Reload this Page >

24 hour London restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:05 AM
Lisa

I'll be arriving from Heathrow on Valentine's Day and 9:00pm. My husband and I will probably be sorted and ready for something to eat by 11:00 ish. My dear freind who lives in Clapham seems to think that dining options will be far and few at such a time. We're not looking for a romantic meal in any of the Terrance Conran empire, just a rustic, filling pub meal if necessary.<BR><BR>Any reccomendations?<BR><BR>Many Thanks,<BR><BR>lisa

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:06 AM
Nick

Do not expect a pub meal or 4 star hotel at that time. Just go for the Chinese or Indian restaurants - they are just as authentic British experience as a pub, with various statistics suggesting Tikka Masala is the most commonly bought dish in the UK now. You could always get take away. Your friend does not seem to realise that Indian food after a boozy session in the pubs is a pretty normal thing in the UK. The Indian near my flat is often only busy after the pubs close.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:44 AM
Siobhan

I remember a night out we hadin London 2 years ago where we missed dinner as we had tickets to a tv show and got out late. We headed up to Chinatown and had a great meal in Feng Shui. Noe sure of the street but the other restaurants in Chinatown looked good as well. Guaranteed to be open late. Indian is also a sure bet like nick said. Even in Dublin there is a few Kebab houses and Indian Restaurants open into the night

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:37 AM
janis

If you land at 9PM you will likely not be &quot;sorted and ready for something to eat by 11:00 ish&quot;. Sure there are fewer flights landing at that time of night - but there are also fewer immigration officers on duty, etc. Do not count on getting off the plane, collecting your bags, and through immigration until after 10 or 10:30PM. By the time you get to your hotel and check in it could be well after midnight. A little late even for a Chinese or Indian meal.<BR><BR>One option - if you find you are running late - is to simply eat at LHR. The restaurants there will be open and you won't have to hike around looking for something to eat in the wee small hours. Then go into London.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
Laurie

Lisa-Did a search for you (since I was also interested in this dilemma) &amp; found the following options listed in Frommers in case Chinese or Indian are not what you had in mind. The other option is room service?!<BR>Quaglino's (which is T Conran)open til midnight or 1 am for burger or steak<BR>Atlantic Bar &amp; Grill til 3am at Picadilly Circus<BR>Circus -last orders at midnight or bar menu til 1:30am<BR>Mezzo in Soho open til 1 or 3<BR><BR>I don't think you'll find a pub serving food at that hour. These places seem to cater to after theater crowd<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
david west

Soho is buzzing until about 3am, with plenty of eateries open*. There are a few chinese restaurants open in chinatown until the very small hours, and one in Charing Cross rd (opposite curzon cinema) open all night.<BR><BR><BR>* these mainly cater to a gay clientele - but are fine for straight people. I use them all the time.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:52 AM
lisa

Thank you all so much for taking the time to sort this out for me <BR><BR>lisa

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Christy

I've also heard of a place called the Fox &amp; Anchor that is open 24/7, and serves breakfast all day (as well as other stuff)... you can even get champagne or guinness with it