Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

24 hour notice - our apartment in paris - cancelled

Sep 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

In June we rented and apartment in Paris for a week...we leave in 24 hours. This morning at 6 I received an email informing me that during some kitchen remodeling the plumbing became more of a problem than expected and our apartment is not available. The owner has suggested that she refund our payment or she will try to find an apartment that is as nice or better.

What do you think of this? Is it possible to find an available apartment at this late date. I have a very important meeting this afternoon and really have no time to research a hotel or apartment...plus I can't imagine that there is any availibty.

If we cancel what about our airline tickets? American Air - economy seats

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Sep 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Let her do it....
Dupher
Sep 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM

It is extremely unprofessional of the woman to have emailed you, as opposed to calling you. What if you had already departed? You would have arrived there tomorrow (or Thursday) to find an apartment that's not ready.

Get on the phone with this woman and INSIST that she find you a new apartment. And since she's probably just going to look for whatever is her cheapest option, you should reiterate that you have every expectation that the new apartment will be an improvement on the old one. Given all of the last minute hassle, this is the least she should do for you.

Best of luck.
Sep 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I do agree she should have called you, but what do you expect her to do? She doesn't have an apt. IF you've ever owned a home, you know such things can happen. She said she will try to find you one, but we have no idea what her contacts or resources are. It seemed you are under no obligation to take it if she finds one, or she will refund your money.

I don't know what else you expect her to do, but unless renting an apt. was the sum total reason for your vacation, I can't imagine getting so hung up on that that you would actually cancel your entire vacation. Although it's difficult to find hotels for this time in Paris, anyway, but you never know.

If your whole vacation was focused on this apt. rental experience, sure, cancel if you can. You usually only have about a $100 change fee for airline tickets. Better than going and spending everything for a vacation you don't want.
Sep 25th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I was curious what agency you used, and read your original posts on this topic where you were renting directly from an owner you didn't know from a website that isn't an agency. Sometimes that works out fine, but this is also what can happen.