Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

23 nights in Italy. Itinerary suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Carol

My partner and I are spending most of the month of May in Italy. It is our first trip abroad. We will fly in and out of Milan. We plan to rent a car. Based on books and no experience, I have charted this course, in order: Milan=2nites, Bellagio=2, Venice=3, Florence=2, Siena=3, Sorrento=3, Rome=3, Cinque Terre=2, Milan=1. Am I trying to drive too far between beds? I have 2 nites unaccounted, but I don't think I want to add a destination, just use them as "padding". I welcome and thank you for all suggestions and comments.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Larry

You are hitting most of the high points. I have been to the city of Lucca near Pisa and recommend a visit. It is quite lovely. Pisa, for all the hype (and tourists) is really worth seeing. While in Sorrento try to get down to Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello, all very beautiful. Driving is impossible unless you are a dare devil. We stayed at the Minerva in Sorrento and found it quite lovely.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:59 PM
wayne

I drove around Italy, similar to your itineary in the same amt of time in Oct 99. I added Assisi and loved it. We used Florence as a 4 nite base to see Tuscany becos we didn't want the hassle of packing and moving. We took in San G, Siena and the countryside in betw. IMO, 3 nites in Siena is too long,3 nites in Sorrento is too long. Anacapri and Positano are nicer.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Vita

I loved Florence and Rome and would suggest possibly adding your extra nights there. <BR><BR>Also, you might be too jet lagged to do this but, since you need to return to Milan anyway, why don't you head straight to Bellagio and spend your last two nights in Milan? Then use that extra night for something else. I've never been to Milan or Bellagio, but that might save you some time. <BR><BR>I also agree that 3 nights in Siena might be too long. I spent 4 nights in Siena and got board after a couple of nights, but I didn't have a car and was stuck there in the evenings.<BR><BR>I envy you. You're going to have a great time!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:39 PM
ron

Siena for three is two much . Consider adding one more day to Florence or even two and take bus or drive to Luca and Siena. Driving isn't easy. I spent 21 days in Nov. and used a car only for Tuscany . Driving to Cinque Terra will be a nightmare. Alsoit takes awhole day of travelling to get to CT.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Kay

Hi Carol,<BR>I have visited all places on your list except I was in Lugano, not <BR>Bellagio. I would:<BR>spend one night in Milan or as suggested above, if you have the energy, go straight to Bellagio or<BR><BR>arrive Milan - train to Venice <BR>you won't need a car there, so<BR>Venice 3 train to Bellagio<BR>Bellagio 3 train to Florence<BR>Florence 3 drive to Siena<BR>Siena 2 train or drive to Sorrento<BR>Sorrento 3 train to Rome <BR>Rome 4 train to CT<BR>Milan 1 train or drive to Milan<BR><BR>I would group those places together depending on whether you need a car or not. I would not use a car to get to Venice. In Bellagio you can use the ferries, and you don't want to drive into old town in Florence looking for your hotel, so I put those together. Then you can drive to Siena and Sorrento and or take a train to Sorrento and hire a driver, take the bus, or a tour, or drive (I wouldn't drive) whatever to see the Amalfi coast. You need more time in Rome and Florence, but definitely not a car. Don't forget to check distances on viamichelin.com and train connections on the european rail schedules. Travel times can be deceiving as mentioned. Just to check out of your room, get a rental car or get to the train station, arrival, check-in, etc. takes time. I would use a car only in Siena and maybe, if you want, Bellagio. You will not need a car while visiting Florence, Venice, & Rome. You may not want one in the CT, we didn't stay there, but in Portofino and left the car in the garage the entire time. <BR><BR>I think you have chosen your itinerary well! I will be in Italy in May too! <BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Lexma90

From Rome to the Cinque Terre is a very long drive - are you sure you want to do that to yourself? Consider, if you really want to visit CT (IMO, it's worth the visit!), Milan - Cinque Terre - Florence - Venice - Siena - Sorrento - Rome.<BR><BR>Also, especially for your first trip abroad, you're moving around a lot. With that long away from home, you may decide to spend more days in at least one of your destinations.<BR><BR>Thirdly, consider the amount of time you want to spend in cities versus more rural locales (are you a city or a country type?).<BR><BR>I would definitely add one of your extra days to Florence. Even if you're not real interested in museums, the city itself is interesting to spend time in.<BR><BR>I don't necessarily think that 3 days in Siena is a bad idea; you can use that (or a nearby town) as a base to explore Tuscany.<BR><BR>Lastly, you said you'd fly in and out of Milan. Is there any way you can get an open jaws flight? Then you can save yourselves the trek back to Milan from the south of Italy.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Vincenzo

Carol,<BR>note that May is a spring month where, in Italy spring and fall are quite different between North and South of Italy. In other words in South of Italy spring is almost already summer and in North of Italy spring is almost winter still.<BR>So, I'd suggest you to have a flight from Milan to Naples to match spring in South and day after day go from South to North. <BR>Naples 2 days.<BR>Train by Naples to Sorrento.<BR>Sorrento 3 days.<BR>Sorrento - Naples - Rome by train.<BR>Rome: 4 days.<BR>By train Rome - Florence.<BR>Florence: 3 days.<BR>Before departure from Florence you rent a car and drive along the Tuscany hills toward Siena.<BR>Siena: 1 day enough to visit the town but also 3 days to visit this wonderful subset of Tuscany.<BR>From Siena, driving you achieve the Tirreno Sea and you have it on the left side and you drive toward Cinque Terre.<BR>During the travel, views are wonderful and every restaurant is a good stop to have lunch.<BR>Cinque Terre: 2 days.<BR>From La Spezia, close to Cinque Terre, you drive cutting Italy from West to East and you view flat and hills. You arrive at Venice.<BR>Venice: 3 days.<BR>From Venice you drive toward Bellagio that's your aim but, travelling, you can visit Garda Lake ( on May, Garda Lake is better than Como Lake ).<BR>I suggest 1 night at Sirmione on Garda Lake.<BR>Sirmione: 1 day.<BR>Bellagio: 2 days.<BR>Bellagio - Milan.<BR>Milan: 1 day.<BR>It's a good trip. <BR>It's a good idea to rent car from Florence and not for the whole trip because to drive in Rome and in Naples isn't a relax and train is better and speeder.<BR>Ciao.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Patrick

Just in case you aren't confused enough yet with these suggestions, here are a couple more thoughts.<BR>Renting a car is great, but I'd arrive in Milan (presumably by noon?) spend that day and night there and then take the train to Venice the next day. After your three nights in Venice take the train to Florence for your two nights, then get your car as you are leaving Florence, saving some 5 to 6 days car rental and avoiding the drive and parking problems of Venice and Florence. And since you are returning for a final night in Milan, I think just one each at the beginning and end is fine. Also, by this train suggestion, I'd end up at Bellagio for your two nights after the Cinque Terre just before your final return to Milan, a great relaxing place to end up. Now that I've saved you an extra night (stealing from Milan) what should you do with that one? I'd add a single night in Capri. Leave your car in Sorrento and go out by boat for a full day and night, returning the next day. Incidentally your hotel in Sorrento will probably hold your luggage for you so you only need to travel light to Capri with an overnight bag. You will thank me for this Capri suggestion later.<BR>I don't agree that 3 nights is too much for Siena -- well, actually yes it is, but I'm assuming you're going to be going out for day trips in Tuscany during your stay. My personal choice would be staying those three nights in Sam Gimagnano instead of Sienna, more magical at night, unless you are looking for some night life. If so, stick with Siena.<BR>Oh, I just noticed your extra two nights. OK for padding, but I'd think in terms of an extra day in Sorrento (for some extra travel to Amalfi and Positano as well as Pompeii and Naples) and an extra day in Rome.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:01 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Carol, I concur with Patrick. I was about to say nearly the same but he beat me to it. Use the rails for the first part and save Bellagio for the end. Get your car as you leave Florence and stay outside of Siena. Let me know if you need specifics.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:15 AM
david

Lucky you! Whatever you do definitely include some time in the countryside. One of the greatest things about Italy is it's lifestyle. A great way to appreciate this is by spending some time in some of the smaller towns. I highly recommend an "agriturismo" which is like a country-side bed and breakfast sometimes located on a far. A great place in Tuscany is called Il Poggio in Celle Sul Righe. It has horseback riding, two beautiful pools and an outstanding restaurant. The price is right too. A few days at a place like this in between the big cities will definitely add to your enjoyment of Italy.