in the U.S. that is open 24/7, so I find this interesting!
Apr 14th, 2005, 06:26 PM

There are a handful of places - but not many.

The only ones I know of personally are a bagel shop in Brick Lane (which I forget the name of) and Vingt quatre on the Fullham rd in South Kensington. I think there are also a couple of old time diner-type places, and some that are open until 6 a.m. but are not 24-hour.

But you certainly could starve if you wait until after midnight or maybe 2 a.m. to get a bite to eat.
Apr 14th, 2005, 06:54 PM

A few restaurants in Chinatown stay open to about 4 am. No law prohibiting 24-hour opening as such, but alcohol sale is restricted to licensing hours, which for most restaurants finish around 11 pm - midnight. I've found a list of late-dining restaurants in London: http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/home_feat_where_eatlate.asp
Only about 5 are open round the clock.
Apr 14th, 2005, 07:01 PM

The 24/7/365 phenomenon is pretty new to England. Even Sunday shopping was unusual (illegal) as recently as the early 90s. I don't recall the specifics but I do remember that the change in the law allowing shops to operate on Sunday was pretty controversial.

The bagel place is Beigel Bake at the top of Brick Lane. It's a take away place, fantastic bagels, a bit out of the way for most people staying in central London.

Bar Italia on Frith Street in Soho is open 24 hours. Good coffee and sandwiches. I

A few of the big groceries are open 24 hours.
Apr 14th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info! Being in the restaurant business, I immediately had a billion restaurant concepts for the late-night crowd...it amazes me that in a city with such vibrant nitelife there aren't many places to go out to eat in those wee hours of the morning!
Apr 14th, 2005, 09:03 PM

Sounds like about 95% of the US as well to me.
Apr 14th, 2005, 10:01 PM

How would that compare to NYC?
Apr 15th, 2005, 02:45 AM

I never understand people wanting to eat at 4 in the morning. If I'm out late, I've usually had something to eat at the normal "dinner time", by the time I reach the small hours of the morning I couldn't face food, certainly nothing greasy, how revolting.

Certain supermarkets do actually open twenty four hours at a time; this is designed for shoppers who work night shifts, and has so far proved somewhat of a success. Social dining at strange times really wouldn't work, there's no calling for it. Just be sensible and eat while you're out - I hate to imagine how people today would survive on WWII rations.
Apr 15th, 2005, 03:16 AM

Go to Balans, on Old Compton Street. For some reason it shuts at 5am and opens again at 8pm, so I can't really see the point of it closing, but anyway, it's pretty close to 24 hour, and very popular with the local clubbing crowd.

www.balans.co.uk
Apr 15th, 2005, 03:18 AM

sorry that should be it closes at 5am and opens at 8AM!

heavy night last night.

grabbed a cornish pastie on my way home from the pub, that's as much late night dining as I was in the mood for.
Apr 15th, 2005, 06:30 AM

I tell you what strikes me as odd -- even all the coffee shops like Pret and Manger and others don't open until late on Sunday. I can't tell you the amount of walking in the west end/Covent Garden area I've done around 8 to 9 AM in the morning on Sunday looking for anyplace to get a cup of coffee!!
Apr 15th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Well there's your answer Patrick - up and out by 8am on a Sunday?! Nutter!

Do as the locals do, and sleep in.

Search this Thread